Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 1/14/2021 2:15:43 PM EDT
Saw this in this thread: Worse Than the Clinton and Carter Years

National Guard at Capitol Authorized to Use Lethal Force in Aftermath of Mob

The dramatic escalation in authorities granted to the 20,000 Guard troops stationed in D.C. is only the latest response to last week's massive security failure.

Weapons are distributed to members of the National Guard outside the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, in Washington.(STEFANI REYNOLDS/GETTY IMAGES)

"On January 12, 2021, National Guardsmen were given authorization to be armed in support of the U.S. Capitol Police to protect the U.S. Capitol and individual members of Congress and their staff," according to a statement from the D.C. National Guard, which is commanding Guard forces in the city, including units deployed from six other states, to provide security for President-elect Joe Biden's inauguration next week.
A defense official confirmed the authorization includes permission for Guard troops to use lethal force.

The request came from federal authorities and was approved by Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy  who oversees D.C. Guard deployments since the District is not a state  indicating it was not a request from the local government.

The Guard forces there to date have performed an unarmed support role, such as directing traffic and logistical support to free up more civilian law enforcement officers to help protect the Capitol and other sensitive sites in D.C. That will change with the new authorization.

"Guardsmen are trained in the use of lethal and less-than-lethal force, de-escalation techniques, as well as the use of protective equipment. This is standard for civil disturbance response missions," according to the statement. "The National Guard is proud to support the Secret Service, U.S. Capitol Police and Park Police who are leading the security efforts during the events for the 59th Presidential Inauguration."

The sudden shift in authorities serves as the latest example of the security response to last week's deadly siege on the Capitol. A mob of President Donald Trump's supporters stormed the building and delayed Congress' certification of Biden's electoral victory shortly after the president concluded a rally roughly a mile away on the National Mall.
The swiftness of the response to a historic security blunder was also evident in widely shared pictures on Wednesday of National Guard forces sleeping in makeshift groups on the floor of the Capitol Visitor's Center and other hallways in the building.

The D.C. Guard says the forces were just resting, and that the Capitol was not where they would be lodging. Nonetheless, the National Guard headquarters at the Pentagon also had to announce late Wednesday that it could not receive "comfort items" for the troops amid an outpouring of support from "many well-meaning and thoughtful citizens."

"While we appreciate the many offers and people who care about our soldiers and airmen, we are not logistically able to accept donations of any kind," it said. "Thank you for caring about your citizen-soldiers and airmen."

National Guard troops have been a part of every Inauguration since George Washington's, according to its Pentagon headquarters.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Neither of those weapons has a mag inserted. I wonder if they have bayonets.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh yea, because mowing down a crowd is definitely going to go in their favor.  I almost hope they do it.  It'd be their funeral.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting how they were told no live ammo or magazines at the BLM protests all summer long.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:17:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Cause that would surely calm everything down
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cause that would surely calm everything down
View Quote
Yeah no shit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#6]
clown world
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:20:26 PM EDT
[#8]
A government that feels it needs to have a division of infantry parked on top of it is not one that's healthy.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Interesting how they were told no live ammo or magazines at the BLM protests all summer long.
View Quote

Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#10]

This is on the money. Something tells me this isn't going to go the way they think. I think our little commie friends are in for a surprise on inauguration day.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Ohio- Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#12]
lol, ok.

Do you feel your actions are that controversial you need this?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Funny how when senators and congress fear for their life leathal force is authorized, but not for those in all the riot zones. they need to be left defend themselves like they do everyone else.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#14]
National Guard with live ammo?  Holee phuk.  Sorry, they aren't trained for this shit if some dickweed antifa pops a cap and a soldier returns fire.  It's almost like someone wants to have an event ??
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Bet they didn’t even give them ammo.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Cmon Againstfacts and Bowel Loose Moment, come out and play.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#17]
That went well at Kent State.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Funny how when senators and congress fear for their life leathal force is authorized, but not for those in all the riot zones. they need to be left defend themselves like they do everyone else.
View Quote

Politicians should live in fear of the electorate. That way they don't do stupid shit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a question.

What exactly are they planning on doing that they feel a need to have 20k armed troops at hand?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Interesting.
View Quote

Yep. My bro in law was called out for the riots in STL. No ammo.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:26:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn got me wonderin what kind of dental plan them boys get?

(Sorry, couldn’t help it )
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#22]
The optics of watching them massacre Q tarded unarmed Americans on prime time news could be the catalyst.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:27:08 PM EDT
[#23]
The government will have ZERO issues with ordering the NG or police to fire into a peaceful protest of conservatives.

ZERO.

