Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/26/2022 10:06:52 PM EDT
Him and his little gang were on a two lane road in WY.  

They were behind a semi truck that was behind a slower truck.  A chance opened up to pass so my dad's friend on his Ducati just lets it rip around the semi.

All of a sudden the semi comes out to pass the slower truck that was in front of him.....ran him right off the road (my dad was not trying to pass and saw the whole thing).

He was doing about 90 when he went off the road and hit a berm thing that launched him for about 250 feet end over end and anything else you can imagine.

As my dad came up on him he thought for sure he was dead but he was not.

compound fracture tibia
broken pelvis
4 broken ribs
7 cracked vertebrae
brokem wrist

No major head or neck injuries, he was wearing a full face Helmut.  Were it not for the full face he would have seriously messed up his face.

LESSON

If you are on a bike and gonna pass a semi that is behind a slower truck....make sure you make eye contact with the driver in the mirror before you get after it or you better have enough shoulder to spare.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:09:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy fuck he's lucky to be alive.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad he is alive!

AGAT (All the Gear All the Time) for me!
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They were behind a semi truck that was behind a slower truck.  A chance opened up to pass so my dad's friend on his Ducati just lets it rip around the semi.

All of a sudden the semi comes out to pass the slower truck that was in front of him.....ran him right off the road (my dad was not trying to pass and saw the whole thing).

He was doing about 90 when he went off the road and hit a berm thing that launched him for about 250 feet end over end and anything else you can imagine.

compound fracture tibia
broken pelvis
4 broken ribs
7 cracked vertebrae
brokem wrist

No major head or neck injuries, he was wearing a full face Helmut.  Were it not for the full face he would have seriously messed up his face.

LESSON

If you are on a bike and gonna pass a semi that is behind a slower truck....make sure you make eye contact with the driver in the mirror before you get after it or you better have enough shoulder to spare.  

View Quote

i see it every weekend when i go out for a ride on my sportster...when i was younger i would pass everything...anywhere. now, just enjoy the ride and the scenery. i let faster traffic by and if i am stuck behind a slow poke, well, its time to make a turn on a different road. its not worth it to me with all the road rage and karens  out there
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

compound fracture tibia
broken pelvis
4 broken ribs
7 cracked vertebrae
brokem wrist

LESSON

View Quote

Other than "don't ride one" the only real lesson to be learned about motorcycles is to wear a proper helmet. My ex-wife's father died ten days ago after a motorcycle accident. Big bike, small helmet, and he died of brain trauma. His wife was riding with him, and she broke many bones (13) but wore a proper helmet and has no brain injury and is expected to recover.

Quite literally the difference between life and death.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve been nearly run off the road by people that looked right at me from what I could tell.

Safer to assume worst case in every scenario on a bike.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I've never had any interest in motorcycles, and retarded/oblivious drivers are a big reason why.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Texting. Bet it was due to texting.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:18:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. My dad thought for sure he was going to come up on his dead friend.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Other than "don't ride one" the only real lesson to be learned about motorcycles is to wear a proper helmet. My ex-wife's father died ten days ago after a motorcycle accident. Big bike, small helmet, and he died of brain trauma. His wife was riding with him, and she broke many bones (13) but wore a proper helmet and has no brain injury and is expected to recover.

View Quote

Wow that’s terrible.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I’ve been nearly run off the road by people that looked right at me from what I could tell.

Safer to assume worst case in every scenario on a bike.
View Quote

Agree. I pretty much pretend that nobody can see me… That I am invisible, and I expect someone to pull out in front of me at all times.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember being told in my MSF class that every motorcycle has a super power.

The power of invisibility.

Sucks about your Dad's friend OP. I'm trying to stick more to trails and back woods gravel roads to avoid all the idiots out there.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#13]
He’s lucky to be alive. I lost a good friend in Smithfield in early August when a dude in an oncoming vehicle crossed the center lane and hit him head on. My friend held on for a couple days and passed. The guy that hit him was arrested last year for reckless driving - old habits.

