Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2022 6:00:49 PM EDT
At my folks house going through my childhood stash of 80's R/C cars.  I sent pictures to the guy at the local hobby store and he offered $300 for the lot.  I told him not a chance.  
Top row: BoLink Invader 10th Scale, Tamiya Porsche 956
Middle Row: Tamiya Big Wig 4WD, Yokomo RPS 4WD, Tamiya Road Wizard, Team Associated 12L
Bottom Row: Kyosho Ultima 1/10th, Tamiya Frog, Tamiya Grasshopper, BoLink Eliminator 12

Link Posted: 3/8/2022 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#1]
How many of those batteries still hold a charge?
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn…..the frog.  I wanted one so bad when I was younger
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Neat!

I recognize a few of those, especially The Frog and The Grasshopper,
as my friend and neighbor from middle school had them.

Link Posted: 3/8/2022 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice stash, Grasshopper.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many of those batteries still hold a charge?
View Quote

Doubtful any do.  Some are from 1986.

Link Posted: 3/8/2022 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I still have my hornet.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I was just thinking of giving away / to the dumpin' my state of the art 1987 cars.  I have a highly modified RC10 and a Kyosho Optima 4wd.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Still have my Frog.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was just thinking of giving away / to the dumpin' my state of the art 1987 cars.  I have a highly modified RC10 and a Kyosho Optima 4wd.
View Quote

Post some pictures plenty of people will buy it from you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Crystal radios make me feel old.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:42:06 AM EDT
[#11]
@AR15Texan

How much you want for the Road Wizard?
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Crystal radios make me feel old.
View Quote

I remember being the big man on campus because I had nearly an entire crystal set for both air and surface. Used to lend them out so we could all drive and fly together.

Seeing the Novak decals make me sad. What a great company with great products.

The Super Rooster was a beast in its day.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a Frog. Had a bunch of mods on it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#14]
What, no Super Champ?
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@AR15Texan

How much you want for the Road Wizard?
View Quote

I'm trying to sell the whole lot with the exception of the Yokomo RPS.  The Road Wizard in the pictures is just a rolling chassis, but there is enough spare radio gear and ESC to equip it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I tossed my “needs work” Frog 4 years ago because I’m an idiot.

Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What, no Super Champ?
View Quote

Ha, no way, I always wanted a Team Associated RC10. A Super Champ is cool now but back then the RC10 was the top buggy to own.  In the end I bought neither and instead I saved my money for that Yokomo RPS 4WD buggy.  It was winning all championships.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Had a Tamiya XR311 that was way fragile and was nearly impossible for a pre-teen to control , plastic torsion bars broke easily and the body was basically a glue together plastic model quality but thicker

Finally replaced with a Kyosho Scorpion- wanted a Sand scorcher / Frog type with the waterproof electronics tub, etc

Only thing I didn’t like about the scorpion was trying to understand the oil filled shocks.

My radio was a sweet looking “aertronics” brushed aluminum job with replaceable crystals and the throttle didn’t auto return by design, had trim on both sticks. I actually always had some trouble with it too. Haven’t seen any or any of these. Not sure who or where they went
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm trying to sell the whole lot with the exception of the Yokomo RPS.  The Road Wizard in the pictures is just a rolling chassis, but there is enough spare radio gear and ESC to equip it.
View Quote

Ahh gotcha. Glws. There are some real gems you have there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Got rid of my RC10 buggy, truck, and plate car back in the late 90s.

Sorra wish I still had them and sorta dont.

But that hobby shop guy...  might as well be the Simpsons comic book store guy trying to rip off an old woman before she sells old comics.   The episode bart gets banned from the shop I think.

Can literally hear the erection of hobby store guy growing right til he calms himself and says 300 dollars.

Guessing op has 3500-5000 in used goodies there easily.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I had an RC12L when I was a kid.

Later got an RC250 with a .21 nitro engine. Ofna super force.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Got rid of my RC10 buggy, truck, and plate car back in the late 90s.

Sorra wish I still had them and sorta dont.

But that hobby shop guy...  might as well be the Simpsons comic book store guy trying to rip off an old woman before she sells old comics.   The episode bart gets banned from the shop I think.

Can literally hear the erection of hobby store guy growing right til he calms himself and says 300 dollars.

Guessing op has 3500-5000 in used goodies there easily.
View Quote

Yep.  I told him I can see the prices of past auctions on eBay as well as the next guy.  I tallied up $3,450 for the lot.  

