User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine is steady. Usually 5-6 nights a week. Been limiting myself to 4 drinks.
View Quote
I also am limiting myself but it is to 4 drinks per week (mostly).
I found that retirement upped my intake in that weekdays are the same as weekends now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yeah, it used to be that I would rarely have a drink.  3-4 nights a month maybe.  Now I start with an Old Fashioned or Martini when I get home,  drink most of a bottle of wine with dinner, have a bourbon or scotch before bed and wake up without a hangover.  If I back off on that at all, I have difficulty sleeping.  I don't like that this has become a crutch.  
View Quote

1 week of only having 2-3 a night (no cheating, you need to ween yourself off that shit) and your sleep will adjust. The sleep trouble is very temporary if you stick to it. That’s your body and mind adjusting to not needing it for sleep. It’s very normal, the sleep trouble.

I promise you’ll feel much, much, much better once you don’t consume so much and even sleep much better. I’m an alchoholic, I’m not saying you gotta go straight sober. But the sleep troubles are normal when you cut back or cut it off.  If you can get to only 2-3 drinks per night, best if not right before bed, your body and mind will adjust. Just takes a little time.

If you go back to the heavy drinking then your sleep dependence on it starts all over.  It’s fucking cunning, alchohol.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]
16 months sober here :). I will say I do dip into some craft non alcoholic beer though. Market is exploding with non alcoholic options now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#4]
mine was getting pretty high. then I figured if something stepped off I'd do well to be clear of mind when it did. I am modulating my consumption to two ounces of single malt or perhaps three per night and then only 4 nights a week.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I've gone from 1 beer to 2-3 rum and coke per.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Substance use has gone way up over the past year. Lots of peeps got carried away day drinking during quarantine.

Responsible use doesn't mean never getting fucked up, it means controlling it and not letting your chemical of choice control you.

I've been drunk AF a ton of times so I'm not trying to sound high and mighty at all, but if you stop when you first feel a good buzz you'll still be feeling it for a while. That's how I enjoy drinking, I'm sure it's probably the same for other substances.

If someone can't handle not getting obliterated I really think quitting is probably the best course.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]
My consumption picked up when my wife hit menopause.  A few years ago it was one drink (a super double)6 nights a week. Now that 1/2 a decade has gone by and she's easier to live with I'm reducing my intake somewhat to just one normal-ish drink 3-5 nights. a week
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't drink at all.  For years I looked for answers in the bottle but only ever saw the glass at the bottom with nothing there.  Just glass.  No wisdom.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Dude, I was sober three years before the inauguration and a bunch of other shit went down..
Up until a week and a half ago I was on the worst bender of my life.
Don’t let it get out of control.
View Quote

Yeah benders are a bitch. Just stop.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#10]
First the man takes a drink,

Then the drink takes a drink,

Then the drink takes the man...

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't let chemicals control you.  

If you NEED a drink they control you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Substance use has gone way up over the past year. Lots of peeps got carried away day drinking during quarantine.

Responsible use doesn't mean never getting fucked up, it means controlling it and not letting your chemical of choice control you.

I've been drunk AF a ton of times so I'm not trying to sound high and mighty at all, but if you stop when you first feel a good buzz you'll still be feeling it for a while. That's how I enjoy drinking, I'm sure it's probably the same for other substances.

If someone can't handle not getting obliterated I really think quitting is probably the best course.
View Quote

Well it’s not called substance abuse if you don’t abuse it. Most people can use alcohol and not abuse it.

10% of the population are alcoholics and abuse the shit out of it. It’s a dark secret nobody talks about.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:19:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well it’s not called substance abuse if you don’t abuse it. Most people can use alcohol and not abuse it.

10% of the population are alcoholics and abuse the shit out of it. It’s a dark secret nobody talks about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never said substance abuse.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I drank nearly daily in 2020 starting about March.  As of the 4th this month, I've limited myself to drinking only on Sunday, correcting my diet, and frequenting the gym I did in years prior to 2020.  Going well so far for 2 weeks.  Lost 4 lbs, feel better, and generally more pleasant each day especially for my little guys.  Time will tell for 2021 but 2020 was a rough fucking year.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right. I was trying to say there’s a difference between use and abuse. I personally know all about alcohol abuse, it sure as fuck abused me as well.  I’m the battered wife (Analogy) that just coming back for more abuse no mater how much it hurt. That bottle made me feel better!  It loves me!
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I read every response.  I like to think I gleaned something from almost every one.