Smithfield accident

Obituary
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Heres to a smooth recovery.
I only ever rode trail dirt bikes.  I still hit trees. lol.
But at least they werent moving.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He’s lucky to be alive. I lost a good friend in Smithfield in early August when a dude in an oncoming vehicle crossed the center lane and hit him head on. My friend held on for a couple days and passed. The guy that hit him was arrested last year for reckless driving - old habits.

Smithfield accident

Obituary
View Quote

Ugh.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ducati.. still passing.. 90mph…

Lesson, get your fucking pass done before a truck can lumber over. The Ducati can do it if asked.
View Quote

My dad thinks that what he tried to do…the truck started coming over and it looked like he was trying to beat it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:38:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Glad he is alive!

AGAT (All the Gear All the Time) for me!
View Quote

Trauma sees a lot of damage from donorcycles over the summer. Maybe a helmet, sneakers, perhaps a jacket.

The rate of severe injury is retardedly high. Life altering in many cases.

Best outcome for high speed MCA was a dude wearing armor like I've never seen. Old guy, came in after someone spilled him going a decent rate. Armor was messed up and he definitely wasn't going to be walking for a few weeks but spine, neck, and head all intact.

Wear protection
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Lesson, get your fucking pass done before a truck can lumber over. The Ducati can do it if asked.
View Quote

And what's the speed limit again?

I feel for the guy, but if he'd been closer to the speed limit maybe he could have slowed down and aborted the pass.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that German?
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I love bikes, spent 5 years building a bad assed Pan-Evo. Gorgeous sled.
In that 5 years I had 4 people I knew put in boxes and my best friend was put in a wheelchair.
Add the fact the wife and I had been rear ended in my F350 dually by a DUI in that timeframe- had we been on my bike my kids would have been instant orphans.
I took it out on its maiden run on a Sunday afternoon.
In 83 miles I had 3 people make left turns right in front of me.
I pulled it in the garage and told the wife “Fuck it, I’m not dying on this fucking thing”.
Sold it a week later.

I love ‘em but I ain’t dyin on one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:44:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
cages save lives. The only way I would ever ride a bike would be on a closed track.

you are literally invisible on a bike. to the casual driver their instincts are to ignore smaller objects and concentrate on larger car sized objects. I find myself doing it. I go out of my way to stay away from bikes because of that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:49:06 PM EDT
[#24]
My takeaway here is a thought on Wyoming. It’s a massive state with little to no healthcare facilities, let alone trauma centers. How far was he from civilization/how long did it take him to get to a hospital?

I used to work in Wyoming. A coworker crushed his hand and I was the “ambulance” driver on that job. It took 1 hour of me doing nearly 100mph (once I got on paved roads) in a pickup to get him to the nearest hospital.

There was another incident that resulted in a fatality and I wonder if medical facilities were closer, would he have survived.

Having something go wrong on a job site always worried me in the back of my head, especially when the safety huddle norm was “call lifeflight”.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I might be on 1200 cc's, but I ain't in a hurry.

And I wear a full helmet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
LESSON

View Quote

That really sucks, but this part is a myth. What you think is eye contact could just as likely be him looking right through you.

I don't really ride anymore with all the idiots and people with their noses in the cell phones on the road these days, but when I did or rarely still do I always assume no one sees me and I better have an escape route at all times.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 10:59:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:02:30 PM EDT
[#28]
One of the primary reasons I never got involved in riding motorcycles is because you have to drive them in a manner that anticipates every form of human stupidity and road hazard and not allow yourself to be in the position where any of that can bite you.

You need to be 10 moves ahead of everyone else and you can't miss anything. Normal driving is exhausting enough.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:05:02 PM EDT
[#29]
What happened to the trucker?

I assume he's at fault for not looking before passing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I switched from road to dirt / dual sport after my kid was born.

Good on you guys who still have the nerve for it, stay safe out there
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yea, this right here.

If I'm passing I'm gonna be on the brakes back in the lane before the other vehicle realizes it's got a clear oncoming.

