Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2021 2:59:46 PM EDT
She's a long haired Norwegian Forest Cat. I brush her at least once a day, and feed her some hair ball lubricant medicine every morning.

Lately she's been barfing hair balls, from itty bitty ones to mouse-sized krakens, even though I'm giving her the medicine.

Feeding sched: a quarter tuna can of soft meat with the medicine*, then a handful of kibbles. Only kibbles every night.

I'm wondering if I should feed her just the soft food? She just started this crap a few weeks ago.
*sort of dark amber stuff, like thick honey.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Is she drinking water?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#2]
How long has she been on the hairball meds?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Age?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is she drinking water?
View Quote

There's a big bowl available for all the cats, away from their food. It has some calming medicine in it, as this cat is an enemy of all the others.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How long has she been on the hairball meds?
View Quote

2-3 months now. Before that I was giving it to her twice a week.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Age?
View Quote

8? She was a foundling, somewhat feral, when she adopted us.

eta

She is fixed.

She was about 1 1/2 years old when we found her, that was just before we got married 7 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

2-3 months now. Before that I was giving it to her twice a week.
View Quote

Perhaps try dialing back on the meds and see what happens?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:24:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Perhaps try dialing back on the meds and see what happens?
View Quote

I will try that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Serious solution: Shave it.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:There's a big bowl available for all the cats
View Quote

My cat has a bowl, too. But she doesn't drink from it. She prefers the bathroom sink and any water glasses left lying around
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Evaluate for food allergies. A lot of cats develop fish allergies.  It's very hard to find cat food with no fish product at all.  PM me if you want to explore this.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Aside from hairballs, try to do things like separate quiet and secure feeding area.  Rest and relaxation after eating (feed, then lap time alone with no other cats).

Some cats get spun up and puke over stress or other stimulus in the home, and the hairballs may have been the "going to go out the back way" variety but since puking happened they come up the front. I.e. they may be incidental and just due to the puking for other reasons.

I always had good luck with the food with soy lectins in it, like the Purina Indoor (green bag) kibble. That keeps the proteins that make hairballs sticky from forming around the hair and it comes out the back a little bit every day.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#13]
My cats a puker. I feed her small amounts at a time and no more puking. She just eats too fast. Try that. Also in before the shave your cat post shows up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

My cat has a bowl, too. But she doesn't drink from it. She prefers the bathroom sink and any water glasses left lying around
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:There's a big bowl available for all the cats

Sounds like one of our cats.. If the water has Whiskey in it,,,, that's an added bonus.. Darned cat loves the Jameson..
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#15]
When one of our cats, long-haired mutt, started barfing regularly, we just assumed it was furr balls.  It was cancer.

Just an FYI.  A trip to the vet might not be a bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:14:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Shaving is out of the question. She was almost feral when she adopted us, and still has quite a temper... she'll be perfectly contented at night sitting on my lap or shoulder, then gets grumpy, so I have to put her down on the floor.

It's for this reason that she is isolated at night. She doesn't get along with any of hte other cats, and even started getting possessive of my wife's pillow! I put her in my office and feed her there. It's possible that she may not be getting watered at night, which User55645 suggested may be a contributing factor.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Had the same thing with my cat. Turned out to be a chicken byproduct allergy. He can eat raw chicken just fine but byproduct is no go.
Switched to raw/ venison or fish diet and he’s like a new cat. He’s 14 years old.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Shaving is out of the question. She was almost feral when she adopted us, and still has quite a temper... she'll be perfectly contented at night sitting on my lap or shoulder, then gets grumpy, so I have to put her down on the floor.

It's for this reason that she is isolated at night. She doesn't get along with any of hte other cats, and even started getting possessive of my wife's pillow! I put her in my office and feed her there. It's possible that she may not be getting watered at night, which User55645 suggested may be a contributing factor.
View Quote

Cat's doing fine now, we're not confining her so closely. And she's got fresh water every night! They prefer fresh water, and this one especially will die of dehydration instead of drinking water from yesterday.

It's also spring, and she's blowing her coat BIG TIME. I brush her 2x/day now and that has the hairballs under control.

She also gets hairball medication 2x per week.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top