I believe I'm in a spot where I can catch myself before I have a problem that I can't manage.

I start today.  Drinking a can of diet 7-UP now and will get back to drinking water.

I want to thank everyone who took time to post helpful thoughts and ideas.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I read every response.  I like to think I gleaned something from almost every one.

I believe I'm in a spot where I can catch myself before I have a problem that I can't manage.

I start today.  Drinking a can of diet 7-UP now and will get back to drinking water.

I want to thank everyone who took time to post helpful thoughts and ideas.
View Quote

You’re on the right path. Finding a replacement beverage helps the habitiual/routine nature. Mine was/is ginger ale, sprite. Make sure it’s not your normal mixer. Sleep will be rough for a week, maybe more. there will be sweating and restless sleep waking up every hour or two and awake for 1-2 hours.

It just takes time for body and mind to adjust.  Get plenty of sleep, that’s your mind healing itself and adjusting.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:21:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Drinker here.

You do have to self regulate. The booze can sneak up on your and fuck up a lot of things. Ive had inklings, and ive seen it enough times.

Having a wee bit of insight, talking openly about it - and just being an adult - these will help to get you on top. You can still drink, you just have to not be an idiot. Take a week off. Try a month. Keep the drinking to 2 a night ect.....

You can be a drinker and not be a fuckwit.
View Quote

And if you’ve tried moderating and failed, then maybe the only way for you to not be a fuckwit is to never touch booze again.

Think of it like an allergy. Some people just can’t do booze, not even a little. And that’s just fine. Tee Totaling has a lot of advantages.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:33:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Had a seizure on the 30th when I tried going cold turkey. I was put chlordiazepox...  Good stuff. get some if you are having problems
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:19:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Right. I was trying to say there’s a difference between use and abuse. I personally know all about alcohol abuse, it sure as fuck abused me as well.  I’m the battered wife (Analogy) that just coming back for more abuse no mater how much it hurt. That bottle made me feel better!  It loves me!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahh, right on. I've seen many great and strong men go down the same path.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:23:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Nope. Mines been about how it always is. 1 or 2 drinks maybe 3 times a week.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:48:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Read the cure for alcoholism
How I overcame alcoholism | Claudia Christian | TEDxLondonBusinessSchool

Gotta do the mindfulness and actually work towards quitting but you can quit drinking and still drink.

The sinclair method focuses on taking an opiate blocker an hour before you drink. No feel good chemicals to the brain from drinking, you still get drunk. So your brain just stops craving the alcohol.

I didn't even finish my first bottle. Side effects kinda sucked at first and didn't fully go away but I just used that as motivation to quit faster. Some people take longer obviously.

Great TSM groups out there on evil big tech. Or c3foundation.org
Alcohol tracking app alcodroid or c3 has one.

Haven't had more than an occasional taste since March.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:14:28 AM EDT
[#25]
If you can't cut back you've got a problem and you won't be able to cut back without help. Therapy or AA, AA has the best track record. Denial is a real thing and that's what it is if you find reasons not to seek help.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

And if you’ve tried moderating and failed, then maybe the only way for you to not be a fuckwit is to never touch booze again.

Think of it like an allergy. Some people just can’t do booze, not even a little. And that’s just fine. Tee Totaling has a lot of advantages.
View Quote

Yep, I am one of those that am better off without it.  I quit many years ago, thought that I could have just one.   Took me many years after that to get back to none at all.   Going on 8 years with out it.   Wonderful thing is.  I can have friends over, pour one for them, and have absolutely no desire for one myself.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
With family problems, work stress and America's current situation I find I need to be sedated nightly.
I keep telling myself I need to reign it in, but tommorow night is a good time to stop.

Surely I'm not alone, am I ?
View Quote

This isn't going to sound very supportive, and let me apologize up front for my insensitivity.  The truth is, there is no time to pussyfoot around on this issue like we're so accustomed to doing:

Knock it the fuck off right now while you still can.  If going cold turkey would give you physical withdrawal, have your wife (or something) ration you out a decreasing amount per day to sip, until you can cut it out.

