Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:16:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Brooklyn Nine-Nine had an entire episode about raw milk.

Chocolate Milk | Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:30:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bikedamon:
Spent enough time on the family dairy farm when I was kid to know there’s no way i hell I’m drinking unpasteurized milk.
View Quote
Took a field trip to a dairy farm in grade school where we got to put our finger in the auto milker. Wish I grew up on a dairy farm ever since.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:45:22 AM EDT
[#3]
The UN and NATO have been contacted over this humanitarian crisis.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:05:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By eurotrash:

Homogeneous milk is for gays.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Raw milk is drank by hippies and communists

Do your dads drink it?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Raw milk threads always bring out the same posters that everyone knows are semi-closeted statists and/or self-appointed geniuses who literally cannot help themselves when it comes to an opportunity to talk shit on other people for their personal choices.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:20:04 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

That’s fucking retarded sir.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:21:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Saber7:

Damn.  They don't want us to self vax for the bird flu with raw milk...so they can push their next vaccine.
View Quote

Dang people with their healthy immune systems causing herd immunity...ruining the vax market and taking the yachts right out of the mouths of big pharma and big medical...
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By RC03:
It's literally poop milk .

View Quote
Mmmmm chocolate
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
No fucking way I'm drinking raw milk.

It's pasteurized for a reason it can kill you. Hell dairies have data that calf heath improved when fed waste milk that was pasteurized on farm in small batch pasteurized.

View Quote

Great, more for us. We’ve been feeding our children raw milk since weaned from human milk, oldest is nine now. It is superior to the stuff you buy in the grocery store.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:04:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AlexAdams43:

None of what you just posted is at all true.  You should feel bad and the world should mock you.
View All Quotes

It's pasteurized for a reason it can kill you. Hell dairies have data that calf heath improved when fed waste milk that was pasteurized on farm in small batch pasteurized.

None of what you just posted is at all true.  You should feel bad and the world should mock you.

Don't make fun of him.  There are many many people who like to be afraid of everything.  He just happens to be of that herd.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:51:49 AM EDT
[#11]
There were several reasons for banning raw milk - just like there were reasons to ban alcohol and to make weed illegal.  It is true it can be a disease vector.  But I think the main reason it was banned was big dairy.  It killed small dairy from selling directly to the public while at the same time made big dairy far more possible.  You can cut one side of the disease vector with hygiene.  A cleaner dairy will literally have less shit in the milk.  Testing can limit the other side of the disease vector.

In Texas, dairies can get licensed for direct raw milk sales.  I don't know, but I think slight indirect may also be possible now - dairies might be able to sell from satellite locations (a farmers market, or a kiosk in a store).  If I recall, their foreign matter % is about 100x more strict than commercial milk and they are tested considerably more.  While I don't know how many scientific tests have been ran on it, seams like once acclimated to it most people have less milk allergies with non-homogenized milk.  If you keep it cold, it also tends to last longer in the refrigerator than commercial milk.  That may be due to the much faster cow to market times - raw milk does not sit in the retail chain for a week before being sold.  Most of the Raw milk dairies also have commercial contracts - so they do not sit on inventory.  They bottle enough for daily sales and deliveries.

We used to be pretty active in the Texas raw milk community.  We were a dairy drop off location (so got close to 100 gallons at our house for the community once a week).  We consumed about 5 gallons every 2 weeks (the delivery schedule).  We had milk a month old a few times in the fridge that was still fine - not sure, but we may have even tried testing out to 6 weeks - definite quality change, but still drinkable (but we maintained temp VERY tightly).  I do know at that time, I had no problems drinking quantities of it - but a glass of pasteurized would make me want to puke afterwards.

