Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2022 12:02:33 PM EDT
Just looking to get some feedback on my upper body routine.

Bench press - 8 reps
Triceps pull downs - 8 reps
Seated cable curls - 8 reps
Standing dumbell curls - 8 reps
Standing hammer curls - 8 reps
Triceps extensions- 8 reps
Military press - 8 reps
Shrugs - 8 reps
Preacher curls - 8 reps
Reverse grip preacher curls - 8 reps
Bent over rows - 8 reps

I repeat this routine 3 times. Anything I should be adding or changing?
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you goals and what frequency do you work out?  This will help with giving you more specific advice.

At first blush, I think you may be over-training biceps. They are a small muscle group and they get involved in almost every back movement. I typically do two biceps focused movements since I go real heavy on back work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you goals and what frequency do you work out?  This will help with giving you more specific advice.

At first blush, I think you may be over-training biceps. They are a small muscle group and they get involved in almost every back movement. I typically do two biceps focused movements since I go real heavy on back work.
View Quote
Ultimate goal is cutting fat and building muscle. I do this routine 2-3 times a week, with the other days focusing on legs and cardio.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Pullups
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're a noob focus primarily on the big lifts until you get some strength. Isolation movements are accessory work that can maybe be done at the end of your workouts if you have time.

Starting strength and strong lifts have it figured out pretty well.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

100% agree with this.

You need to perform heavy, compound movements (engaging multiple muscle groups) with minimal isolation if the goal is to build maximum muscle and encourage fat loss.

Bench press - 8 reps (compound)
Triceps pull downs - 8 rep s (isolation)
Seated cable curls - 8 reps (isolation)
Standing dumbell curls - 8 reps (isolation)
Standing hammer curls - 8 reps (isolation)
Triceps extensions- 8 reps (isolation)
Military press - 8 reps (compound)
Shrugs - 8 reps (compound)
Preacher curls - 8 reps (isolation)
Reverse grip preacher curls - 8 reps (isolation)
Bent over rows - 8 reps (compound)

Summary:
4x Compound movements
7x Isolation movements

I would suggest that you slightly increase reps to 10 or 12 per set and eliminate half of your isolation exercises.

As an example:
Bench press - 12 reps (compound)
Military press - 12 reps (compound)
Shrugs - 12 reps (compound)
Bent over rows - 12 reps (compound)
Preacher curls - 12 reps (isolation)
Triceps pull downs - 12 rep s (isolation)
Triceps extensions- 12 reps (isolation)

3x sets of each

As the sets get easier over time, you should up the weight and back off to 10x reps and progress back up to 12x. It's called progressive overload and it's very effective.

View Quote

This is along the lines of what i was thinking.  You could even add more exercises and sets and spit up body parts.  

For example do chest/shoulders/tris one day and back/bis another and just keep rotating them.  You can get some more volume in that way.  I typicall split my workouts and do each body part 1x per week, but others prefer 2x or more per week.  Both will get results if done correctly
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

100% agree with this.

You need to perform heavy, compound movements (engaging multiple muscle groups) with minimal isolation if the goal is to build maximum muscle and encourage fat loss.

Summary:
4x Compound movements
7x Isolation movements

I would suggest that you slightly increase reps to 10 or 12 per set and eliminate half of your isolation exercises.

As an example:

3x sets of each for isolation and 5x for compound

As the sets get easier over time, you should up the weight and back off to 10x reps and progress back up to 12x. It's called progressive overload and it's very effective.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% agree with this.

Summary:
4x Compound movements
7x Isolation movements

As an example:

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% agree with this.

Summary:
4x Compound movements
7x Isolation movements

As an example:

Agree, on compounds I prefer heavy weight low rep.

Op if you’re new to lifting as someone else mentioned there are two great programs that follow a 5x5 workout of compound lifts. I’m a fan of Madcows version of 5x5.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just looking to get some feedback on my upper body routine.

I repeat this routine 3 times. Anything I should be adding or changing?
View Quote

It sounds like you’ve done the routine, and are doing the routine, I think it’s you that gives the feedback to us.

Really though, you’re putting in the work and are you seeing results? Is it what you want?

If not then follow other people’s advice, adapt and tailor it, but if it’s working then, as Ed Coan says, don’t try to “fix” it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It sounds like you've done the routine, and are doing the routine, I think it's you that gives the feedback to us.

Really though, you're putting in the work and are you seeing results? Is it what you want?

