Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/18/2020 6:42:46 PM EDT
Sometime in March a thread was started in GD asking if anyone had started taking, or knew someone who was taking, hydroxychloroquine for Covid 19. I replied I take hydroxychloroquine for arthritis and would be willing to post my experience if/when there was a story to tell. So, here it is.

On March 19, wife returned from a multi day, multi state trip.  Five days later she started having symptoms, elevated temp, headache, body aches, feeling wiped out, etc. Next day was worse so went to MD. At that point one had to be very ill to get tested, at least here. Symptoms lasted 5-6 days then started feeling better, but altered taste lasted  a lot longer. We assumed she had experienced Covid 19. I never had any symptoms.

Last week of April wife was "randomly selected" to participate in a statewide Covid testing/screening program sponsored by State Board of Health. Early May, her results came back + for antigen, + for antibodies. At that point guidelines for testing had changed to anyone symptomatic and/or anyone with close physical relationship with someone who had tested +, so I was able to be tested. Received results today, + for antibodies. Again, I have never had any symptoms.

I am sure all you medical/scientific types are going to say anecdotal, does not prove anything. I think this is a good indicator that this med has a role in treatment of Covid 19. And, it has been used in treatment of other similar viral infections, apparently with positive results. I hope someone will do the proper double blind studies. But, if this virus goes away quickly like other similar ones have, that may be difficult, even impossible.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Good for you, glad wife is OK too. Healthcare pros have been hoarding the stuff for a while in case they or their loved ones got the WuFlu.

If I were to get it, I'd be all over my PCP to gimme a zinc plus hydroxy Rx.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Unpossible. The doomers said you die if you get teh COVID.

FAKE NEWS.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your story OP.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#5]
So you were an asymptomatic super spreader of doom?

ETA also, Glad you and the wife are OK
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad you and your wife are o.k.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad you and the wife are okay.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for posting OP.  Happy to hear you are both OK.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't know why they're not giving this shit out to people as soon as they test positive.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#10]
im the biggest skeptic in the world..

having said that, if i got symptoms, assuming nothing better was available, i would ask my doc for this stuff.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
This treatment infographic has had HCQ for over a month.

No one seems to care though,

https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_public/departments/internal_medicine/Marik-Covid-Protocol-Summary.pdf
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#12]
It's too bad the people that really need to hear this....won't.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#13]
OP if you don't mind me asking, how old are you and the Mrs? What county do you reside in?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Whats your blood type?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Compta:
I don't know why they're not giving this shit out to people as soon as they test positive.
View Quote

It's too expensive....no.
It's too difficult to make....no.
It's too new and untested.....no.
Trump supports it......yes, Orange Man bad.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice post 1777
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sometime in March a thread was started in GD asking if anyone had started taking, or knew someone who was taking, hydroxychloroquine for Covid 19. I replied I take hydroxychloroquine for arthritis and would be willing to post my experience if/when there was a story to tell. So, here it is.

On March 19, wife returned from a multi day, multi state trip.  Five days later she started having symptoms, elevated temp, headache, body aches, feeling wiped out, etc. Next day was worse so went to MD. At that point one had to be very ill to get tested, at least here. Symptoms lasted 5-6 days then started feeling better, but altered taste lasted  a lot longer. We assumed she had experienced Covid 19. I never had any symptoms.

Last week of April wife was "randomly selected" to participate in a statewide Covid testing/screening program sponsored by State Board of Health. Early May, her results came back + for antigen, + for antibodies. At that point guidelines for testing had changed to anyone symptomatic and/or anyone with close physical relationship with someone who had tested +, so I was able to be tested. Received results today, + for antibodies. Again, I have never had any symptoms.

I am sure all you medical/scientific types are going to say anecdotal, does not prove anything. I think this is a good indicator that this med has a role in treatment of Covid 19. And, it has been used in treatment of other similar viral infections, apparently with positive results. I hope someone will do the proper double blind studies. But, if this virus goes away quickly like other similar ones have, that may be difficult, even impossible.
View Quote

You need to contact Doc Oz as he is part of a national study evaluating exactly this—potential prophylactic uses of the drug. You are exactly the data lints with testing to back it up he needs.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm glad you are both ok. Something worked out in your favor for sure.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By NavyDoc1:

You need to contact Doc Oz as he is part of a national study evaluating exactly this—potential prophylactic uses of the drug. You are exactly the data lints with testing to back it up he needs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CMB69:
Sometime in March a thread was started in GD asking if anyone had started taking, or knew someone who was taking, hydroxychloroquine for Covid 19. I replied I take hydroxychloroquine for arthritis and would be willing to post my experience if/when there was a story to tell. So, here it is.