Economically, the value of milk is in the fat content.  Skim has no wholesale value.  Skim is gold for big dairy - they can sell that shit for full price, then sell the cream for 2-3x the price of milk (both retail and commercially - as it is used elsewhere.  Skim at a dairy is at best hog food.  Our current raw dairy was selling cream at 4x milk price - but stopped after their separator gave up the ghost.  Raw has basically kept small dairies alive around me.  Milk is sold by the 100lb.  It generally has ranged between $12-20 per 100lbs ($1/gallon to $1.75).  They are currently getting $8/gallon for raw.  They can not even afford to feed the cows at $1/gallon.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:08:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyLoco] [#12]
There’s a risk to anything undercooked or raw. I probably wouldn’t give it to babies or small children because their bodies can’t handle the possible bacteria, but as a grown adult, I think it’s fine and tastes way better. I drink it with protein powder as a pre/post workout drink. It’s nutritious, basically a superfood. I don’t really consume much dairy otherwise. There is a thing called low temp pasteurization, common in Europe, where the milk isn’t heated high enough to destroy natural enzymes and nutrients, and it’s not homogenized, which affects how your body processes the milk fat. The brand mill-king sold at wholefoods is like that.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

You don't enjoy contracting Bovine Tuberculosis?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:19:30 AM EDT
[#14]
In before Aimless?

I’ve never had raw milk, and don’t drink much milk at all anymore.

My wife grew up on a dairy farm, and sounds like raw milk was the only milk she drank. I’d like to try it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 50-140:
A local dairy sells their raw milk in a supermarkets and smaller food store in my area.  I like it for making cheese.
View Quote

Same, I prefer local stuff. Otherwise my money heads to out of State Farm’s, mostly CA
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:24:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fdawg] [#16]
Why are adults drinking milk in the first place?  Massive surgery drink and carb loading?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By California_Kid:

I'm curious about that too, but it appears to be Serious Business(TM) for some people.
View Quote

Its fucking delicious.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:33:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By fdawg:
Why are adults drinking milk in the first place?  Massive surgery drink and carb loading?
View Quote

Should we be like normal Americans and instead eat weird slurry made to resemble real food that requires a PhD in chemistry to read and understand all ingredients?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:35:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By perfectsilence:

Do your dads drink it?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By perfectsilence:

Do your dads drink it?

I only have 1. He doesn’t drink milk but I drink hetero milk in my latte
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By hp6:
Why would anyone want to drink raw milk?  It has really high fat contact and tastes like buttermilk.  My relatives were Wisconsin dairy farmers. The milk went from the cows to the bulk tank to be chilled.  I remember going to the barn with a pitcher to collect the milk from the tank.  If you are not used to raw milk, it is very hard on your stomach.
View Quote

A friend of mine went to Iowa or South Dakota for a snow goose hunt and stayed at some dairy farmers house.  He drank raw milk the 1st night he got there and spent the next week in a hospital.  I'll just stick with my store bought Vit D milk, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

And the Amish. Amish are genuine hippies and commies.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:41:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Bat15:

Drink all the raw milk you want. I don’t care. Just agree that you will pay any medical bills resulting from drink raw milk. You cannot use group insurance or ask society to pay the bills.

Freedom be scary yo.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CryptoMan:

Freedom be scary yo

Drink all the raw milk you want. I don’t care. Just agree that you will pay any medical bills resulting from drink raw milk. You cannot use group insurance or ask society to pay the bills.

Freedom be scary yo.

For fucks sakes what about all the medical bills that pasteurized milk causes?  

Research shows that modern day GI inflammation issues are linked to how we treat our food including pasteurization.  Everything is a trade off with pros and cons, so don’t act like there’s no negatives to pasteurization.  