I've always been a fan of drinking in moderation, but you're at the problem point where the solution is, "Throw it all out as soon as you can without physically dying, and don't buy any more for two years."  Temporarily substitute some root beer or ginger beer or something temporarily to accommodate your habit of sipping beverages, and indulge in some reading or TV series for some less damaging escapism.  I find that compelling stories tend to engage/hijack my fight or flight response in a less stressful way than real life, and it's useful for downtime.  Lean on God if you can.

Everybody needs downtime and comfort to stay sane, but none of us have the luxury of checking out and destroying ourselves with physically addictive intoxicating substances right now.  We're about to be tested like perhaps no generation has ever been tested before in the history of mankind, and right now we are woefully lacking.  Don't beat yourself up for past choices (which leads to dejection/despair/apathy and continued abuse), but start brutally holding yourself to better decisions "Immediately" instead of "Tomorrow."

Your family needs you on your A-game.  Your country needs you on your A-game.  Man up, right now.  No excuses.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:25:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

1 week of only having 2-3 a night (no cheating, you need to ween yourself off that shit) and your sleep will adjust. The sleep trouble is very temporary if you stick to it. That’s your body and mind adjusting to not needing it for sleep. It’s very normal, the sleep trouble.

I promise you’ll feel much, much, much better once you don’t consume so much and even sleep much better. I’m an alchoholic, I’m not saying you gotta go straight sober. But the sleep troubles are normal when you cut back or cut it off.  If you can get to only 2-3 drinks per night, best if not right before bed, your body and mind will adjust. Just takes a little time.

If you go back to the heavy drinking then your sleep dependence on it starts all over.  It’s fucking cunning, alchohol.
View Quote

this. since working from home due to covid, I would drink several nights during the week. I'm doing dry January and sleep has vastly improved. no more waking up in the middle of the night or staying awake in bed til 12 trying to fall asleep.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Jan 20 is going to be a drinking day.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#30]
When the covid lockdown happened, my wife and I sorta had a long vacation. Neither of us are drunks, but we were having way to much fun staying up late and sleeping in. Eventually I noticed that a fifth of bourbon that would last me 1-2 months was only lasting a week.

I cut that shit out quickly. In fact, Saturday someone gave me a fifth as a gift....I gave it away.  I suppose I am lucky....4 drinks will make me feel like shit the next day. I hate that feeling.

I know plenty of guys who can drink their ass off and function well....I'm glad I can't.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:03:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Turn off the news and find something enjoyable to do.

If you can't find joy in something you used to, try to do something for someone else (a chore or project for a neighbor who can't do for themselves). Being useful will make you feel better.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Turn off the news and find something enjoyable to do.

If you can't find joy in something you used to, try to do something for someone else (a chore or project for a neighbor who can't do for themselves). Being useful will make you feel better.
View Quote

News, Job, Covid, who is president, state of the country, are all really bullshit excuses to reward oneself or justify drinking. Those can't be the real cause, the weak assed "I deserve this" or self pitty self rewarding mindset is the problem. It's the same reason so many are fat.
You do something good or have a bad day or dealt with a problem or accomplished a goal and you think you earned a reward for it.

If one entertains the idea of having only 2 drinks a night then you better make zero drinks. Only 2 a night isn't some grand accomplishment. A dry month? No how about no drinking until your vacation or some special event. And then don't reward yourself, you don't deserve a reward for bullshit everyone manages to accomplish. You sure as hell don't deserve a reward for not drinking for a month or 6 months or 6 years.

Just like fatties "oh I made it all week going to the gym everyday and eating right, I earned a cheat day" no you didn't fatty, you made it a week, now make it 2 weeks, then a month, no cheat days ever until you no longer desire a cheat day.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Try red Kratom at night.  They sell it at many convenience stores CBD, and head shops.  There are 3 varieties, identified by color, red is better at night.  Green is most common but might interfere with sleep as it gives a slight energy boost.  You can control the amount of stress you let into your life.  Stay away from political news and commentary for 2 weeks and see how that goes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You could try cbd or kratom instead?
View Quote

Does any of that actually work?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
With family problems, work stress and America's current situation I find I need to be sedated nightly.
I keep telling myself I need to reign it in, but tommorow night is a good time to stop.