If not then follow other people's advice, adapt and tailor it, but if it's working then, as Ed Coan says, don't try to "fix" it.
View Quote
It's hard to tell as far as results go...I've only been doing this routing for about 3 weeks. I have noticed a good increase in strength in terms of the weight I am lifting, but its hard to tell if I'm getting any visual results yet.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#11]
You work your entire upper body 2-3 times a week?  What do you do for legs?  If you ain't growin' it's because you ain't squattin'.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You work your entire upper body 2-3 times a week?  What do you do for legs?  If you ain't growin' it's because you ain't squattin'.
View Quote
I typically do the upper body routine on Mon/Wed/Fri. On Tues/Thurs I do legs which is mostly the leg press attachment on my rack, squats, calf raises, and weighted lunges. Saturday I usually work on cardio, typically 15 mins on the elliptical, 15 mins on the stationary bike, and 15 mins hitting the heavy bag. Sunday I rest.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:06:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll echo a few other posters.

Compound lifts to start.  At 3 weeks in, you're too early for isolation IMO.

Build strength and train your CNS.  Lots of folks swear by 5x5 to start. Get your diet right.

The big 3:
Benchpress
Squats
Deadlifts

Add in bent over row and shoulder presses if you'd like.  If it were me, I'd start working on pull ups too.  

Squats and Deadlifts will tax you if you're doing them right.  I'm a big fan of both; deadlifts in particular generate results you can see.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I typically do the upper body routine on Mon/Wed/Fri. On Tues/Thurs I do legs which is mostly the leg press attachment on my rack, squats, calf raises, and weighted lunges. Saturday I usually work on cardio, typically 15 mins on the elliptical, 15 mins on the stationary bike, and 15 mins hitting the heavy bag. Sunday I rest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The leg press machine isn't giving you the same workout a barbell would.  JMHO, it's a decent start, but you need to build up your back and core...and that comes from barbell squats and deadlifts (among other exercises).
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#15]
That's a shit load of exercises.

80/20 rule man.

More focus on the big stuff, and sprinkle in the little stuff around it. I got tired just reading that list though.

I'm more of a Squat/Pull and Deadlift/Press kind of guy, maybe some dips or curls if I'm feeling saucy that day.

If I can't get my main work done inside of 30 minutes, I'm slacking, and then if I spend more than 10 minutes on accessory work, I'm just dicking around.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#16]
If those are the exercises you have available and like to do that's fine...

My problem with all of this is there is no plan for progressive overload or deload.  You need to have a plan that increases weight and or reps in some strategic way that works as well as accounting for the fact at some point you will need to deload in order to continue progressing without excessive fatique limiting progress.  If you're a newbie then linear progression works well.  For an intermediate or advanced lifter a more complex scheme is usually needed.  

I do prefer having compounds...squat, bench, and deadlift as the primary lifts in a routine.  Proven lifts, but also give you more for your time.  Throwing around isolation movements for 8 reps and jumping to the next movement for another 8 reps when your failure point is 12+ reps and doing this same weight and reps over and over every workout isn't going to get you far.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 5:31:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree with fewer exercises.
Also for most exercises I use a range vs a set number of reps.
For example for bench I set the range at 8-12.
When I can hit 12 every set I bump the weight but dont go higher than a weight you can do at least 8 reps.
I don't use that for DL though. I usually do something like 10,8,8,5,5,2,2 where 10 is a warmup and then I do work then try to push it for a couple 2 rep sets.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you're a noob focus primarily on the big lifts until you get some strength. Isolation movements are accessory work that can maybe be done at the end of your workouts if you have time.

Starting strength and strong lifts have it figured out pretty well.
View Quote

This.

The additional benefit is that muscle mass increases resting metabolism thus burning the fat you want to burn
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ultimate goal is cutting fat and building muscle. I do this routine 2-3 times a week, with the other days focusing on legs and cardio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As almost everyone has said, compound exercises using a good program.  Starting Strength should serve you well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I’ll mirror what almost everyone else has said, as a novice lifter, you need to focus on the big 3-5 compound lifts (deadlift, squat, bench press, OHP, and pull-ups) to build a strength base before adding accessory lifts. Focus specifically on progressive overload with a Novice Linear Progression like 5x5 or Starting Strength.

If you want to work hypertrophy (muscle size increase) do so after your NLP is complete.

I might try running Starting Strength, then adding in curls, tricep extensions, chest flies at the end of one day(deadlift day), and reverse hyper, calf-raises, and lunges at the end of another day(whatever day you do squats but no deadlifts). Add that in after a month or so and do like 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps of your 12-15RM, just enough to add some volume but not enough to decrease recovery.

Rest every other day (if you are doing your compound movements correctly you’ll need it) and 2 days off on the weekend, unless you just have to do something, then so active recovery like a light jog or technique-centric bag work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top