Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/23/2020 7:13:24 AM EST
Sorry if dupe, didn't find anything via Google search.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20201217/nra-takes-carry-case-to-scotus

THURSDAY, DECEMBER 17, 2020

FAIRFAX, Va. - The National Rifle Association's Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) has partnered with the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association (NYSRPA) today to ask the Supreme Court to hear a challenge to New York's restrictive process for issuing concealed carry licenses.

"As long as New York continues denying law-abiding gun owners their Second Amendment rights, the NRA will continue fighting to protect and expand those rights," said Jason Ouimet, executive director of NRA-ILA.

The case, NYSRPA v. Corlett, challenges New York's requirement for applicants to demonstrate "proper cause" to carry a firearm. While New York routinely employs this arbitrary standard to deny carry permits, the NRA argues that this right should be available to "all 'the people'" instead of a "subset of the people that can distinguish themselves from their fellow Americans" by showing proper cause.
View Quote

Any additional info on this?

Timeline?

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:16:21 AM EST
They finally found a suit worthy of putting on?
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:23:48 AM EST
They had better not muck this one up!
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:31:38 AM EST
Glad to see they are attempting to fight for folks 2a rights again.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:35:21 AM EST
It is good news.

Its also the case that could kick things off. Given the 5.5 to 3.5 make up of the SCOTUS, there is a pretty good chance of a good outcome both to accept the case and to prevail.

If Harris-Biden make good on their threat to pack the court, it would be done to prevent us from winning on this case, its just too important in the scheme of gun control. Losing a case is one thing, and would be bad enough, but to change the SCOTUS on a case like this right after the election of 2020 would not end well.

Add to the mix that gun control was not an issue that they ran on as a priority, and after all the focus being on the other goodies the left promised such as climate change, social justice and whatever, abandoning those to focus on gun control early on would piss off a lot on the left too.

Having all this occur right in the middle of covid, which should be his first focus, makes it even more obvious that we have a billionaire with an agenda who is in charge to advance his agenda at any cost.

That being said, we need to push ahead like things are normal until it is even more obvious that they are not.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:43:25 AM EST
Is WLP showing his true colors and supporting NY state so that NRA can keep begging members to pay for suit alterations?
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:47:53 AM EST
NRA riding the coattails of the NYSPRA case?
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 7:58:56 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cwm1150:
Glad to see they are attempting to fight for folks 2a rights again.
View Quote

I agree, I just hope it isn't too little too late
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:09:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By josepha1:
View Quote

They've been doing this for the last couple of years. They essentially just add themselves to existing cases or just file a new one following the first.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:17:24 AM EST
The only suits that the NRA cares about are Wayne's.

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:19:31 AM EST
View Quote

That's probably the case.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:21:17 AM EST
New York will do something to make the case moot.  They don’t want this going to a decision.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:21:50 AM EST
And the fact they it’s cost almost $200 and took me 15 months to even be allowed to touch a pistol in NY........

How the fuck is that not denying a right.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:23:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By AKCory762:
And the fact they it’s cost almost $200 and took me 15 months to even be allowed to touch a pistol in NY........

View Quote

Their response will be "What? You got it eventually, didn't you?"

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:23:55 AM EST
View Quote

The president of the NYSRPA is on the NRA BOD.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:30:33 AM EST
Originally Posted By Bigshot64:
New York will do something to make the case moot.  They don't want this going to a decision.
View Quote
The Sullivan act is buried in NY like a hungry tick.  The elites love the notion that they can decide who has privileges and who doesn't on a whim.

If the proper cause thing goes away they'll just make a ridiculous requirement someplace else.   Letting the average upstanding citizen carry a gun is not an acceptable outcome in NY.  
They will find a way to make it difficult.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:32:21 AM EST
View Quote

NYSRPA is the state affiliate of the NRA.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:32:36 AM EST
Take it from someone that spent 6 months in up state NY
Nothing will happen and they will make it even harder in the future as punishment for even brining it up.

I took my stuff and GTFO and do not regret it.

There has been a mass exodus from NY so anyone that stays just has to accept the fact and deal with it.

