Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Posted: 1/19/2019 9:53:04 PM EDT
Edit:  Ok...I stand corrected..

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/19/us/teens-mock-native-elder-trnd/index.html

Taitano said the whole incident started when the teens and four young African-Americans, who'd been preaching about the Bible nearby, started yelling and calling each other names.
It got pretty intense, Taitano said, so Nathan Phillips, an elder with the Omaha tribe, started playing his drum and chanting what she was told was a healing prayer, to help defuse the situation.
Phillips walked through the crowd, and Taitano said things were starting to calm down until he got to the grinning boy seen in the video.
"This one kid just refused to move and he just got in Nathan's face," she said.
Other boys circled around, she said. "They just surrounded him and they were mocking him and mocking the chant. We really didn't know what was going to happen there."
Phillips is a Vietnam veteran who says he served between 1972 and 1976. He is a former director of the Native Youth Alliance and holds an annual ceremony honoring Native American veterans in Arlington National Cemetery.

"I was scared, I was worried for my young friends. I don't want to cause harm to anyone," Philips told CNN's Sara Sidner. "I don't like the word 'hate.' I don't like even saying it, but it was hate unbridled. It was like a storm."
The crowd kept growing as Phillips and the boy stood face to face, but Phillips kept on chanting and playing his drum.
"What the young man was doing was blocking my escape. I wanted to leave. I was thinking, 'How do I get myself out of this? I want to get away from it,'" Phillips said.
Taitano said the standoff continued until a chaperone came and led the teens away for a photograph.
Some of the boys could be seen wearing hoodies and jackets with the name of Covington Catholic High School, an all-boys' school in Northern Kentucky.
The school's website said a group of students had planned to attend Friday's March for Life rally in Washington.
The school is part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Covington, and in a statement given to CNN affiliate WLWT, spokeswoman Laura Keener said the diocese would investigate the incident and take appropriate action.
"We condemn the actions of the Covington Catholic High School students towards Nathan Phillips specifically, and Native Americans in general, Jan. 18, after the March for Life, in Washington, D.C. We extend our deepest apologies to Mr. Phillips. This behavior is opposed to the Church's teachings on the dignity and respect of the human person.
"The matter is being investigated and we will take appropriate action, up to and including expulsion. We know this incident also has tainted the entire witness of the March for Life and express our most sincere apologies to all those who attended the March and all those who support the pro-life movement."
CNN has reached out to the school and diocese for comment.
Taitano, who is from Guam, said she was raised to treat her elders with respect so it hurt to see them treat Phillips so badly.
Phillips also appeared upset in a video Taitano posted after the confrontation. He wiped away tears as he talked about the chants of "build that wall."

"I wish I could see that energy of the young mass of young men to, you know, put that energy into, you know, making this country really, really great by helping those who are hungry, you know," Philips said.
CNN's Sara Sidner, Amanda Watts and Deanna Hackney contributed to this report.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the drummer NA guy walked up on the teenager and 'got in his face'
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the drummer NA guy walked up on the teenager and 'got in his face'
View Quote
not what it looks like to me, looks like the guy was working his way through the crowd...but I'll re-watch the video later...
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#3]
No one shot, raped, or given a Bronx party hat.....something different about these teens?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I think DUPE
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I think DUPE
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#6]
CNN will report the facts
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I was wrong and can admit it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah it's a dupe but the other thread was titled poorly. I'm too lazy to link it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#9]
No he didn’t.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Media manufactured hype over nothing. “Confront” is a stretch for what happened.

The kid’s just standing there. Who on earth would get riled up over this video if the media wasn’t telling you to get riled up over it?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Fuck they’re grasping at straws to deflect all the shitty press.  For fuck sales if a teenager being a dip shit is news then there would be no time to report on anything else.  Maybe they should go to South East or PG county where teens are busy fucking slaughtering each other and committing real crimes
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#12]
We're the teens that were speaking about the Bible related to the"Black Israelites" by chance?  Those fuckers are.just plain retarded.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I watched it again.  It still looks to me like the NA drummer is walking thorough the crowd and walks up to the teenager and stops right in front of him.  He could have turned either way like he had been doing in the crowd earlier but chose to stop walking and stand there beating his drum in front of the kid.  I just don't see anything that's a big deal like the headline reads.  Trying to make the kid out to be confrontational.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Literally Hitler.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Some kids really need to have their ass beat.

I need to retract that, it apeard he was being a punk but apparently was not.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Media manufactured hype over nothing. “Confront” is a stretch for what happened.

The kid’s just standing there. Who on earth would get riled up over this video if the media wasn’t telling you to get riled up over it?
View Quote
I read through the article and watched the shoddy video, it didn’t look like the NA man was trapped as he claimed? If he wanted to leave then stop focusing on your drum and walk away...?