And the media will applaud them for it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:27:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Gaslighting.

Nobody was going to show up for the inauguration anyway. Bad optics. This will fix that.

the Dems are really good with the gaslighting.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
National Guard with live ammo?  Holee phuk.  Sorry, they aren't trained for this shit if some dickweed antifa pops a cap and a soldier returns fire.  It's almost like someone wants to have an event ??
View Quote

Some Guard guy already got a CONUS kill last year.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Oh yea, because mowing down a crowd is definitely going to go in their favor.  I almost hope they do it.  It'd be their funeral.
View Quote

Some good thinking here....
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:28:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The government will have ZERO issues with ordering the NG or police to fire into a peaceful protest of conservatives.

ZERO.

View Quote

Governments have NEVER had a problem shooting up their citizens and subjects when the proles get uppity. The US government is no different and never has been going back to Washington personally leading an army to put down tax protesters.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a question.

What exactly are they planning on doing that they feel a need to have 20k armed troops at hand?
View Quote
I have the same question.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:29:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#31]
You need to take the National Guard serious! They AINT PLAYING.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#32]
The military is just doubling down on winning the hearts and minds. Works every time it's been tried.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#33]
That will teach the civilians to respect their rulers!

For the record, I do not expect nor do I desire ANY violence by ANY group during the changing of administration. There are NON-violent ways to assert our basic Human Rights.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a question.

View Quote

Seize the food supply..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have a question.

View Quote

I think there's only 2 possible ways to look at this.  Either they want these troops in DC to protect it when they swear in the fraud incase people on the right try to raze the place, which we won't, or they want the troops in DC for when Trump flips the script and takes office again and the leftist goons lose their minds and rampage.

Nothing else makes sense at this point.

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Winter Olympics in Salt Lake I had ammo, had ammo after Katrina as well.   States take different approaches with their guard while under state control.  Under federal control it's a lot different, the feds are less adverse.   Doesn't mean they wouldn't crucify someone for pulling triggers though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Governments have NEVER had a problem shooting up their citizens and subjects when the proles get uppity. The US government is no different and never has been going back to Washington personally leading an army to put down tax protesters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ZERO.

While true, it’s a serious gamble. It often ends poorly for the government historically. Number one thing is the images can’t get out, they don’t have the stranglehold on information to do that yet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You need to take the National Guard serious! They AINT PLAYING.

https://i.imgur.com/1HtYjdk.jpg

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Its intimidation.

I doubt they really have that order, and I doubt they would really fire unless 20,000 armed citizens showed up and started firing.   If they start mowing down an unarmed crowd, for throwing a rock, I actually believe that would be "the shot heard around the country."  There would be no way to justify it, even as completely off their rocker as the left has become.

The pizza eating picture looks chopped.  These elite fighters do not look like the type that would simple follow orders, both because 1) most of them don't want to be there, and 2) they are not combat ready nor of the mindset that they are going to be the start of the civil war to protect their masters.   I would be really really really surprised they wouldn't just refuse to shoot unless they were in serious danger, and even then I guess I would question their resolve.  That's nothing against the guard, but they are really a light domestic rescue, supply and support team aren't they?  They don't appear equipped nor trained for war, or am I totally off here?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#42]
I would be surprised if they were all issued rifles, magazines, AND AMMO.   Perhaps a few supervisory officers might have ammo, but I'll bet that the vast majority of troops will have rifles without magazines or ammo...or they may have empty magazines in their rifles.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I have a question.

View Quote
So someone can get nervous, accidentally fire a shot and set this motherfucker off. See Paris, 10 August 1792 for just one example in history of an accident setting of a chain of events no one saw coming.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

So. Bringing firecrackers is out?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I’m afraid we will see that the army is really good at following orders.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A government that feels it needs to have a division of infantry parked on top of it is not one that's healthy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#47]
National Guard troops have been a part of every Inauguration since George Washington's, according to its Pentagon headquarters.
View Quote

Sigh.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Winter Olympics in Salt Lake I had ammo, had ammo after Katrina as well.   States take different approaches with their guard while under state control.  Under federal control it's a lot different, the feds are less adverse.   Doesn't mean they wouldn't crucify someone for pulling triggers though.
View Quote
I assumed (in ignorance admittedly) the NG just had monthly meetings and really did not do much armed training? I honestly do not know?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So. Bringing firecrackers is out?
View Quote

Ask ANTIFA how that worked out for Rittenhouse.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Except, I'm willing to bet most of the protesters that were there on 1/6 are better trained than the NG kids sitting there right now.

That's probably a showdown that is best not to happen.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top