On March 19, wife returned from a multi day, multi state trip.  Five days later she started having symptoms, elevated temp, headache, body aches, feeling wiped out, etc. Next day was worse so went to MD. At that point one had to be very ill to get tested, at least here. Symptoms lasted 5-6 days then started feeling better, but altered taste lasted  a lot longer. We assumed she had experienced Covid 19. I never had any symptoms.

Last week of April wife was "randomly selected" to participate in a statewide Covid testing/screening program sponsored by State Board of Health. Early May, her results came back + for antigen, + for antibodies. At that point guidelines for testing had changed to anyone symptomatic and/or anyone with close physical relationship with someone who had tested +, so I was able to be tested. Received results today, + for antibodies. Again, I have never had any symptoms.

I am sure all you medical/scientific types are going to say anecdotal, does not prove anything. I think this is a good indicator that this med has a role in treatment of Covid 19. And, it has been used in treatment of other similar viral infections, apparently with positive results. I hope someone will do the proper double blind studies. But, if this virus goes away quickly like other similar ones have, that may be difficult, even impossible.

You need to contact Doc Oz as he is part of a national study evaluating exactly this—potential prophylactic uses of the drug. You are exactly the data lints with testing to back it up he needs.

Yes please ...our family doctor refuses to prescribe it thanks to the cronies running our local hospital where he has privileges...

So please contact Doc Oz
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Can I ask you what is the dosage for arthritis?  Do you take every day or once a week like for malaria prophylaxis?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Ghostface:
OP if you don't mind me asking, how old are you and the Mrs? What county do you reside in?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ghostface:
OP if you don't mind me asking, how old are you and the Mrs? What county do you reside in?

We are retired. Marion. As a side note, I purchased an AR10 from you a few years ago.

When I heard about hydroxy being used, and the controversy, I tried to find somewhere to offer myself as part of some study. My family doc put out some feelers also. Was not successful. I will think about it.

Some thing else we learned. I did not understand wife's + antigen and + antibodies results. We were informed that people have been testing + for antigen at least 3 mos. after known exposure, first + test, etc. It may be around even longer in some people. I do not know if that is normal/common with this type infection

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Getnlwr:
Thanks for sharing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes, i remember... i thought your screen name was familiar.  Im glad you two are doing well!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good stuff
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:17:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't know why they're not giving this shit out to people as soon as they test positive.
View Quote

Money, they need to push something that maximizes profits.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Sample size of one and correlation not being causation, etc.  I'm glad you are both well.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#27]

We are retired. Marion. As a side note, I purchased an AR10 from you a few years ago.

When I heard about hydroxy being used, and the controversy, I tried to find somewhere to offer myself as part of some study. My family doc put out some feelers also. Was not successful. I will think about it.

Some thing else we learned. I did not understand wife's + antigen and + antibodies results. We were informed that people have been testing + for antigen at least 3 mos. after known exposure, first + test, etc. It may be around even longer in some people. I do not know if that is normal/common with this type infection

View Quote

I know that Doc Oz is a stupid TV talkshow doc, but the study is real. They are researching the possibility of the drug being used prophylacticly and are actively seeking out chronic users of the drug (say for psoriasis) and exposures. That you and your wife both had the illness, proven by testing, and one got sick but the other did not, I’d actually a pretty key piece of evidence. No guessing because you have objectively documented infection. Sean Hannity’s website may have contact information as they were talking about it on the radio.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#28]

I know that Doc Oz is a stupid TV talkshow doc, but the study is real. They are researching the possibility of the drug being used prophylacticly and are actively seeking out chronic users of the drug (say for psoriasis) and exposures. That you and your wife both had the illness, proven by testing, and one got sick but the other did not, I’d actually a pretty key piece of evidence. No guessing because you have objectively documented infection. Sean Hannity’s website may have contact information as they were talking about it on the radio.
View Quote

Noted, thanks for the info. I will try to contact.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Good for you, glad wife is OK too. Healthcare pros have been hoarding the stuff for a while in case they or their loved ones got the WuFlu.

