Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/22/2021 2:24:49 PM EDT

He and his mom are on the way to Daytona Beach now. He has already been accepted and offered scholarships to study Aero Engineering.  The only thing that makes me nervous is that he's never been the type of kid that eats and sleeps airplanes.  No posters, no models hanging from the ceiling. He has taken summer flight camps and engineering classes at the local Vo-Tech during his soph/junior years I just don't seem him as an airplane nut (a car nut for sure). Schoolwork has always been easy for him but I figured he's going to have to step it away up in College. Either way I wish his USAF Lt. Col Grandad was around to see this.

OK..so those of you that have been to Embry-Riddle..what did you think?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]
My nephew graduated from there.  
He became a pilot right after that.  
He seemed to like it a lot.  
It's expensive in part because you usually pay for flight school as part of it.  
He was not up to engineering or a technical degree, so got a...  business type degree i think, but with lots of flying, which people take just to be pilots.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Not enough info.  ERAU is EXPENSIVE, but if he has a scholarship that covers the bill, then that's great.  However, if he's not sure about the actual flying part, then there are lots of other options.  Might consider and college more geared to engineering (of all types) and flying on the side at a local FBO.  This provide HUGE savings and may work out better in the long run.  Plus, if he's into girls...I'm not sure that ERAU has a nursing program.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 3:16:09 PM EDT
[#3]
didn't go there but a buddy worked across the street and I lived in Daytona and port orange a while. The area is nice but can be sketchy, right around the school isn't nearly as nice as some of the other towns a few miles away. Check out the Ocean Deck and Deck Down Under for some decent restaurants, and if you can stay at the Shores that's the old beautiful hotel I used to work for.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I was doing a Master's program at ERAU before life got in the way. He can take the Engineering classes without flying- it ain't a requirement as far as I know.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Riddle for a masters is a great idea.

Riddle for you undergrad causes “meows” on guard.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:08:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not enough info.  ERAU is EXPENSIVE, but if he has a scholarship that covers the bill, then that's great.  However, if he's not sure about the actual flying part, then there are lots of other options.  Might consider and college more geared to engineering (of all types) and flying on the side at a local FBO.  This provide HUGE savings and may work out better in the long run.  Plus, if he's into girls...I'm not sure that ERAU has a nursing program.  
View Quote

Yeah I saw the yearly estimate and got a lump in my throat.  The school has offered 2 scholarships and Chic-Fil-A (where he's worked for 3 years) gave him a scholarship too.  Even with that its going to drain his 529 most assuredly.  He hasn't mentioned anything about learning to fly although he's had a little time with light aircraft during the local summer programs
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]
My only advice is to prep your wallet!
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#8]
A quality state school known for engineering can easily be found for lower cost and have better reputation in the real engineering world.  

I don't think it's worth the cost if you pay full tuition.  For me it would depend on how much his scholarships are worth and what scholarships he could get at a better engineering school.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#9]
If AeroE is the goal, go to an ENG school and do Engineering
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#10]
First, you don’t need to be in flight training to be at ERAU. There are cheaper options to become a pilot. And doing pilot training the same time as engineering takes up a lot of time. It IS Daytona.

Scholarships are the way to go to help cushion the cost. As a freshman it is probably best to stay on campus. On the west side is a converted hotel that is now a dorm, and has a view of the campus flight line and the Daytona Speedway. So will be a bit of noise. I think there are newer dorms. Also good apartments south of the college.

ERAU is in the league of MIT when it comes to engineering. And is highly regarded by employers.

If it’s about cars, Elaine Larson has a shop near ERAU, and used to partner with the university in some of the engineering disciplines. Don’t know about recent agreements.

Also needs to look into internships while there. In engineering disciplines there is fairly good pay, and makes connections for when college is done.

There are undefeated with their football program.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I went and didn't turn out too bad. It's pretty much a different school from when I went though.

Space X manned mission to ISS is launching very early tomorrow morning.  Maybe seeing a live launch will help him open up with interest.

Lots of intern opportunities available at KSC with NASA and many contractors.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:40:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
ERAU is in the league of MIT when it comes to engineering.
View Quote

Lol.

OP: there's nothing wrong with Erau but the above is delusional.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

He and his mom are on the way to Daytona Beach now. He has already been accepted and offered scholarships to study Aero Engineering.  The only thing that makes me nervous is that he's never been the type of kid that eats and sleeps airplanes.  No posters, no models hanging from the ceiling. He has taken summer flight camps and engineering classes at the local Vo-Tech during his soph/junior years I just don't seem him as an airplane nut (a car nut for sure). Schoolwork has always been easy for him but I figured he's going to have to step it away up in College. Either way I wish his USAF Lt. Col Grandad was around to see this.