Kids are dipshits that’s true but I don’t see how people are getting upset over this, or how it’s the white man/Trump’s fault like I’m hearing on FB.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:16:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I watched it again.  It still looks to me like the NA drummer is walking thorough the crowd and walks up to the teenager and stops right in front of him.  He could have turned either way like he had been doing in the crowd earlier but chose to stop walking and stand there beating his drum in front of the kid.  I just don't see anything that's a big deal like the headline reads.  Trying to make the kid out to be confrontational.
View Quote
This thread, like the other one, will attract resident leftists, retards who think catholic school kids are trust fund babies, and people who marvel at the emperors shiny clothes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Kid looks like Joey Logano.  Would have been a good punch just for that.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I watched the videos, and I agree.

"...but it was hate unbridled. It was like a storm."  WTF?  I saw nothing hateful there.

"What the young man was doing was blocking my escape. I wanted to leave. I was thinking, 'How do I get myself out of this?' I want to get away from it..."  This leads me to believe that the old man is a lying sack of shit, unless something else happened before or after the videos I saw.  The teen, though smug, was standing passively in front of him, and made no threatening gesture of any sort.  Others on the other sides were either not paying attention at all or watching the craziness go on from yards away.  He could have turned left, right, or about and gone on his merry way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:24:33 PM EDT
[#20]
No one would ever think to wear a MAGA hat and stir some shit up to make us look bad, would they.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:25:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Change nothing in that video but the hat. What’s the reaction?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Yawn.

Anybody else miss the good old days before every asshole in the world carried a video camera around in their pocket?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Are you for the wall or against it?
That native doesn't want any walls and the teenager called him on it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Saw a video of it earlier. The kid blocking the old man was a smug little shit desperately in need of having his ass beaten, and those around him weren’t any better. He had a very, very punchable face.

I sincerely hope they feel the sting of some nasty consequences
View Quote
LMAO you and the OP got suckered BIGTIME

https://twitter.com/Uncle_Jimbo/status/1086796139817504768
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#25]
This happened in my state, The school pulled down their FB page. Shits gone down over this, the Archdiocese has apparently started an investigation as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:47:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is why we can't have anything nice..video at link

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/19/us/teens-mock-native-elder-trnd/index.html

Granted, kids are largely dipshits at that age, but it's unlikely I or the kids I hung out with at that age would have don't crap like that...and Im pretty sure this isn't how you Make America Great Again

Taitano said the whole incident started when the teens and four young African-Americans, who'd been preaching about the Bible nearby, started yelling and calling each other names.
It got pretty intense, Taitano said, so Nathan Phillips, an elder with the Omaha tribe, started playing his drum and chanting what she was told was a healing prayer, to help defuse the situation.
Phillips walked through the crowd, and Taitano said things were starting to calm down until he got to the grinning boy seen in the video.
"This one kid just refused to move and he just got in Nathan's face," she said.
Other boys circled around, she said. "They just surrounded him and they were mocking him and mocking the chant. We really didn't know what was going to happen there."
Phillips is a Vietnam veteran who says he served between 1972 and 1976. He is a former director of the Native Youth Alliance and holds an annual ceremony honoring Native American veterans in Arlington National Cemetery.

"I was scared, I was worried for my young friends. I don't want to cause harm to anyone," Philips told CNN's Sara Sidner. "I don't like the word 'hate.' I don't like even saying it, but it was hate unbridled. It was like a storm."
The crowd kept growing as Phillips and the boy stood face to face, but Phillips kept on chanting and playing his drum.
"What the young man was doing was blocking my escape. I wanted to leave. I was thinking, 'How do I get myself out of this? I want to get away from it,'" Phillips said.
Taitano said the standoff continued until a chaperone came and led the teens away for a photograph.
Some of the boys could be seen wearing hoodies and jackets with the name of Covington Catholic High School, an all-boys' school in Northern Kentucky.
The school's website said a group of students had planned to attend Friday's March for Life rally in Washington.
The school is part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Covington, and in a statement given to CNN affiliate WLWT, spokeswoman Laura Keener said the diocese would investigate the incident and take appropriate action.
"We condemn the actions of the Covington Catholic High School students towards Nathan Phillips specifically, and Native Americans in general, Jan. 18, after the March for Life, in Washington, D.C. We extend our deepest apologies to Mr. Phillips. This behavior is opposed to the Church's teachings on the dignity and respect of the human person.
"The matter is being investigated and we will take appropriate action, up to and including expulsion. We know this incident also has tainted the entire witness of the March for Life and express our most sincere apologies to all those who attended the March and all those who support the pro-life movement."
CNN has reached out to the school and diocese for comment.
Taitano, who is from Guam, said she was raised to treat her elders with respect so it hurt to see them treat Phillips so badly.
Phillips also appeared upset in a video Taitano posted after the confrontation. He wiped away tears as he talked about the chants of "build that wall."

"I wish I could see that energy of the young mass of young men to, you know, put that energy into, you know, making this country really, really great by helping those who are hungry, you know," Philips said.
CNN's Sara Sidner, Amanda Watts and Deanna Hackney contributed to this report.
View Quote
View Quote
Oh for fuck's sake it's CNN.com of course it's bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:55:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Some kids really need tho have their ass beat.
View Quote
He attends a private Catholic school in Kentucky and this was during a school trip. They're already talking about expelling him because it reflects so poorly on their school.

Wish people here could be a hair more objective instead of seeing the MAGA and instantly siding with the dipshit regardless of evidence.