View Quote

OP, I'm with you.  I drink pretty much every night. Not to the point of passing out, or slurring my speech, or having a problem functioning......but I'll have 3-5 drinks a night. Maybe 2 glasses of wine with dinner, a beer, and a glass of whisky.  When I start feeling pretty buzzed, I stop.

I know it's not good for me....I've put on 10lbs since this whole Corona Virus thing took off over a year ago, and before that I hadn't gained a pound in 10yrs.

I'm working on dialing it back down now.....but after a rough day at work, coming home to a few drinks sure makes me feel much better.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

OP, I'm with you.  I drink pretty much every night. Not to the point of passing out, or slurring my speech, or having a problem functioning......but I'll have 3-5 drinks a night. Maybe 2 glasses of wine with dinner, a beer, and a glass of whisky.  When I start feeling pretty buzzed, I stop.

I know it's not good for me....I've put on 10lbs since this whole Corona Virus thing took off over a year ago, and before that I hadn't gained a pound in 10yrs.

I'm working on dialing it back down now.....but after a rough day at work, coming home to a few drinks sure makes me feel much better.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You look forward to it, don’t ya?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Drinker here.

You do have to self regulate. The booze can sneak up on your and fuck up a lot of things. Ive had inklings, and ive seen it enough times.

Having a wee bit of insight, talking openly about it - and just being an adult - these will help to get you on top. You can still drink, you just have to not be an idiot. Take a week off. Try a month. Keep the drinking to 2 a night ect.....

You can be a drinker and not be a fuckwit.

The founder of AA described and thought it was a physical allergy. Way before much was understood about alcoholism. He was t far off at all. If you’re having trouble with drinking too much pick up a copy of the AA book, it explain it all

They have now identified the gene that causes it. Which again proves why it’s hereditary. It’s basically the way the brain responds to alchohol. The alchoholic brain is actually different.  Non alchoholics can’t understand “why can’t you just have one or two?”  Because the brain screams and craves MORE!  MORE!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:17:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Does any of that actually work?
View Quote

Try it and see.

I never took CBD but yes, kratom does work. It's not overwhelming and it's definitely not as strong of a mood booster as say, phenibut, but it does help and it's cheap and it's a lot cleaner than alcohol.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You look forward to it, don’t ya?
View Quote

Yes.....I do. On the drive home from work I start thinking about that first glass of wine, or cracking open a beer.  

The rational part of me knows it's not healthy to pound down 3-5 drinks a night.  The other part of me knows that it sure seems to make me feel better after a hard day at work.  I drink until I feel a pretty heavy buzz, and then I stop and drink water or tea the rest of the night.  

I'm trying to ween myself off of it. It's mostly just a bad habit. I can go hiking/camping for the weekend, not have a single drink, and be fine.  

I need to just get out of that habit.....
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The founder of AA described and thought it was a physical allergy. Way before much was understood about alcoholism. He was t far off at all. If you're having trouble with drinking too much pick up a copy of the AA book, it explain it all

They have now identified the gene that causes it. Which again proves why it's hereditary. It's basically the way the brain responds to alchohol. The alchoholic brain is actually different.  Non alchoholics can't understand "why can't you just have one or two?"  Because the brain screams and craves MORE!  MORE!
View Quote
It appears to work the same with with opioids too from people I have chatted with in the know. They have no real effect on my mother and she never bothered to get the opioid prescriptions filled after major surgeries because it would have been a waste of money. Five years ago I had to take a few oxycodone pills that I got from a family member, who had a prescription, after I had such severe abdominal muscle pain from an injury that I would have drunk bleach just to make the pain go away. At that point I did not care about the legal issues or other possible effects. I just wanted to muscle pain to go away because it was making me shocky. They did make the pain tolerable but I never felt anything that made me want to keep taking them. After the 5th half-pill over two days, I had severe muscle spasm in the injured muscle as the pill wore off and I also simultaneously started itching all over. I said eff that and I gave the remaining pills back. By then ibuprofen was sufficient to dull the pain.  I had a doctors appointment a few days later and I let him know just for his information that I had taken some unprescribed narcotic pain killers because I was in such bad shape.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top