Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2018 6:41:24 PM EDT
Research over the decades has waffled on which is the dominant influence, nature or nurture. Most current research puts it around a 50/50 split, though certain dynamics can tilt it in one way or the other. Which do you think generally plays a more significant role in how a person turns out, nature or nurture?

*in the poll dev/behavior disorder = developmental/behavioral disorder (like autism, ADHD, downs syndrome, etc.), and w/o = without

Poll in bound
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Want to bet $1 on it?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I want to think I have faith so I would go with “Nurture”.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Genetics almost always wins.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#4]
It's both to varying degrees.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I come from a long line of pissy, low end scam artists and thugs.

I was raised by the worst of the bunch. A bipolar narccistic psychopath in situations that drove weaker children to narcotics and worse.

What am I?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Where's the video of the monkey rape cage?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#8]
My daughter is adopted and is basically a clone of me in terms of personality.  We share no DNA, but the influence of my wife and I is abundantly clear.

Our next daughter will be genetically ours, so it will be interesting to see how her personality develops.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Nature sets the distribution (Gaussian), nurture sets where in the distribution you fall.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Want to bet $1 on it?
View Quote
I see what you did there Mortimer.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Absolutely nature wins. Nurture may appear to be winning until puberty, but puberty brings out the animal instincts that drive all human behavior.

I am 100% certain that genetics plays a super dominant role in behavior, and how one is raised only causes temporary effects. Just look at gays. It’s not like they were raised to be gay, their genetics tells them what they want, period. The role of “nurture” is waaaay overstated.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I think it very difficult to answer your question objectively. Some of the genetic disorders I would say are nature. While I think non genetic behavior disorders are more likely a nurture issue .
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Its both OP. I can see my kid attempting to make the same mistakes I did and my parents failed to correct. I step in and correct thoroughly before he has an opportunity to fuck up. My answer is: Nature can make you a fuck up but nurture can fix or stifle it given enough effort.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Pick both. Some stuff is genetics, but other is parenting.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#15]
We want to believe it's nurture, that we have control.

But, as with horses and dogs, breeding is where it's at.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think it very difficult to answer your question objectively. Some of the genetic disorders I would say are nature. While I think non genetic behavior disorders are more likely a nurture issue .
View Quote
How could genetic disorders be anything but nature?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:21:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Nature sets your potential.

Nurture gives you a chance to fulfill it.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You do not have exposure to environmental triggers.  Your genetic disorder is not manifested.

You are highly prone to, say, cocaine addiction.  You grow up, go to school, marry, and live in an environment where you have never been offered to try cocaine or seen anybody with crack.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Current research on Type 1 Diabetes believes that people get it due to a combination to a genetic predisposition and an environmental trigger.  So while not a behavior disorder, its a disease that has both a genetic and environmental component.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Genetic research into behavior and specifically intelligence is suppressed.  Most researchers that deal with IQ linked to genetics are labeled racists.  The main narrative today (leftism) requires the populace to generally believe nurture is the predominant influence.  But its becoming more clear that its not true.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm still too early in the game to definitively say much. My son is 7 years old.

My son is adopted. We've had him home since he was 3 days old.  He is 95% just like me, and tries to be just like his daddy.  However, he does have some traits that are not so much me.

I keep in touch with the biological mother and she has an adult daughter and son.  She's told me that she saw the same traits that I described in her children.  I feel that there's definitely a genetic component there.

I'll maintain-- and admit that it may have some bias to it-- that nurture is stronger than nature, but I'll NEVER assert that nature isn't an influencing factor.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, at least in my son’s case and his half sister’s case. same nurturing, genetics took over, they are opposites.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#23]
In a typical “nuclear family” the nature & nurture are closely tied, because mom & dad provided the DNA & may or may not be involved in their childrens lives.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#24]
id say 50 50

a person could be born broken, or they can be made broken
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Measured in childhood, the inherited percentage of traits like IQ can be appear as low as .3. In mature adulthood, it can be up to .8.

Nurture is not only easy to overestimate, it is like noise that is cleared out over time.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Nature vs nurture?

Either way, it’s the parents fault.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:19:27 PM EDT
[#27]
No pole option for dont give a crap
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Poll fail. BOTH
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Genetics. Look at the research from the Univ of MN on identical twins raised in different environments by different adoptive parents.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#30]
"How the kid turns out" is too imprecise a term to permit a sensible answer.

Try again, and be more specific.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top