If I were to get it, I'd be all over my PCP to gimme a zinc plus hydroxy Rx.
View Quote
Tell your PCP to write the script for dealing with Lupus or diabetes.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#30]
So testing positive for both the antigen and the antibody means there's probably no chance the test is picking up some other coronavirus you may have had a while back or recently? Trying to wrap my head around all this.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 8:51:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Whats your blood type?
View Quote

Curious to that as also. Chatter about certain blood types being less prone to symptoms.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#32]
For what it's worth, they have tested thousands where I work.  Roughly 1/3 tested positive.  Less than half of those had symptoms.  The people I personally knew that tested positive showed no symptoms during their quarantine.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:37:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By liberals-R-retarded:

It's too expensive....no.
It's too difficult to make....no.
It's too new and untested.....no.
Trump supports it......yes, Orange Man bad. 
View Quote

Sums it up!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:39:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for sharing that, OP

I consider it not only great news for you and your wife, but for all of us,
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Dsparil:

Good stuff
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dsparil:
Sometime in March a thread was started in GD asking if anyone had started taking, or knew someone who was taking, hydroxychloroquine for Covid 19. I replied I take hydroxychloroquine for arthritis and would be willing to post my experience if/when there was a story to tell. So, here it is.

On March 19, wife returned from a multi day, multi state trip.  Five days later she started having symptoms, elevated temp, headache, body aches, feeling wiped out, etc. Next day was worse so went to MD. At that point one had to be very ill to get tested, at least here. Symptoms lasted 5-6 days then started feeling better, but altered taste lasted  a lot longer. We assumed she had experienced Covid 19. I never had any symptoms.

Last week of April wife was "randomly selected" to participate in a statewide Covid testing/screening program sponsored by State Board of Health. Early May, her results came back + for antigen, + for antibodies. At that point guidelines for testing had changed to anyone symptomatic and/or anyone with close physical relationship with someone who had tested +, so I was able to be tested. Received results today, + for antibodies. Again, I have never had any symptoms.

I am sure all you medical/scientific types are going to say anecdotal, does not prove anything. I think this is a good indicator that this med has a role in treatment of Covid 19. And, it has been used in treatment of other similar viral infections, apparently with positive results. I hope someone will do the proper double blind studies. But, if this virus goes away quickly like other similar ones have, that may be difficult, even impossible.

Good stuff

Yea, thanks OP.

Please contact Dr. Oz! A victory for chloroquine is a victory for Trump!
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes please ...our family doctor refuses to prescribe it thanks to the cronies running our local hospital where he has privileges...

So please contact Doc Oz
View Quote
Fire him.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I take 200 mg PO B.I.D. for Rheumatoid Arthritis. Now I'm adding Zinc and a few other OTC vitamins and minerals.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#38]
We already know that upwards of 50 percent of people who get the virus show no symptoms, this is highly anecdotal as OP noted.

Quoted:

Yea, thanks OP.

Please contact Dr. Oz! A victory for chloroquine is a victory for Trump!
View Quote

No, this is illogical and wrong.  Evidence for the effectiveness of Hydroxychloroquine in one of the many trials still ongoing would be a victory in the war against covid-19, which must be fought logically.  Boosting positive, anecdotal results or confirmation bias towards positive info is counterproductive.

The BBC said, just a few days ago this:

There is insufficient evidence at the moment from current trials as to their effective use in treatment of patients with Covid-19.

There are also risks of serious side effects, including renal and liver damage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/51980731

Let's wait for the results of the 20 or so scientific studies the BBC article notes are in progress and use an objective analysis so that only proven treatments are being prescribed.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Lug1:
Thanks for your story OP.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#40]
I call BS.  FDA says HCQ is a dangerous drug that causes heart problems and cannot be used outside a hospital setting because you need to be monitored!  MSM said so!   (While ignoring the widespread use to treat arthritis safely.)

*Glad to hear you both weathered the COVID storm.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Op I’m sorry to tell you this but this is your uploaded conscious and you are posting from San Junipero.

