Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 5/28/2020 10:39:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun]
Okay,

so after 3 years of ownership I'm getting the BRDM-2 tagged and street legal this summer. I've been able to save up the money for the registration taxes and when I get back home I'll start on it. With the help of @m35ben a couple things to do before it hits the road-

Shifting-rough/doesn't want to go
Brakes-make sure they work (only had it at low speed)
Change trans oil EP90

Drive.

Later on :

Needle scrape/sand exterior-repaint in 383 green CARC substitute
clean up rust spots on interior

Now, I've never done paint. From my understanding:

Needle gun paint and rust off, wire brush exterior, blow off, Air compressor-HVLP sprayer (Harbor freight)-mix according to instructions, spray on primer, let cure (day), then apply 2-3 coats of paint.

Sound about right? Never done this before, so I'm learning stuff here.

Areas to paint:

Interior

How they look new

Original thread:

Original "My quest to buy a tank"

From my research so far:

List of all known BRDM2 vehicles in private hands in the USA

1-DFW area, Texas - polish chemical detector variant small turret RKHB running condition, missing many pieces on the inside. Owner is known and in contact

2.DFW area, Texas -Czech chemical detector, small turret, I am the owner. Running condition as it left the military in almost new shape

3.DFW area, Texas - Iraqi big turret recon variant. Running but in rough shape. Know the owner (my old one). Owner is known and in contact

4.DFW area, Texas - Bulgarian chemical detector variant, not running. Owner is known and in contact

5.Florala, Alabama-Iraqi big turret model, missing engine and transmission. Very rough shape. Needs total
Restoration. Demil cuts. Located in Alabama

6-7. Seattle, Washington owner purchased 2 vehicles over several years, kept one, sold the other.

8. Minnesota- big turret command variant BRDM2, excellent condition, running and driving. Owner is known and in contact.

9.Ohio-Iraqi ATGM missile carrier, restored, unknown status, sold in 2009 from a museum. Owner is not known

10. Military museum
Of Vermont- sagger ATGM carrier. Rough shape. Owner is known

11. Mass, unknown chemical variant-no other details, owner not known

12. ATGM carrier, blue ridge, GA tank town USA. Sold to a new owner in Virginia. Known and in contact. . Sold to an owner in California, known, in Georgia temporarily on its way to CA

In Cali now as of 4/8/24

13. Brdm-2 rkhb Louisiana. Bought from mortar investments. Complete. Minor issues, will be a good runner

I will continue to update this as I find out more.

Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#1]
mask up...
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FedDC:
mask up...
View Quote

Those are in abundant supply now
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:07:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I would strip/sand with a nylon cup brush on a grinder after getting the heavy stuff off. Then I would paint with real CARC from Sherwin Williams. I would spray the inside with Lizard Skin for temp and sound control and then Raptor or Monstaliner the inside with a color of your choice. Monstaliner will match any color including the military stuff. I used the Home Depot Husky 30 gallon air compressor and a cheap HLVP gun on amazon as the Harbor Freight one clogged too much. IN the HMMWV thread there are pics of how I did it. Same for the other guys except some used the Bear house paint which I do not recommend as it fades.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:19:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nmbmxer] [#4]
Ive painted several MB's in my driveway. I clean off rust, pull easy to fix dents / fix sheet metal, sand to 220 with a da, mask with aluminum foil and shoot it with Olympic porch paint in 383 green and then brown and black last. Motor pool paint jobs are easy. I'm also super color blind and can't tell the green and brown apart when spraying. Every other year or so I repaint them.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:25:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Tagged and following. Just got an off road trailer and looking to re do it. Same kind of metal I believe.

What’s the paint that matches shiny green gas cans?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I would definitely wear a good respirator while removing CARC paint and also while spraying CARC paint. When I was in the Army, we were allowed to do touch up painting with a brush only. If the vehicles/equipment had to be sprayed with CARC, a full PPE set had to be used. PPE required was respirator,  coveralls along with gloves.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
I would definitely wear a good respirator while removing CARC paint and also while spraying CARC paint. When I was in the Army, we were allowed to do touch up painting with a brush only. If the vehicles/equipment had to be sprayed with CARC, a full PPE set had to be used. PPE required was respirator,  coveralls along with gloves.
View Quote

It's not CARC paint to my knowledge. I don't know if russia used CARC paint on it to begin with even thought it was a CBRN vehicle and expected to get slimed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:

I would strip/sand with a nylon cup brush on a grinder after getting the heavy stuff off. Then I would paint with real CARC from Sherwin Williams. I would spray the inside with Lizard Skin for temp and sound control and then Raptor or Monstaliner the inside with a color of your choice. Monstaliner will match any color including the military stuff. I used the Home Depot Husky 30 gallon air compressor and a cheap HLVP gun on amazon as the Harbor Freight one clogged too much. IN the HMMWV thread there are pics of how I did it. Same for the other guys except some used the Bear house paint which I do not recommend as it fades.
View Quote

I can get real CARC paint?

