Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2019 10:47:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#1]
You can start with goblet squats and work up, but I'd recommend a lightweight (20 lb, I think) bar from Rogue, that's what my wife and daughters use until they work up to the 45 lb bar.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#3]
A woman's bar is 25mm and 15kg (33lbs), the smaller diameter might be appreciated.

The dumbbell example would work, but get to the barbell as quickly as possible.  Reason being the loading, unless you have a variety of DB's, you'll need to program reps and volume to stimulate adaptation.

I would also program slightly more for her, add in a complex or circuit after the strength work.  Woman can handle more volume, but it's more for a psychological effect of a "good workout," as well as the recovery aspect.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Pricy buy nice
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I second the lighter bar.

It might be worth considering a 5x3 sets/reps scheme, or at least transitioning to 5x3 fairly early, for her. Might help prolong progress before plateauing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#6]
You can also try the big resistance bands tie them to the rack and bar and it will take some of the weight off the bar, probably not ideal though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I made a rehab bar out of pipe for like 20 bucks that is maybe 10 lbs empty.

Just a piece of 1" OD black iron pipe, with a double female adapter on each end up to 2", then two 2" nipples for ends.

Plates are little floppy on it, but it works fine. I started my sister with it when she was working out before she got pregnant. One you can get 40 lbs on the bar just move to an empty full sized bar.

They also make women's bars that I think are 35 lbs, but I'm sure they are more expensive.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#8]
You could probably find a cheap standard bar on craigslist.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Rogue makes good bars. Get one you won't be disappointed in it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#10]
As others said, get a light weight bar so she can work on form.

Just make sure it fits in your rack/pins.

Ex on 15lb bar:

Amazon Product
  • 150 Lbs. Capacity
  • Solid Aluminum
  • Weighs Only 15 Lbs.

Link Posted: 3/12/2019 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Curl Bar is about 22 pounds ?
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I started my son using a curl bar. It’s one of the longer, rackable ones. Then we found him a light junior or women’s oly bar on CL.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a rogue junior for my daughter.  It's a nice real bar that can actually hold weight as opposed to the aluminum ones.

Link
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I was curious about this as well. I've love to get my wife to do some weight training. I think she'd enjoy it. But she is 4'-10" and has super small hands. I remember taking her in the free weight room at the gym years ago and she couldn't even bench press the bare bar.
I didn't know they even made the super light weight bars like that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Just use a broom stick or section of pipe.  Most early gains are neuromuscular (brain and muscle response learning how to do the lift) not really muscle exertion "strength" gains.  Resistance bands on the ends of the bar can also provide a little feedback if the stick/pipe is too light.

Another suggestion is to fit a section of PVC pipe with threaded ends and wrap with athletic tape in grip areas.  Add sand for weight as the lifter gets the hang of the lifts.  Again, the weight of the sand is just for feedback, not to drive actual strength gains, so it is the feel, not the weight that is the important thing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What are the pros/cons of doing dumbbell work until being able to start with the bar?
View Quote
Not being used to how to correctly set up for the bar.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
but what if you can't press the bar itself?
View Quote
Use some light dumbbells.  Grab some cheap ones from Walmart.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have some questions for you guys and figured I would re-use this thread.

For the record, this is the first time my wife or I have worked with weights in over 15 years. Be gentle.

First, is there a better way to warm up my knees for squats aside from lower weight squats? My weight is not that high, but my knees take about 2-3 sets before they feel limber and loose. My last two sets are the easiest of the group. Trying to loosen it up with just the bar or some small plates doesn't help much.

Second, the weight on my bench press is not taxing me, but I find the center of the bar moves side to side more than I'd like. Do I need a lower bench/seat to get better footing? Or is that just a weakness thing that will go away? I try for slow down/slow up, but find if I go a little faster it's more stable.

Lastly, I am not sure if my back, knees or hands will give out first doing deadlifts, but I suspect it's my hands. Suggestions?

Oh, one more - is overhead press the worst for everyone starting out? I feel so fucking weak on that one.
View Quote
1. I usually just do squats to warm up, but in x-fit we will typically do some things like body weight lunges, row machine, really light jog, crab walk, etc..  Really any body weight movement that will get you to use your legs....
2. Is your bench a fixed bench or an adjustable incline thing.  The best bench for benching is just a basic bench.  titan makes a couple choices.  Make sure you squeezing your shoulder blades together when you bench.  Your stability will come from your shoulder blades being flat on the bench.
3. Usually hands...??  Just start doing the hook grip now so you are used to it.  It will hurt for a few times, but then it will be second nature.
4. OHP is very difficult.  If you ever get to the point where you can OHP 2 plates for a set, feel good about yourself because that is pretty elite.  You should feel good about yourself when you get to 1 plate honestly.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Get knee sleeves.

Make sure you are benching right.

Ohp is always the weakest.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah knee sleeves are a life saver for me. Try different warmup movements and stretches and foam rolling techniques until you find something that works for you.

For deadlifts, hook grip or straps. Hook grip is more pure obviously but straps are a good option if you aren't going to compete.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 2:35:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Second knee sleeves. SBD is niiice.