OK..so those of you that have been to Embry-Riddle..what did you think?
View Quote

Ask them the Riddle of steel!
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:13:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Class of '81 here, when it was a paltry $800-1200 per trimester tuition for an Aeronautical Engineering BS.  For engineering I'd go to a state school for AE or ME (or EE if you're smarter than me), not worth the current money IMHO.
While it's nice to have a new hire that knows the difference between an aileron and a rudder, we hire more from the other "tech" schools than ERAU.  I'd say it does still carry a good reputation in the airplane biz, but not a requirement for the industry at all.  The Mazda 3 with a jet engine in it at the admissions office sold me, and I climbed the telephone poles a mile apart in Flagler Beach to nail a flag on the top for calibrating the airspeed indicator on the C-172 we used for the new flight test course, but it ain't the same trade school it was.  Hate to say it, but it was fun and cheap before it became more like a real university (but proly still sans girls, school spirit, frat parties and the other accoutrements of a real university).
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I went and didn't turn out too bad. It's pretty much a different school from when I went though.

Space X manned mission to ISS is launching very early tomorrow morning.  Maybe seeing a live launch will help him open up with interest.

Lots of intern opportunities available at KSC with NASA and many contractors.
View Quote

Thanks for the tip.  If I had been there I probably would have gotten up for that .
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I did my masters at ERAU.  It was a joke.  To say it was a ripoff would be the understatement of the year.  

If my kid wanted to go there, I'd probably try and talk him out of it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#17]
How do you know if someone went to Embry Riddle? Don’t worry they will tell you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Have you checked out F.I.T. ??  My son went to F.I.T. for Aerospace Engineering and has been working in the field for the past 5 year at a top company.

When we toured both Embry-Riddle and F.I.T.  I liked F.I.T. better.  More of a tight knit cohort with the students.  Not to mention the full ride my son received. ;-)

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I did my masters at ERAU.  It was a joke.  To say it was a ripoff would be the understatement of the year.  

View Quote

I actively try to talk people out of the flight program after what I heard about the Prescott program.

If you’re going to do collegiate aviation, I’d recommend Purdue, UCM, UND, Kansas State or other programs, personally. ERAU would be my last choice.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:55:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Master's in what?  In person or distance learning?  
OP: hopefully it goes without saying that distance learning is not acceptable for any serious education program, esp. science/engineering.

To be fair, many of the poor perceptions of ERAU come from the large number of non-technical degrees they award(sell) via distance learning.  
Went to Army flight school?  Use TA and take 12 joke classes online and you get a BS in "aeronautical studies" or something similarly non-technical.  
The in person technical education is OK, but the drive-thru-degree-window perception will always be there.  

If your kid wants to stick to the SE area there's plenty of options - Off the top of my head Auburn and GA Tech are similar cost with much better reputations.  Both schools are much larger and offer a wide variety of activities to learn from.  

GA Tech in particular is heavy on aviation, has a combined bs/ms AeroE program that takes only 5 years, and is heavily represented in the aviation engineering community.  
Auburn has a competitive formula SAE team where your kid would learn more about real-world engineering than he ever will in the classroom.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 2:14:33 PM EDT
[#21]
EXTREMELY overpriced for undergrad. I have multiple coworkers who have huge student debt from ERAU, and they all regret going there instead of somewhere more affordable. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Daytona Beach is where herpes comes from.  Make sure you give him the wrap it twice speech
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:29:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Daytona Beach is where herpes comes from.  Make sure you give him the wrap it twice speech
View Quote

Kid is so shy and nerdy it might be awhile ...He texted me from the airport ...He likes the place.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol
I went to the HS up the street from riddle. 30yrs ago riddle kids referred to it as herpes high had forgotten about that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Another graduate here....I wouldn’t do it.  Many solid recommendations in this thread already for other great engineering schools.  The juice ain’t worth the squeeze.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 11:20:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Master's in what?  In person or distance learning?  
View Quote

Aviation Safety...just distance learning on base.  I needed any bullshit masters in my record to make O-4.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 12:17:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

lol that is soo wrong
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

But it's so true!
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 12:36:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I just went to straight reply and skipped the previous post....

What I learned before I went on double secret probation;
Riddle Runaround is a thing
Daytona Campus, Spring Break is nearly 3 months long with finales right in the middle
It’s a Very diverse campus, not a bad thing, male to female student population is heavy on the male.
Daytona is a tourist / seasonal city but hood rats & beach bums are a thing.
3 Speed Weeks, Bike, 24 Hour & NASCAR, 3 very unique groups. I had a friend that worked at the airport. During the 500 I made serious bucks shuttling fans & sponsors from their jets to the track

Like I said I was a distracted student and it was a LONG time ago when I was there as a student.