The inside is probably gonna stay as is for the most part except for a couple of rusty spots, mostly in the floor boards and a rear compartment.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Sherwin-Williams sells CARC, its about $140/gal iirc. Look in the paint forum on steelsoliders.

I've had good luck with the porch paint, easy to spray with a latex gun and I only sand the carc appreciably where I need to weld. Like was posted above, a good portion of the MV's are painted with a brush in the motorpool. In general it's much more like painting a tractor than a traditional automobile. If it gets sun faded or you jack it up with a pressure washer, repaint it.  I can shoot a second 3 color camo job on a Saturday. I'm respraying the CUCV in a month or so once the pollen stops falling, same pattern just need to fill in some light spots.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 4:58:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Nmbmxer:
Sherwin-Williams sells CARC, its about $140/gal iirc. Look in the paint forum on steelsoliders.

I've had good luck with the porch paint, easy to spray with a latex gun and I only sand the carc appreciably where I need to weld. Like was posted above, a good portion of the MV's are painted with a brush in the motorpool. In general it's much more like painting a tractor than a traditional automobile. If it gets sun faded or you jack it up with a pressure washer, repaint it.  I can shoot a second 3 color camo job on a Saturday. I'm respraying the CUCV in a month or so once the pollen stops falling, same pattern just need to fill in some light spots.  
View Quote

Nice...140 a gallon

I'm learning as I go. So much to do!
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By jake-cutter:

View Quote

Listen to this man. This will be your best route.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Real CARC from Sherwin Williams varies based on your account and location. In the Houston area you have to order from the Professional Coatings division. Sometimes the local store can order it and have it shipped to the store for no additional cost. Its a two part paint with a third part being a little water to make it easier to spray. I paid under $200 for two gallons and the quarts of the second part.

As for the Lizard Skin it was very easy to spray with their kit and covered up a lot of the imperfections from multiple layers of paint and sanding. Provided a very smooth and level surface to top coat with your choice of paint or spray in bed liner. Again the Lizard Skin was for temp and sound which was a must here in Texas for the temp and well anything for sound helps.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By chrishag:

Listen to this man. This will be your best route.
View Quote

How does that hold up in high foot traffic areas? The circled areas above are where folks stick their boots.
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't comment on Russian vehicles. Every US combat vehicle is either painted white or a light green on the inside. Unless they are new, you will see the paint rubbed thin/off from where soldiers feet constantly rub.

As far as exterior pain goes. If you use a true CARC paint, make sure to wear proper PPE, CARC is very caustic and cancer causing. That is why we were only allowed to use a brush to touch up vehicles in the motor pool. Complete strip and paint jobs went to special shops with proper ventilation and air filtration.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#15]
The new sherwin williams stuff is a different animal, type 2 is even waterborne and cuts with distilled water.  It smells like green apple jolly ranchers and downright pleasant.  

Im sure its still not wonderful to breath in....So i suppose PPE is still warranted.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 6:52:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Was the armor demilled? I've heard of that with many European armored vehicles sold privately. It looks quite nice, could be a lot of fun off road. If I had the scratch, I'd get a Scorpion for desert use out here, just because.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By armoredman:
Was the armor demilled? I've heard of that with many European armored vehicles sold privately. It looks quite nice, could be a lot of fun off road. If I had the scratch, I'd get a Scorpion for desert use out here, just because.
View Quote

Never. Trying to figure out if we can mount a GPMG in the turret.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Why not, if you can scratch build  an adapter from an existing Soviet mount to fit a US made weapon, or would you rather get one of the semi auto Soviet era MG clones on the market today? Id think the most awesome thing would be a mount that puts a Barret L82 inside the turret.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By armoredman:
Why not, if you can scratch build  an adapter from an existing Soviet mount to fit a US made weapon, or would you rather get one of the semi auto Soviet era MG clones on the market today? Id think the most awesome thing would be a mount that puts a Barret L82 inside the turret.
View Quote

I wanted a semi PKM but I'm not sure the butt stock and all will fit in the turret. It's designed around a PKT which is stockless, just like the 240 vs 240B in tanks and AFVs.

A semi 240 is a lot more.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 1:57:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Forest:
Also, didn't you have another thread about the restoration - some issue with the engine?  Or am I thinking of someone else?
View Quote

Probably me.