Post vid of bench. Without vid, I imagine you aren’t tight enough. Specifically your upper back.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#26]
For the deadlift and bent over rows I like using Versa-grips instead of straps. They're a bit less fussy to use and they make lifting with hand arthritis much less painful.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
LOL.  Compete?  I'm a 50 year old office worker with 2 pre-teen kids.  I'm doing strength training for my health and longevity - no interest in competition and nothing to prove.

I'm pretty sure you're right.  The bench is not really wide and not super stable (I can see why it was free with the rack).  I probably need to buy a better quality bench.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah knee sleeves are a life saver for me. Try different warmup movements and stretches and foam rolling techniques until you find something that works for you.

For deadlifts, hook grip or straps. Hook grip is more pure obviously but straps are a good option if you aren't going to compete.
LOL.  Compete?  I'm a 50 year old office worker with 2 pre-teen kids.  I'm doing strength training for my health and longevity - no interest in competition and nothing to prove.

Quoted:

Post vid of bench. Without vid, I imagine you aren’t tight enough. Specifically your upper back.
I'm pretty sure you're right.  The bench is not really wide and not super stable (I can see why it was free with the rack).  I probably need to buy a better quality bench.
Regulation benches are only around 12” wide. You get tight by pinching your shoulder blades together and getting up on your upper back by arching your back and driving with your legs.

If you’re having trouble pinching your shoulders together, hold your arms straight out to the side. Have your wife put her fingers on your spine between your shoulder blades and try to pinch them with your shoulder blades. Learn how that feels and replicate it on the bench.

Too much padding is bad too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Regulation benches are only around 12” wide. You get tight by pinching your shoulder blades together and getting up on your upper back by arching your back and driving with your legs.

If you’re having trouble pinching your shoulders together, hold your arms straight out to the side. Have your wife put her fingers on your spine between your shoulder blades and try to pinch them with your shoulder blades. Learn how that feels and replicate it on the bench.

View Quote
Correct.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 10:06:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Great feedback!  I think my next bench day is Monday, so I'll try to focus on that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Great feedback!  I think my next bench day is Monday, so I'll try to focus on that.
bench cue to help maintain back tightness:

"pull the bar apart"
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well, I will have to figure this out another day.  Warming up Saturday, I was doing some basic squats just holding a single (45) plate.  On the second time down, I felt a little pain in my left knee instead of the usual popping and cracking I usually get. On the third time down, agonizing pain, like something stretching that wasn't designed to stretch.

I haven't been able to work out since, although I suppose I could do bench-only exercises.  Lying, standing and walking are all generally fine with a little stiffness and pain on occasion, but anything that requires me to push with the muscle in my knee hurts like hell.  Pressing above, below or to the side of my knee doesn't produce any pain - as if it is behind the knee cap.

Applying heat helps and I felt better Sunday, so I tried just squatting down with my body weight.  First time was a 4/10, second time was a 7/10 on the pain scale.  Scheduled to see the orthopedist on Thurs.
View Quote
How far do your knees track over your toes when squatting: a lot or a little?

How far do you shove your knees out when squatting: a lot or a little?

Obviously get healed up, but you probably need to review your squat form when you return so you stay out of your knees.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Well, I will have to figure this out another day.  Warming up Saturday, I was doing some basic squats just holding a single (45) plate.  On the second time down, I felt a little pain in my left knee instead of the usual popping and cracking I usually get. On the third time down, agonizing pain, like something stretching that wasn't designed to stretch.

I haven't been able to work out since, although I suppose I could do bench-only exercises.  Lying, standing and walking are all generally fine with a little stiffness and pain on occasion, but anything that requires me to push with the muscle in my knee hurts like hell.  Pressing above, below or to the side of my knee doesn't produce any pain - as if it is behind the knee cap.

Applying heat helps and I felt better Sunday, so I tried just squatting down with my body weight.  First time was a 4/10, second time was a 7/10 on the pain scale.  Scheduled to see the orthopedist on Thurs.
View Quote
Sounds like my recent medial meniscus issue
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#36]
The only significant pain I had was at 90ish degrees flexion and while trying to extend out of that flexion ie coming out of the bottom of a squat

I can deadlift and power clean without pain
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

When doing actual squats, my knees don’t pass my toes. I focus on getting my ass back and out and keeping my heels down. When warming up, I wasn’t doing actual squats with the bar, just squatting down like you would to rest on your heels - something I’ve done a million times, though not with any extra weight.

Reading on WebMD, it doesn’t sound like a tear. No swelling, little-to-no pain doing anything except putting weight on the knee while bent.

Hopping on one leg feels fine, as does walking, bending my knee with no weight or flexing it completely - heel to ass feels fine if I’m sitting.

Standing up from a chair is a little sore; pushing my parking brake hurts a little; standing from squatting or climbing up from my knees hurts most.
View Quote
What shoes are you using to squat?

The weight should be over the center of your foot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I usually work out in my bare feet.

Knees behind toes, bar over the center of my foot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What shoes are you using to squat?

The weight should be over the center of your foot.

high bar or low bar?

knees coming forward is fine with low bar, as long as they do so in the first third of your descent

TUBOW for this
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
You don't have to keep your knees behind your toes. It's more about tracking your knees towards your toes.

I.E.  if your toes are pointed out your knee should move towards your toes. It can go past them. You want to keep your bar path in a strait line though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 3:57:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
When you're done working out in your bare feet do you take them off?
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Context.  But I usually just tell people English is my second language.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top