Passing more than one vehicle had better be done at maximum effort.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I feel for the guy, but if he'd been closer to the speed limit maybe he could have slowed down and aborted the pass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Passing at the speed limit is usually a great way to spend a shitload of time in the oncoming lane.

It's legal here to speed when passing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

The trucker pulled off for a min and then drove off.  

In the shock and chaos nobody thought to even track it down or ID it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:39:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck.

Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I rarely pass anyone.  What scares me the most is farmers pulling equipment with tractors.

They are very slow, and make unexpected turns.  More than once I've though to myself I should pass this tractor, only to have them turn left at the next farm lane.

I turn off and take a different route anymore.

Sorry for your Dad's friend.  Hope he makes a full recovery.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:57:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NAFTA Swift driver didn't want to have to deal with the law.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:58:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yea Im confused a semi truck couldn't get over fast enough to hit me either speeding up or slowing down on any legit sport bike especially on a 2 lane rd.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:44:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Sorry for your dad's buddy, but he earned it. Truck had first dibs on a pass and he tried to cut in line.
In some places, unless contact was made, the truck wasn't involved.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:51:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sorry for your dad's buddy, but he earned it. Truck had first dibs on a pass and he tried to cut in line.
In some places, unless contact was made, the truck wasn't involved.
View Quote

There's a reason why passing more than one vehicle at a time is against the law in many states. Exactly for this scenario.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:53:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Glad your dad's friend is going to be ok.  I just lost a really close friend to a motorcycle accident last week.  He was on a 2 lane road and a older lady in an suv pulled out infront of him.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:55:00 AM EDT
[#42]
I still do not understand the logic of even discussing seat belts as long as you can sit on top of an engine and go zero to a thousand in seconds.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 12:55:08 AM EDT
[#43]
I saw a guy on a sports bike hit the back side of a civic at probably 120. Guy went through both rear doors and splatted on the street.  It was grizzly driving past that one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 1:12:51 AM EDT
[#44]
I just started riding last year at 57. You guys are making me nervous.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 1:13:03 AM EDT
[#45]
I have buddies in emergency services. The amount of motorcycle crashes is unbelievably staggering once warm weather hits and unlike car crashes with safety features, its usually nothing, road rash or worst case everything, worst case scenarios where the helicopter has to come in. These guys spend all summer buzzing around picking up splattered riders

One of the worse this summer, a guy barely clinging to life, smashed into a car, almost ripped his leg off, a tourniquet saved him, then had a colostomy bag that was ripped off and pulled half his intestine out into the open. High speeds combined with not 110% situational awareness. Like above poster said, its exhausting to ride and be 10 steps ahead, and when you're doing high speeds, you need to be 20 steps ahead

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 1:30:11 AM EDT
[#46]
reason #2565746327 i will never ride a motorcycle
that crash will be with your dads friend for life. he will always hurt even once everything heals.
all the power to those who choose to ride but you couldn't pay me to do that
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 1:40:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Semis don't always "lumber over".  Some drivers whip over into the other lane.
No matter how quick your bike is, if you're abeam of that semi when it moves over, there's nothing you can do except to head for the shoulder and try to keep the bike under control. I just imagined riding in this scenario on my old GSXR, and it didn't work out well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 1:42:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

No matter how quick your bike is, if you're abeam of that semi when it moves over, there's nothing you can do except to head for the shoulder and try to keep the bike under control. I just imagined riding in this scenario on my old GSXR, and it didn't work out well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another person who hasn't ridden a bike in anger.

Where do they find you people anyway?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 3:28:28 AM EDT
[#49]
The best advice: If you don't have bumpers and air bags - its YOUR job to stay out of the way, and you NEVER have the right of way.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

compound fracture tibia
broken pelvis
4 broken ribs
7 cracked vertebrae
brokem wrist

LESSON

View Quote

I think the lesson is to make really and i mean really good decisions on bikes. I rode for a long time and loved it. Being extremely patient is a key to survival. I prefer lots of steel around myself these days. Be careful out there . Op i hope your Dads friend heals ok .
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top