I originally bought a very, very well used Iraqi vehicle. It had a burnt up clutch, bad head gasket, and numerous other issues. It did have a history. Used by saddam, captured in the gulf war.

I sold it in 2016 and put money down for a brand new one, the one above.

The new one has some issues relating to age. It has only done a few hundred miles since new and was issued to a Czech reserve unit until surplused in 2008.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 2:13:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#23]

Couldn't you just remove the stock from the PKM?  AFAIK the stock isn't needed.
View Quote

I wanna say there are buffers in the stock that it needs.

Also not sure if the receiver for the pkm and pkt are the same dimensionally
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 3:15:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Forest] [#24]
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Not that I can see.  I just see two tangs to attach to the butt stock.

Link to PKM manual, there is a photo in there with the stock removed.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/162/PKM-1465564.jpg

Sorry can't help you there.

BTW do the water jets work?
View Quote

Yes. Only one. It does have a hydro leak on the belly wheels.

Hmmmm
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Oh I didn't realize they still had the belly wheels in the BRDM2.  

Cool that at lest one of the jets works, still some aphib capability then?
View Quote

It’ll float like a fat girl stuck in an inner tube.

It’s exactly as it was when the Czechs sold it 12 years ago.

Only 2 More months until I can get to the registration.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#28]
@WGTactical should know all you need to know.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 11:07:11 PM EDT
[#30]

That good !?  Awesome!

My Jeep floats a rock, I'm envious.

You have radio in it (AM/FM and/or HAM)?
View Quote

It’s got the r-123m, good radios. Don’t know much about them other than they turn on and the dials go zooooo
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 8:04:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

It's got the r-123m, good radios. Don't know much about them other than they turn on and the dials go zooooo
View Quote
Might have to try some things

https://military.trcvr.ru/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/R-123M_User_Manual_English.pdf
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Might have to try some things

https://military.trcvr.ru/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/R-123M_User_Manual_English.pdf
View Quote

I need my ham license but this pesky military thing keeps getting in the way
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:21:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: squirrell18] [#33]
I want to buy a Soviet T72 tank, they are not that much but shipping is prob a bitch.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Striker:
tag..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
tag..

This is my only account

Originally Posted By squirrell18:
I want to buy a Soviet T72 tank, they are not that much but shipping is prob a bitch.

Me too, but I just got married and have one of those fancy european wives so gotta cut out some stuff
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By squirrell18:
View Quote
If you keep the tank in good running condition you will recover the shipping cost if you ever sell it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
If you keep the tank in good running condition you will recover the shipping cost if you ever sell it.
View Quote

Verily.

Link Posted: 8/3/2020 6:12:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Got the paperwork greenlight from the inspecting officer. Nothing has changed.

I've got the money ready for the sales tax on the vehicle. Spicy.

Update to keep from getting archived.
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#41]

great news.
your thread won't archive. I set it so it won't. I try and do it for all the build threads.
View Quote

My man
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 4:56:25 AM EDT
[#42]

great news.
your thread won't archive. I set it so it won't. I try and do it for all the build threads.
View Quote

Thanks Striker!

I contacted the DMV and set up an appointment today for the registration. The earliest they could see me was 11/19/20. I set an appointment for 11/23/20 since that was my day off. I still have to go there and show the bond I paid and hopefully it won't be too complicated.

What

I have a local guy who is going to come out and pressure wash everything. His price is half of what I was previously qouted. Inside and outside degreased and blasted with HOT water and he has his own water tank.

Link Posted: 8/20/2020 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Good news!

I obtained a pristine PKT parts kit from Bowman arms.

8 new tires (no cracking or dry rot) on the way from Alabama.

I'll never financially recover from this.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Good news!

View Quote

Seems on par with MV ownership.  Even moreso when its rare.  

The good news is, we are all very jealous.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Aguas:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Good news!

Or motorcycles
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Or motorcycles
View Quote

I miss my honda. It was fun tho..and actually did save me money. 65 MPG was nice
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
That is why I haven't done much with my 1962 Willys M170 Ambulance. Willys only made about 4,000 of them and some parts such as the tub, gas tank, and seats are unique to the M170. No other Willys or Jeep vehicle used the same parts as the M170.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#48]
That's Awesome OP!
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By BlackHills:
That's Awesome OP!
View Quote

I have to remember how to boresight.

It's been almost 10 years.

F.

And I need a bore sight kit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#50]
This is awesome, I love the BRDM-2.

Are you replacing the GAZ V8 with something else? Russia modernized most of theirs with a 4cyl TD. I bet a 4BT would be a nice swap.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top