Don't tell me you can't leave either i was just up there and their is still no checkpoint or wire on the NY border to other states.
There is just something there you value more then freedom that's all.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:33:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By xd341:
The Sullivan act is buried in NY like a hungry tick.  The elites love the notion that they can decide who has privileges and who doesn't on a whim.
If the proper cause thing goes away they'll just make a ridiculous requirement someplace else.   Letting the average upstanding citizen carry a gun is not an acceptable outcome in NY. They will find a way to make it difficult.
View Quote

Some counties already deny someone if they've gotten multiple traffic tickets.

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:37:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/23/2020 8:37:52 AM EST by Azygos]
New York will do something to make the case moot.  They don’t want this going to a decision.
View Quote

Not sure why they’d be worried. Given the Court’s treatment of Peruta and NYSRPA, plus the election cases, NY should be pretty confident this will be denied cert.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:38:08 AM EST
View Quote

The entire state would have to become shall issue to moot the case, since NYSRPA is a party to the proceedings and is claiming their members have been harmed.

And given the Justices that cried foul over NYSRPA v NYC being mooted only after cert was granted, I bet they will not tolerate a repetition.  

NYSRPA has Paul Clement running the case, the same lawyer that represented the United States in Heller (as Solicitor General), the NRA in McDonald v Chicago (Yes, it was Gura's case), and NYSRPA against NYC. He's the guy you hire if you want cert granted and intend to win the case no matter the cost.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:39:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/23/2020 8:40:29 AM EST by Kharn]
Originally Posted By Azygos:

Not sure why they’d be worried. Given the Court’s treatment of Peruta and NYSRPA, plus the election cases, NY should be pretty confident this will be denied cert.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Azygos:

Except an old biddy has been replaced with an originalist, for a major power shift. I think the election cases are Roberts' attempt to not have the court packed, either the upcoming Presidential term, or in the future.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:42:28 AM EST
Originally Posted By Extorris:

View All Quotes
If the proper cause thing goes away they'll just make a ridiculous requirement someplace else.   Letting the average upstanding citizen carry a gun is not an acceptable outcome in NY. They will find a way to make it difficult.

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:45:22 AM EST
NRA files a law suit.  Published law suit on their website.  

Hey, look at us.  We’re doing something!  Now, give us your money.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:46:30 AM EST

I just don't see the stars aligning on any of these.

I don't think SCOTUS will take it since they really don't take gun cases.

If it looks like they will, NY will quickly change the law so its moot.

If they don't and SCOTUS takes the case, it'll be decided so narrowly it won't make a difference. See heller for example, where everyone likes to insist it's so groundbreaking - cool. What'd it change?

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:46:53 AM EST
"Wayne's suits have no standing as they are empty"  - Supreme Court

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:47:43 AM EST
nra

" sorry your honor.. we really dont want to be here.. but we have to do this occasionally to get people to keep sending us money. ( we really would rather not be here at all )
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:48:58 AM EST
Originally Posted By Kharn:

Except an old biddy has been replaced with an originalist, for a major power shift. I think the election cases are Roberts' attempt to not have the court packed, either the upcoming Presidential term, or in the future.

Kharn
View Quote

I think you give Roberts too much credit
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:50:34 AM EST
Originally Posted By Kharn:

Kharn
View Quote

Dems will freak out over ANY perceived loss of power or control, and a major 2A win would be just that.

So what's to keep them from taking gun cases also to mitigate the likelihood of court packing?

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:53:39 AM EST

View Quote
Some counties deny people because they can.  They don't even cite a reason they just say you don't need that. Its all based on how the judge feels that day, or who you know, too many tickets is just an excuse, the victim of that bullshit should feel honored that the state thought enough of you to come up with a reason.

My permit app under the justification section...."all legal purposes".  Thats it, no paragraphs, 3 words.

