Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2020 10:00:29 AM EDT
I was about to post a before-and-after but I'm not posting my face on a gun forum. Just assume I'm a Klown. PERSEC you know?

Anyway, Merkur 38C with Red Personna Israli blade, Stirling Executive Man soap, West Coast Shaving badger brush. Since it was my first time I only did a single with-the-grain pass. I can already feel irritation but I think I didnt use enough lather. I'm still learning . Even so, I did NOT cut or nick myself. It is definitely a different feel from my usual old Gillette Fusion.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 11:30:01 AM EDT
[#1]
My middle brother swore up and down about how great a shave he got from a razor like that. After he passed my niece gave me his razor collection, and I have yet to be brave enough to try using one of them.

I think he said he watched videos on YouTube of proper shaving methods. I may check some out and try one of his razors.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember, your face will get used to it and you will get less irritation. Always map your face in case of those patches growing at a different direction. As for the lather, I always prefer it on the wet side (face lathering) instead of foamy. You will find your preference as you try different methods.

Last, short strokes and let the razor do the work; no pressure.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nosmik:
Remember, your face will get used to it and you will get less irritation. Always map your face in case of those patches growing at a different direction. As for the lather, I always prefer it on the wet side (face lathering) instead of foamy. You will find your preference as you try different methods.

View Quote

The last part is what I did. Actually I thought it might be too heavy. Guess we'll see tomorrow about irritation and razor burn. For my first time I feel I did it right. I just didnt want to get too far ahead of myself.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Do.Not.Rush.

Link Posted: 11/15/2020 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the way.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Follow up: no razor burn or redness. I declare it a success!
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Let the addiction begin, !!!

If you enjoyed Stirling, their samples are a bargain. Great way to test a few scents and formulas (Beef/Mutton Tallow).
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:57:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dreiwhit] [#8]
Originally Posted By Nosmik:
View Quote

IMHO, this is part of the secret to using a DE razor.  You really have to learn to shave all over again.

I tried many years ago to use a DE razor, shaving the way I did with a multi-blade wonder razor, and got the worst case of razor burn I ever had.

I started shaving with a DE razor and gel almost two years ago, using the advice listed above, and have never looked back.  I get a much better shave than I ever got with modern multi blade razors.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Voskhod blades are my favorite. Mitchell's Woolfat soap also makes a difference for me. You will figure out what works for you with a little experimentation
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Smurf10161:
Voskhod blades are my favorite. Mitchell's Woolfat soap also makes a difference for me. You will figure out what works for you with a little experimentation
View Quote

It's time for Round 2 and I might just try the Voskhod this time. I gotta say I've never been excited to shave. Now I'm excited about it!
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#11]
If you end up liking the Voskhod, IM and I'll send you some with other brands. It will take a bit of time to find your favorite blade. At first, they were ok but found others that worked much better for me.
Link Posted: 11/21/2020 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#12]
So I actually just tried again with the Red Personna Israeli blades. Just wanted to make sure it wasnt lack of lather. So I lathered up REAL nice and popped in a fresh blade.....and I think these blades are maybe just not right for me. So this next time I will try the Voskhod.

Anyone have any tips for getting right under the nose? I struggled with that.
Link Posted: 11/22/2020 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#13]
You thought shooting was expensive!  Ha!  Now you've done it!  

Best shave ever!  Wish I would have started a lot earlier!
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:44:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:
Follow up: no razor burn or redness. I declare it a success!
View Quote

Congrats!

After I learned no pressure and letting the razor do the work, there was no going back to a modern razor.

A DE razor actually does give me the best shave.  I wish I would have started shaving with one years ago.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Update: After trying a few blades I really liked Voskhod after trying the Red Personna Israeli blades. Until tonight's shave I feel it wasnt enough. Might go back to the Reds.

Also found out I can manscape with it(sorry if thats too inappropriate). Was kinda scared to. Used a Feather blade with no errors. Next shave I'll try the Feather. I do expect a little irritation, but I don't believe I'll cut myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top