No one ever thinks of the negative consequences in modern society.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:47:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Lets go over this AGAIN.
Industrial milk production? YES pasteurize the shit out of it, the cows are covered in SHIT, there SHIT all over their tits, there is SHIT in the milk and so on in industrial dairy operation. SHIT, SHIT everywhere.
My own land and my own cow? Bessie is healthy and clean and I sure as shit going to give her tit a wipe down if I'm drinking raw milk.
You dip your spoon in shit before eating with it? No? Ok, dont dip your spoon in shit and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By tangbang:

Great, more for us. We’ve been feeding our children raw milk since weaned from human milk, oldest is nine now. It is superior to the stuff you buy in the grocery store.
View Quote

You have NO scientific proof to back that up
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:50:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fdawg] [#27]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:

Should we be like normal Americans and instead eat weird slurry made to resemble real food that requires a PhD in chemistry to read and understand all ingredients?
View All Quotes

Nope, you should stick to the drink triangle my guy.   Water, Whiskey, and Coffee..    no mixers, no add ons
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Also there is two ways to pasteurize milk one is to make it safe to drink and the other one makes it shelf stable. Guess which one is the most common and ruins the taste?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#29]

Nope, you should stick to the drink triangle my guy.   Water, Whiskey, and Coffee..    no mixers, no add one
View Quote

Alcoholism doesn't run in my family, it casually walks buy saying hello to every male member in my family like it knows them so well.
How about a compromise Water, Tea, Coffee?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Alcoholism doesn't run in my family, it casually walks buy saying hello to every male member in my family like it knows them so well.
View All Quotes

Nope, you should stick to the drink triangle my guy.   Water, Whiskey, and Coffee..    no mixers, no add one

I’ll allow it..  
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:00:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By RC03:
It's literally poop milk .

View Quote

Nah, they strain out most of the poop bits

Most
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#33]
What is wrong with pasteurized milk?

5G nanobots or something?
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By _Matt_:

Nah, they strain out most of the poop bits

Most
View Quote

You can also get sick if the cow has mastitis? Inflammation of the udder.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 7empest:
What is wrong with pasteurized milk?

5G nanobots or something?
View Quote

Commercially pasteurized milk tastes like shit.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

This.  

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2024/05/16/lies-against-raw-milk.aspx
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:05:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#38]
IIRC the big push for pasteurization was polio (maybe it was TB).  It was a huge thing, for the children...  The publicity campaign that big milk funded was probably on par with Reefer Madness (which was largely funded by the newspaper industry to kill the hemp pump industry - the newspaper industry was vertically invested in the wood pulp industry).  I think we have vaccinated against that for 50 years now.  I am sure there are plenty of other shit that can live in milk, some of which might be introduced in the milk from the cow - others in the handling of it.  That said, between the dairy monitoring the cattle and the additional monitoring that can be done by the state (I don't know if all states require it for raw milk - mine does), most of that can be controlled reasonably as well.  I would bet food poisoning from a restaurant is more likely.

Honestly, I suspect that getting a serious food born disease from a restaurant is a bigger risk.  I live in a tiny town, we had deaths from a restaurant (and probably dozens very sick) due to an employee getting hepatitis on vacation.  With the vast unwashed (and unvaccinated) masses coming over the border, I suspect it will only get worse.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Is it still raw if its boiled?  
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:26:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#40]
Originally Posted By akrado:
Is it still raw if its boiled?  
View Quote
I think pasteurized is flash heated.  Boiling is probably a higher temp - so no.  The 2 issues with raw is homogenization and pasteurization.  The first supposedly alters the protean structure (which supposedly increase the chances of allergies), the second kills supposedly kills off enzymes that aid with digestion.  I have been told, there are also gentic differences within the Jersey population which can help with allergies (some Jersey vs other Jersey).  I know the dairy I currently work with markets that as well - I have not researched it.  The closest raw dairy has several children that are classmates of my kids - so I help with their agrotainment side business in the fall (school field trips).  They run field trips 4 day's a week for about 2 months in the fall.  They also have a weekend program for the general public, in the past I have tried to avoid helping with that - but was recruited for it as they really needed some specific help (the grandfather took over that part of the program from his youngest brother about 6 years ago (his youngest brother is probably 70, but not in as good of health), but then injured himself 2 years ago - He recovered, but he is about 80 now and still needs the assistance).  Plus my oldest son works for them during the weekend fall season - so I am already taking him to the dairy (so I just sign in and get the work done).  It's recreational work for me - not economic.  I drive a tractor during the week and make kettle corn between rides and on the weekend - nothing milk related...