I lived in a county that was very pro carry. I also knew people, who I used for references.  Its all bullshit and shouldn't be like that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:53:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/23/2020 9:05:29 AM EST by futurerancher]
I wish people on here weren't so sense and sheep like. The NRA under Wayne's leadership is in complete disarray. However the NRA-ILA is a different entity with different leadership and has continued to do great things even with  Wayne's shadow hanging over them. THE best defense and safest place for donations to help fund gun rights is the NRA-ILA. Wayne can't touch a dime of what is donated there.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:57:15 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:02:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/23/2020 9:02:38 AM EST by xviperx420]
When I had one years ago, the dude at the sheriffs dept who gave me the paperwork straight up said to write "For all lawful puposes". Guy gave no fucks and wanted people to carry.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:02:23 AM EST
Nothing surprises me anymore, so i would not be surprised if NY gun laws take it up the pooper just as everyone I know is planning to evacuate the state asap.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:04:33 AM EST
i dont see any favorable ruling by the SCOTuS based on their track record
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:21:32 AM EST
View Quote

Well they will have to get pretty creative...rendering this one moot would mean allowing SHALL issue in NY and NYC.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:53:50 AM EST
FNRA
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:58:09 AM EST
Probably the only reason they joined was to try and get back at NY's AG
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:46:05 AM EST
View Quote

Didn't they already get their peepee slapped pretty hard for that by Gorsuch?
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:48:05 AM EST

View Quote

"A right delayed is a right good enough so stop complaining." - NY government probably
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:48:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By AK-12:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AK-12:
New York will do something to make the case moot.  They don't want this going to a decision.

Who did he throw into the stockade?
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 10:48:56 AM EST
Doesn’t matter.

States will make more and more laws and ignore SCOTUS.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:01:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By Mech2007:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mech2007:

I hear that from time to time.

My response is I actually had it already referring to the 2nd amendment.

It's an unconstitutional INFRINGMENT if as a law abiding citizen with no

Malice

Michief

Or criminal intent

Engaged in no

Malicious

Mischievous

or criminal activity.

One must seek permission or approval from the state.
Not to mention the money it cost.

NY is wrong
Wrong
Wrong...

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:07:43 AM EST
They require a permit to even own a handgun. Shall not be infringed.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:10:15 AM EST
Originally Posted By staringback05:
They finally found a suit worthy of putting on?
View Quote

After the Black Robes have more than proven themselves an arm of the Swamp, it is now safe to appear to be pro 2A. Same way RINOs get mouthy and brave when they are in minority positions. It is pandering to their duped money stream.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:24:11 AM EST
Originally Posted By Flysc:

After the Black Robes have more than proven themselves an arm of the Swamp, it is now safe to appear to be pro 2A. Same way RINOs get mouthy and brave when they are in minority positions. It is pandering to their duped money stream.
View Quote
This case would appear poised to prove that theory.  Its pretty cut and dry, if they don't grant cert and decide favoribly..well we will know where they stand.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:28:08 AM EST
We're banking on the NRA and the SCOTUS?

This is rock bottom.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:32:36 AM EST
NYSRPA has the right idea, but limited resources.

They need Wayne's suit money to do this.

Any way you read that second line is probably correct.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:32:47 AM EST
Huh.  Did Wayne finish suit shopping finally?
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:36:29 AM EST
Originally Posted By AXE0FWAR:
We're banking on the NRA and the SCOTUS?

This is rock bottom.
View Quote
Thats the process.  Its NYS..you think getting a favorable legislative action has a better chance?

You think cumhole will just agree to not enforce the Sullivan act?

NRA didn't start this suit, they are signing on for PR purposes.

Whats the alternative? March on the empty governors mansion?  Lay seige to Albany...I'm not sure they'd notice.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:41:07 AM EST
Thats the process.  Its NYS..you think getting a favorable legislative action has a better chance?

You think cumhole will just agree to not enforce the Sullivan act?

NRA didn't start this suit, they are signing on for PR purposes.

Whats the alternative? March on the empty governors mansion?  Lay seige to Albany...I'm not sure they'd notice.
View Quote

NY is a lost cause.

Even if the traitors in the NRA and SCOTUS ruled in favor, NY would ignore it and carry on like every other day or come up with some convoluted side step that will never be challenged and become the status quo.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top