Good luck
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 12:56:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Lol so the boy and my wife were supposed to have landed back in OKC earlier tonight but the weather in Texas threw a wrench in the works.  I had to reserve them a spot over the phone near the DFW airport.  turns out I picked a shithole.  ahh well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 2:08:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
First, you don't need to be in flight training to be at ERAU. There are cheaper options to become a pilot. And doing pilot training the same time as engineering takes up a lot of time. It IS Daytona.

Scholarships are the way to go to help cushion the cost. As a freshman it is probably best to stay on campus. On the west side is a converted hotel that is now a dorm, and has a view of the campus flight line and the Daytona Speedway. So will be a bit of noise. I think there are newer dorms. Also good apartments south of the college.

ERAU is in the league of MIT when it comes to engineering. And is highly regarded by employers.

If it's about cars, Elaine Larson has a shop near ERAU, and used to partner with the university in some of the engineering disciplines. Don't know about recent agreements.

Also needs to look into internships while there. In engineering disciplines there is fairly good pay, and makes connections for when college is done.

There are undefeated with their football program.
View Quote
@wmagrush

Hotel Motel McKay is no more. It was also purpose built as a dorm, it was never a hotel or a motel.

https://news.erau.edu/news-briefs/isabel-mckays-granddaughter-sees-demolition-of-her-grandmothers-residence-hall

Link Posted: 4/24/2021 2:11:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

lol that is soo wrong
View All Quotes
That's a Aeroflot 777-300 this the 777-3OmER designation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 7:26:17 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a relative starting the Aerospace Engineering program in September.

The campus is definitely nicer than anything I was ever able to go to.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#36]
On my third major airline here.  Get a degree in anything he can get good grades in and finish rapidly.  Then fly on the side at an All ATPs type puppy mill.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:31:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:29:14 AM EDT
[#39]
If he wants to be an engineer, I say go to a university with a good engineering program. If he hates it or washes out, there will be a lot more options which don't involve transferring. Doesn't sound like he wants to fly, and if he does, he can go to an FBO and learn for cheaper.

If he decides he does want to fly, still get a degree in something else. Engineering, business management, finance etc. An aviation flight degree is basically worthless outside of flying. Getting a decent job not in an airplane with a flight degree is tough sledding, trust me. Also, whatever he does do, after he graduates, put an application in for FAA ATC. Even if it doesn't work out, there is nothing to lose at that point.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 12:58:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Nephew went there and it turned out really well, but he was all about being a pilot.

Univ. Colorado has a strong aero program with good synchronization to "industry needs."  Graduated a bunch of astronauts too, FWIW.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Lol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ERAU is in the league of MIT when it comes to engineering.

Lol.

Yeah, I laughed when I read that too.  All I could think is tell me you’re ERAU alumni, without telling me you’re ERAU alumni.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah, I laughed when I read that too.  All I could think is tell me you’re ERAU alumni, without telling me you’re ERAU alumni.
View Quote

J.Paul Riddle’s School for Wayward Boys was also called the Harvard of the Skies at some point..............went there in the early 70s (couple of buildings on main campus, aircraft maintenance training was in Quonset huts on the other side of the airport by the speedway), no way it came close to any Harvard......also the only school I am aware of that had a pro Vietnam war “protest”, IIRC in the late 60s. And no, did not go to fly, did that before going there.
Also did a spell teaching there on the A&P side..........a long time ago. Place has completely changed since then.  Would I go there nowadays? Nope
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Twenty years ago, Daytona was where you went to fuck off and get that piece of paper, and Prescott was where you went to get an education. At least for engineers, anyway. I went to Prescott, loved it, but not sure about today's tuition.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#45]
There are better alternatives from a financial standpoint.  Not as much of a concern when someone else is paying; there are lots of Boeing employees earning Embry-Riddle degrees where tuition is paid by the company.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I had a young guy with a MS from ERAU working for me that received a good education.  I think he had a ME degree.

Twenty years ago their program was on par with Parks.

I own a textbook written by one of the instructors there that is outstanding.

Tell your son to stay away from a career as a strength analyst.  It will grind him down.

View Quote

They don't call it Stress for nothing.
Which textbook?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
J.Paul Riddle’s School for Wayward Boys was also called the Harvard of the Skies at some point....
View Quote

Did they call themselves that?
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#48]
If your kid wants to make lots of friends tell him to become the designated driver all the time.  Pilots CAN NOT GET DUIs if they want to fly commercial.  One of my buddies who is allergic to alcohol went to emery and went to a lot of parties as the DD.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#50]
No offense to anyone but ERAU is a joke of a school.

It doesn't carry academic weight of a real E School like MIT/Cal Tech, or even large state school programs.
It has a comically bad reputation in the aviation sphere outside of people who went there. "oh, you have no social skills, no life experience and 250k in student debt? you must be an ERAU grad."

It is expensive beyond reason. Just go to a large state school. He'll thank you later.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top