Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2020 12:58:46 AM EDT
I don't post these very often anymore because over the last couple years there has been a flow of coming and going in my collection. And since none of it has been too terribly noteworthy, I haven't bothered.

But this is a little different. In recent years, Schecter has seemed to step out of the "metal" rut they've been in for quite awhile. Don't get me wrong, I like the metal stuff too, but they started by getting back to their roots by making more regular Strats and Superstrats.

When they first released the E-1, I didn't pay much attention, because I already had a Gibson Explorer at the time. Well, after Gibson's lawsuits and the generall asshattery that came from their new CEO, it put such a bad taste in my mouth that I honestly and truly wanted to have a bonfire with my Gibsons every time I looked at them. I had the aforementioned Explorer and a couple Gibson Les Paul Standards, and in 2019, I sold them all. I only have my Epiphone Les Paul Custom left because it does have alot of sentimental value for me (another story).

So, a couple weeks ago I was practice amp shopping for my Niece. She's been playing woodwinds for a few years now and has been interested in guitar, so I'm  setting her up with one of my guitars, an amp, and the usual guitarist paraphernalia. So anyway, one of my local shops had this E-1 Custom hanging on the wall and I was drawn to it. So I tried it out, fell in love with the thing, and put it on layaway. So last Monday I took a guitar, and some pedals in that I don't use in on trade, and brought it home.

The neck is basically smack in between the Gibson '59 and '60 profiles, so it feels good in the hand, 12" - 16" compound radius fretboard, 24 3/4" scale, mahogany body & neck, quilted maple top, ebony fretboard, locking tuners, Tusq XL nut, Tonepros bridge and tailpiece, Schecter USA Sunset Strip bridge, and Pasadena neck pickups, push/pull split on the tone knob. Basically spec'd out exactly the way I would want it. The only thing I may change would be to add a push/pull volume pot so I can split the pups individually and if I end up not liking the pups, I may put a Duncan Custom and Jazz with an A4 swap in it. But so far, I'm really liking the pickups. But, IMHO, Schecter pickups are really under the radar, and are excellent. And overall, Schecter is blowing Gibson out of the water with these guitars.

So without further ado, pics!

And yes, I took the pickguard off. That wood is too friggin beautiful to have covered up.

Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:17:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Did I say I hate you??. I have to add an E-1 or Ibanez destroyer to my wall.  We all know the real reason you got an E-1...

Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:37:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did I say I hate you??. I have to add an E-1 or Ibanez destroyer to my wall.  We all know the real reason you got an E-1...

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VEsj9ybs1UQ/XDDs3fLu5rI/AAAAAAAHFjI/-gX2sHWfG-otiLzalu_JJ3BWNqk42pW3gCLcBGAs/s1600/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
Thanks.

And I just have a thing for Explorer shaped guitars, especially when it's spec'd this well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:54:01 AM EDT
[#3]
That’s actually pretty nice looking.  I wish Gibson would put bindings and better inlays on a reasonably priced Explorer.  I hate dot inlays, would rather have a blank fretboard instead.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Sweet!  Beautiful grain and color
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks.

And I just have a thing for Explorer shaped guitars, especially when it's spec'd this well.
View Quote
No one offers better neck/fretwork for under $2k.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, all!

Quoted:
No one offers better neck/fretwork for under $2k.
View Quote
G&L imports, and Ibanez Premium are also imports with extremely good fretwork. And believe it or not, they're both made in Indonesia.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks, all!

G&L imports, and Ibanez Premium are also imports with extremely good fretwork. And believe it or not, they're both made in Indonesia.
View Quote
Is your new one S. Korean or Indonesian?  Thought the Schecter neck through and set neck models were all still coming out of SK.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 10:11:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Very nice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Very nice.
Thanks

Quoted:
Is your new one S. Korean or Indonesian?  Thought the Schecter neck through and set neck models were all still coming out of SK.
Yeah, it's South Korean. I think all import Schecters are all made there.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:14:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I've never cared for explorer style guitars, but that is just incredible. I would have snapped that up if I'd seen it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice.
Thanks

Quoted:
Only the nicer ones. The Schecter 2019 banshee extreme I almost bought was Indonesian but even it had very good build quality at $499. Nicer fretwork than any Ibanez south of a JEM.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:04:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Only the nicer ones. The Schecter 2019 banshee extreme I almost bought was Indonesian but even it had very good build quality at $499. Nicer fretwork than any Ibanez south of a JEM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Very nice.
Thanks

Quoted:
Ah, ok. I wasn't aware of any Indonesian Schecters, I've only handled Korean built ones.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:25:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice,  I started a thread 3 years ago about that guitar
still have the pic I posted
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 4:38:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nice,  I started a thread 3 years ago about that guitar
still have the pic I posted
https://i.imgur.com/iMQ8aGJ.jpg
View Quote
Ok, cool.

Like I said, they weren't on my radar back then because I already had a Gibson Explorer. But things change.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Man, that's a gorgeous explorer style. I like it better without the pickguard, too. That finish is beautiful.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top