The biggest difference in taste is the cattle.  Commercial milk is largely from Holstein cattle.  In moderate climates, they produce MUCH more milk than some other breeds (they don't like heat much, so this diminishes in warm states).  Most raw is Jersey or similar.  They might produce 1/4 the milk, but almost 2x or more milk fat.  I am sure that effects taste - but also completely changes mouth feel.  There is also a small difference in protean.

Holstein

Jersey
Total solids 12.4% 14.6%
Fat 3.7 5.1
Solids-not-fat 8.7 9.5
Protein 3.1 3.7
Lactose 4.9 5.0
Other 0.7 0.8

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By hp6:
Why would anyone want to drink raw milk?  It has really high fat contact and tastes like buttermilk.  My relatives were Wisconsin dairy farmers. The milk went from the cows to the bulk tank to be chilled.  I remember going to the barn with a pitcher to collect the milk from the tank.  If you are not used to raw milk, it is very hard on your stomach.
View Quote

You obviously haven’t had raw milk
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
Time to do what other raw milk dairies are doing- label it as for animal use only, not for human consumption.
View Quote

This.

My buddy I'm Australia buys it this way.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:31:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StaccatoC2] [#44]
I personally could careless about raw milk. My father who was a county health officer is very very against it. A very large % of foodborne illness child deaths in the county he worked in was from raw milk, like close to 90% of the kids who died from foodborne illness was traced to raw milk, and it was over 100 a year. He had a hell of a time proving it, because no one would admit to it, so there is no official numbers. The county he was in also had a very large illegal immigrant community, and they did not trust the gov and they would not cooperate with most investigations. They also where the ones drinking it.

In maryland its illegal for human consumption, but there is a decently sized under ground group selling it. He did manage to get samples, and every single one they tested was contaminated. Mostly with bovine TB, and ecoli, the ecoli was what causing the kids to die. Mostly due to the speed it killed the kids, where as TB takes a lot longer to kill. By the time the parents would take the kids to the hospital it was normally too late. He really thought that most of it was coming from just a few "backyard" farmers, esp since the inspections where so strict on commercial farmers.

The county also had a huge drug resistant TB problem, also due to the illegal community not trusting them and people not getting proper treatment and over crowding in houses. It took years to gain their trust, he literally had workers go to the houses and just ask how many lived there when one tested positive, and would just give them meds for the number of people living there with no names or any info about them. AKA someone tested positive in the house, show up and ask how many people, answer 10, give 10 courses of meds and leave.

eta he retired from the county 20 years, so numbers are very old.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#45]

We pasteurize milk to prevent disease. Do you think our ancestors decided to pasteurized milk on a whim?

Why we pasteurized milk.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CryptoMan:

Freedom be scary yo

Freedom be scary yo.

When did they start pasteurizing milk and how did anyone survive before that? You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and should really just stop. It makes you look stupid and irrational. Those are not good traits in a man.

We pasteurize milk to prevent disease. Do you think our ancestors decided to pasteurized milk on a whim?

Why we pasteurized milk.

It’s ‘needed’ solely because of industrialized corporate dairy farms.

Local dairy’s in a local based economy - raw milk was a non issue.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:32:39 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

I had one experience with it. Ice cold right out of the bulk tank. That full milk fat was amazing.

Then my stomach started gurgling, and for dessert I had the trots for a couple hours.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Hell yeah brother!

One of the candy companies did a study that found being obese is healthier than being fit as well.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:37:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

It’s ‘needed’ solely because of industrialized corporate dairy farms.

Local dairy’s in a local based economy - raw milk was a non issue.
View Quote

After everyone got used to the sickness it provides.  

Go drink the water in India, its fine for the local economy.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Millennial:
Is there such a thing as raw skim milk?

I would try some.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#50]
The modern western NON-local food economy makes raw milk unsafe.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top