I have 13 aftermarket electric motors Tamiya Technigold, Technituned, TechniSport, Trinity Pure Gold, Trinity Monster, Trinity Sprint, Kyosho 240 and 480, Twister.  Those motors alone bring $100-$125 a piece.  The Road Wizard and Big Wig are $500+ each.  The BoLink Eliminator was not even completed and is very rare.  My Yokomo RPS is probably the rarest, $1,000+.

I told the guy my asking price this morning but haven't heard a peep.  He thought I was a sucker.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yep.  I told him I can see the prices of past auctions on eBay as well as the next guy.  I tallied up $3,450 for the lot.  

I have 13 aftermarket electric motors Tamiya Technigold, Technituned, TechniSport, Trinity Pure Gold, Trinity Monster, Trinity Sprint, Kyosho 240 and 480, Twisted.  Those motors alone bring $100-$125 a piece.  The Road Wizard and Big Wig are $500+ each.  The BoLink Eliminator was not even completed and is very rare.  My Yokomo RPS is probably the rarest, $1,000+.

I told the guy my asking price this morning but haven't heard a peep.  He thought I was a sucker.
View Quote

Honestly I'd say the LHS is a lost cause. I could link you to a couple FB groups that would have hardcore enthusiasts that are looking for vintage RC but it would be more work on your end to sell em.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:40:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Honestly I'd say the LHS is a lost cause. I could link you to a couple FB groups that would have hardcore enthusiasts that are looking for vintage RC but it would be more work on your end to sell em.
View Quote

Instagram as well
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 11:41:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 12:23:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 13 aftermarket electric motors Tamiya Technigold, Technituned, TechniSport, Trinity Pure Gold, Trinity Monster, Trinity Sprint, Kyosho 240 and 480, Twisted.  Those motors alone bring $100-$125 a piece.  The Road Wizard and Big Wig are $500+ each.  The BoLink Eliminator was not even completed and is very rare.  My Yokomo RPS is probably the rarest, $1,000+.

It all fits in two boxes.  It will all just go back in to storage and I can try again in 10-yrs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Tamiya Big Wig pictures, lots of spare parts, and Tamiya Technigold motor.

Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#28]
A coworker gave me an assembled, never been on dirt before Kyosho Ultima. His dad had purchased it back in the 80s, and never driven it. It's missing some parts, which I'll have to source. I guess I outta post a thread about it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Tamiya Frog with spare parts.  Upgraded the front shocks but still have the original equipment.  Trinity Monster motor installed.  Missing the original steel antenna, one headlight, and the resistor mount.

Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow that is a collection...  I wanted the grasshopper so bad when I was a kid, I couldnt afford it.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Wow that is a collection...  I wanted the grasshopper so bad when I was a kid, I couldnt afford it.  
View Quote

At fifteen I started working at McDonald's.  I believe I made $4.15 per hour.  I had to work many months to save up to purchase that Frog, see the receipt in my earlier posts.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 9:32:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Oh wow, those are nice. I'd love to have a collection like that. My friend growing up used to race an original gold tub Associated RC10 buggy.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 1:55:00 AM EDT
[#33]
@AR15Texan

Wow OP, I took a real trip down memory lane while looking at your pics. I was super into RC stuff as a kid . . . good memories.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 5:03:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
@AR15Texan

Wow OP, I took a real trip down memory lane while looking at your pics. I was super into RC stuff as a kid . . . good memories.
View Quote

What cars did you run?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Damn!  That's a nice collection!

My first car was a BoLink Digger 10.  I think I still have all of the pieces somewhere.

I've got a Bolink Old Aerotech body here at work.  I've been looking into getting it 3D scanned so I can reproduce a mold and then vacuum form some new bodies.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I have great memories of my Dad & I building a couple of those when they were new.
First one we had was the Cheetah; maybe 1979?.
Batteries didn't last long, and the rheostat speed control would burn up all the time on the old Tamiya models.
About a year after building the Cheetah, found a primitive speed control that was at least reliable.  Replaced wheel bushings with bearings later on also.
Later shock absorbers in the Frog/Grasshopper that my Dad bought were nice for the time.
Still have the parts cars in a box somewhere.  Should try to find them and swap motors, put in a speed control, new batteries & have some fun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Those Leisure Auto Chargers bring back some memories.  Roasted a few batteries before I upgraded.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Those Leisure Auto Chargers bring back some memories.  Roasted a few batteries before I upgraded.
View Quote

I got fancy and backprobed the connector with a voltmeter, monitored for peak voltage and cutoff the charger.  After a few years I had enough money to buy the Novak charger and a AC/DC power supply.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top