Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2017 3:31:06 PM EDT
Well kind of.

I had a cheap one prior and always enjoyed the process. It was never really that sharp and I hated the bill boarding it had all over it.

Well I finally got promoted back in June. I decided this was the perfect time to buy myself a expensive gift I have no real reason to own. I got in touch with a guy several months ago about making me a straight edge.

I have basically zero artistic imagination so I gave him a few pictures of what I was looking for and told him to do his thing. He came back with a few drawings until I finally approved it. I wanted something prehistoric looking. So below is the approved drawing. 9/8 blade. Hell be using camel bone that's close to the marrow for a rough look for the scales. I wanted a really unique piece, and I believe this is about as unique as it gets.

Then there was a few more months of waiting.

Well that waiting is finally about over. I touched base with him this week to see how he was doing on it. Suppose to ship out next week. Once it arrives Ill update with pics and such.

Anyways my shaving accessories are a bit old and the soap is about gone now. What are you guys using and where do you get your shaving supplies at? I was hoping to get a few things in anticipation of this straight edge.

Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the handle a guitar neck?  Because that would be the most metal straight razor.

I got my brush from this guy..  His stuff can be spendy, but after 3 years mine is still holding up well.  Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap off eBay, and Captain's Choice aftershave.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is the handle a guitar neck?  Because that would be the most metal straight razor.

I got my brush from this guy..  His stuff can be spendy, but after 3 years mine is still holding up well.  Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap off eBay, and Captain's Choice aftershave.
View Quote
Finger grooves.

It does look like that now that you mention it though . The middle portion is camel bone that will be distressed. He said hed use bone close to the marrow for a even rougher look

To be honest he tried to shy me away from the finger grooves, but I insisted. To me its what really sets it apart from most others.

I don't always shave with a straight razor(I make a thing of it when I do and its time consuming), but when I do I'm going to feel like a bad motherfucker with this one
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:25:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
OK, that's really freaking cool, and I'm looking forward to the pics.

As to consumables, I generally use Amazon Prime since it is typically cheaper and faster.
While there are many good vendors, I rarely can't find the same products that I happen to like, at amazon.
View Quote
I'm entirely too excited to shave with this thing

I forgot to mention hes making a box for it as well, but that shouldn't be anything too special. Just something to keep it in since it is fixed so the blade wont get dinged up.

I really like the brushes mentioned above. I think Ill wait till I get it so I can see the final look to decide what to go with. But I definitely want some better stuff than what I have now, not that theres anything wrong with it, just the bill boarding

Suppose to go out the 26th to me. I'm hoping itll be in my hands by the end of next week.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Today is suppose to be the day its done.

In the mean time I chased down the USPS man yesterday for this new blade

Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#6]
This may indeed turn into a safe thread, haven't heard anything so far about it
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 9:08:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Well

I finally got a pic of it. Not the best pic, but a pic

Not huge on the punisher skull.... thatll probably have to come off.

He said he took pictures of cave drawings and incorporated it into the camel bone. I think that's growing on me a bit, but I didn't expect that.

Love how the blade itself turned out though

Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#9]
If I'm not buying from Amazon I go to https://www.westcoastshaving.com/.

ETA
Nice looking blade, please edit your OP, @chase45 , with a link to the maker.

Tagged for pics when you get the razor.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If I'm not buying from Amazon I go to https://www.westcoastshaving.com/.

ETA
Nice looking blade, please edit your OP, @chase45 , with a link to the maker.

Tagged for pics when you get the razor.
View Quote
Maker is a guy named Christopher out of Denver

His business is Shave Smith

Shavesmith.com

His sales go through etsy however
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Ill throw up more pics as they become available

Suppose to have this thing tomorrow
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Really happy with how this turned out

So. I didn't think about how heavy this sucker would be. Lol now I'm a little nervous

Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#13]
That looks awesome
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't forget to tape the top edge when you hone it or the 3D effect will only be 2 1/2D
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Very sexy blade
Link Posted: 12/5/2017 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#17]
That thing is awesome! Congrats.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Still using her

Link Posted: 6/5/2018 2:15:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Interesting !  West Coast Shaving- sign up for their emails, and once in awhile they’ll have free standard shipping. I also use Amazon for some things, such as blades in quantities of 100.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top