Every other thread here is people bitching about cocky, entitled, smug millennials yet here you have a shining example of this very thing yet people instantly defend him because of his hat.

If he wasn't wearing the hat the thread would be filled with people talking about "knocking that smug condescending face into the next century."
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Wake me up when MAGA folks start beating people with bike locks and are throwing bottles of piss.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Standing there doing nothing, not speaking indicates guilt for..... feels.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#30]
If he wanted the ability to just wander around where he wanted, beating his drum, he should have called ahead for a reservation.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

He attends a private Catholic school in Kentucky and this was during a school trip. They're already talking about expelling him because it reflects so poorly on their school.

Wish people here could be a hair more objective instead of seeing the MAGA and instantly siding with the dipshit regardless of evidence.

Every other thread here is people bitching about cocky, entitled, smug millennials yet here you have a shining example of this very thing yet people instantly defend him because of his hat.

If he wasn't wearing the hat the thread would be filled with people talking about "knocking that smug condescending face into the next century."
View Quote
@Regulatori
You've been suckered, watch the video:
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:01:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No one would ever think to wear a MAGA hat and stir some shit up to make us look bad, would they.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:05:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently I had my facts wrong
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm an ignorant deplorable, so if one of you could be so kind as to point out a specific action in the available videos that make "us" "look" "bad", i'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:06:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Recreational outrage.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Kid looks like Joey Logano.  Would have been a good punch just for that.
View Quote
Damn you right! I kept thinking that kids duchy smirk looks familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

@Regulatori
You've been suckered, watch the video:
View Quote
Nice find.  Looks like he picked the kid randomly.  Fake news indeed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Buncha fake news dipshits in this thread. You guys gotta realize by now anything, anything at all to do with Trump from the media is 100% bullshit until proven otherwise.

First post is a CNN link for fuck's sake
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Saw a video of it earlier. The kid blocking the old man was a smug little shit desperately in need of having his ass beaten, and those around him weren’t any better. He had a very, very punchable face.

I sincerely hope they feel the sting of some nasty consequences
View Quote
You jumped on the outrage mob before learning anything.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:26:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
We got another one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:27:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This happened in my state, The school pulled down their FB page. Shits gone down over this, the Archdiocese has apparently started an investigation as well.
View Quote
I hope the parents are lining up lawyers to sue the school if they try to expel the kids.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:28:05 PM EDT
[#43]
The teens weren’t trying to intimidate the guy or anything. I didn’t hear any racial slurs or name calling.  They didnt surround and block him in. He was already in the middle of them walking around while  beating  his drum and chanting. They were going along with the beat, although maybe not taking it serious by sitting INDIaN style in silence. They dont know what the hell he was saying.

When I read CNNs story and saw the photo I thought to myself.... what little dip shits.
But after watching the video it’s not the picture that CNN painted.

When you run into the middle of a bunch of high school kids, anywhere in America, acting like Rafiki from the lion king what do you expect them to do? He was moving around freely.... one person didn’t move, he could have easily walked another way.

That guy was there as BAIT and 90% of ar15.com fell for CNNs bullshit even when it didn’t generate the response they wanted.... Sheep lead to slaughter. It’s hopeless
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:29:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
CNN way overstated what happened there. Color me shocked.

That being said: The students were disrespectful and I hope some kind nun will beat the shit out their knuckles with a ruler when they get back to school.
View Quote
I think the Church needs to back away from stupidity
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#46]
As for the MAGA aspect.

I was in DC in December. I saw a number of school groups with kids wearing MAGA stuff. Seemed to be a more like when in a Rome type thing...
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:42:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The teens weren’t trying to intimidate the guy or anything. They didnt surround and block him in. He was already in the middle of them walking around while  beating  his drum and chanting. They were going along with the beat, although maybe not taking it serious.  They didn’t appear to be threatening towards the guy......

When I read CNNs story and saw the photo I thought to myself.... what little dip shits.
But after watching the video it’s not the picture that CNN painted.
View Quote
Although it’s portrayed as him being surrounded by a mob, i suspect Nathan Phillips, self proclaimed activist, while beating the drum and chanting the theme from the indigenous rights movement group he belongs to, decrying colonialism, he marched  into their midst, and was immediately intimidated by ‘an aggressive display of physicality.’...according to his attorney. Phillips told NBC News that some of the young people surrounding him chanted support for President Trump's proposal to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Either show me the confrontation or show me the full incident.  Those are merely short clips from insta.

That was not a confrontation.  That was an old man with a drum and a teenager with a red hat.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#49]
So, forgive me....
What did this kid do that was wrong or illegal? The left told me last year that the mind of young adults isn’t fully formed and that’s why 18-20 year olds can’t even trusted with firearms.

If that’s so, is it any wonder why this young guy may have a smug look on his face while a Native American bangs a drum in his face?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Also, I’m told that Muslim terrorists like the 9/11 hijackers arent representative of the religion.

So even IF these kids are all sons and daughters of die-hard Trump supporters and campaign operatives, why does that make US as Republicans/Conservatives/Trump supporters bad people, as the TMZ headline and other news media are portraying?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top