Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2020 12:15:16 AM EDT
The laptop no longer boots up.

The Windows 7 auto-fix operation does not work.

What can I do to access the User data?  If I can, I want to recover the User data.

I can access the Hewlett-Packard recovery utilities on the drive but I have never used them and don't want to do anything irreversible and lose my data.

Some, but not all, of the user data is on an external HDD as a Norton backup.

I currently have the drive plugged into this PC.  Device Manager recognizes the drive.  Windows Explorer sees the drive and lists it as 4 separate drives (D, E, F, G).

I can access 3 of the 4 partitions.  If I try to access the 4th partition (with the User data), it seems to go into a never-ending loop trying to read what's there.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Just swap in your recently cloned drive and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
bad clusters on the drive.

if you are trying to access folders. they SHOW but its takes a while to open the next subfolder give it an hour. dont change or touch anything   if it never makes it past that and the drive light stays ON.

bad clusters and you will probably not get the data back easily
View Quote
I am wanting to access the folders in what pops up as the "G:" drive.  I can access the D:, E: and F: drives (the partitions).  The G: partition is where all my User data is located.

When I open Windows Explorer, the G: drive appears but there are no Properties (total drive size, free space).  When I try to access it, it does not respond.

Am I too impatient?  I will try again and just walk away for a few hours and see if it just takes a long time.

Thanks for that tip.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#6]
There is no indicator light because the drive is out of the laptop, patched into my desktop via SATA cables.

Still, I got the idea - be patient!  Which, by the way, seems to have worked!

I am now using a program called "GetDataBack Pro" to recover as much as I can.  Even this program took quite a while to resurrect the data files.

Luckily, all my professional credentialing files are intact.  My email files seem okay,... all the important stuff.

Yes, I am going to back it all up as soon as I am done copying from the dying/dead disk.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Patience surely is needed.

It has been ~3 hours and the files are still being copied.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
?
He is telling you that you should have planned for this eventuality.

I keep all my files on a USB drive because I know my laptop will take a shit at any point.  I also have another backup of that drive.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He is telling you that you should have planned for this eventuality.

I keep all my files on a USB drive because I know my laptop will take a shit at any point.  I also have another backup of that drive.
View Quote
Ah, okay, everything else is on an automatic backup.  Even this drive used to get regular back ups, it's just that I skipped the last one and, well, ... Murphy's Law strikes again.

I am very happy I was able to recover this material, VERY!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top