They uploaded it when the covid got you

Ps I’m glad you all made it
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By WadeGarrett:
Unpossible. The doomers said you die if you get teh COVID.

FAKE NEWS.
View Quote

The only thing more retarded than the doomers is your post.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#43]
OP, did you get H1N1 around 8-9 years ago, or get the vaccine for it?  There is a lot of anecdotal evidence of current covid immunity in those that went through that event.

I’m not discounting the Hydroxychloroquine protection though.

Glad you’re ok, whatever the reason.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#44]
OP, thanks for posting.  I can't understand why MSM will make so much effort to discredit anything good about an off-patent drug and even go so far as to say you will die if you take it.

Off-patent.... nvm.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By MeInMediocrity:
OP, thanks for posting.  I can't understand why MSM will make so much effort to discredit anything good about an off-patent drug and even go so far as to say you will die if you take it.

Off-patent.... nvm.
View Quote

Did you mean "off label"?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:21:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By The_Reaper:

Did you mean "off label"?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By The_Reaper:
Originally Posted By MeInMediocrity:
OP, thanks for posting.  I can't understand why MSM will make so much effort to discredit anything good about an off-patent drug and even go so far as to say you will die if you take it.

Off-patent.... nvm.

Did you mean "off label"?

That too.

How are we ever going to sell 300 million doses of an untested vaccine if everyone self treats?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#47]
I take hydroxychloroquine as well, non covid related. So far no one I know has had covid but I do feel better getting out and mingling in town, knowing I’m already taking it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why did your wife test positive both for the antigen and antibodies?
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

On another thread someone mentioned that Gilead (maker of one of the new drugs being developed) was going to make a lot of money if their drug works and takes off. A cheaper drug like HCL at 60 cents a pill would kill the potential profits of such a maker of a much more expensive drug (Remdesivir supposed to cost $4,000 and be administered through an IV in the hospital) and not even require an expensive hospital stay.

If HCL is proven to work as many people claim it does, there would be no need for expensive hospital admissions for coronavirus because they could be cured at home long before the symptoms become life threatening. Hospitals, doctors, and pharmaceutical companies would lose a possible gold mine if HCL works as many claim it does. It's kind of like that old 70's myth about some home engineer who developed a car engine/carburator that got 125 mile per gallon and suddenly he disappeared and so did his invention. Supposedly because the big oil companies didn't want a device that would make their gasoline dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Tier0ne0perator:
We already know that upwards of 50 percent of people who get the virus show no symptoms, this is highly anecdotal as OP noted.

No, this is illogical and wrong.  Evidence for the effectiveness of Hydroxychloroquine in one of the many trials still ongoing would be a victory in the war against covid-19, which must be fought logically.  Boosting positive, anecdotal results or confirmation bias towards positive info is counterproductive.

The BBC said, just a few days ago this: 

There is insufficient evidence at the moment from current trials as to their effective use in treatment of patients with Covid-19.

There are also risks of serious side effects, including renal and liver damage. 

Let's wait for the results of the 20 or so scientific studies the BBC article notes are in progress and use an objective analysis so that only proven treatments are being prescribed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tier0ne0perator:
We already know that upwards of 50 percent of people who get the virus show no symptoms, this is highly anecdotal as OP noted.

Originally Posted By JPK:

Yea, thanks OP.

Please contact Dr. Oz! A victory for chloroquine is a victory for Trump!

No, this is illogical and wrong.  Evidence for the effectiveness of Hydroxychloroquine in one of the many trials still ongoing would be a victory in the war against covid-19, which must be fought logically.  Boosting positive, anecdotal results or confirmation bias towards positive info is counterproductive.

The BBC said, just a few days ago this: 

There is insufficient evidence at the moment from current trials as to their effective use in treatment of patients with Covid-19.

There are also risks of serious side effects, including renal and liver damage. 

Let's wait for the results of the 20 or so scientific studies the BBC article notes are in progress and use an objective analysis so that only proven treatments are being prescribed.

Serious side effects if people don't follow the dosage instructions or just self medicate with stuff they bought mail order from China or India.

I really question the media's motives when they keep running stories like this.  HCQ has been around forever and people have been taking it for years at a time, but suddenly when it could potentially be an effective treatment against covid its so dangerous it shouldn't be used??
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top