Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
After reading this thread I have to grade you an F.  For F*cking awesome.  Wow great car.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By myfakename:

I always check my thermostats in a pot of water before trying and I have found quite a few that open much later than they should.  I stick with Gates or Stant regular units.
View Quote
The 160°'s were on the cooler end of the running range temp to the thing always ran nicely and never got too hot in my AMC V-8s.  (360s and 390s)
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:14:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BM1455] [#3]
Bump because it is almost spring and car show season.

AMX run, bent the hell out of the wheelie bars!

1969 AMC AMX NHRA SS/B 2016 Keystone Raceway In Car
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:33:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool car that was shadowed by the Big Three Muscle cars. Great color OP.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 8:26:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#5]
A couple of months ago I ordered a Powermaster 100 amp one wire alternator. The alternator is supposed to be a direct bolt in but it really isn't. The upper pivot boss is .100 undersizedand the lower bolt hole is just a tad shy of allowing the adjustment bolt to fit through the slot. The case is a bit larger than the old motorola unit and it hits the oil filter and makes it very had to get get the belt on and last but not least the pulley is smaller than the motorola pulley so the belt tension can't be set correctly.

I decided to address this issue by lengthening the belt adjusting slot on the alternator bracket. I've pulled the bracket and media blasted the area that I will be cutting and welding.

I obtained another alternator bracket and cut the section off that I will use to extend the adjustment slot.

I've trimmed and massaged both pieces so they are ready to be welded.

I welded the pieces and blended everything together. I widened the lower side of the adjustment slot so the bolt can pass through properly and the alternator swings through the entirety of the arc.

Lastly I media blasted the extension and repainted the bracket. I will install everything tomorrow once the paint cures with a new slighty longer belt.

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Bracket work looks very nice.

The new alternator will eliminate the oem voltage regulator brick on the fender,,, correct?
The failure of mine to do its job cost me several awesome K-Mart batteries way back then.

I hated that thing with a passion.

Jay
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 6:57:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#7]
Originally Posted By AZCOP:
Bracket work looks very nice.

The new alternator will eliminate the oem voltage regulator brick on the fender,,, correct?
The failure of mine to do its job cost me several awesome K-Mart batteries way back then.

I hated that thing with a passion.

Jay
View Quote

Yes the Voltage Regulator on the fender has been eliminated.

I'm playing musical V-Belt at the moment trying to find which is going to work. Having a bit of trouble getting the correct size as V belts are not as in demand as they used to be.

A Napa 7435 fits perfectly. It slips on with little trouble and with the added tensioning arc it allows plenty of room for proper tensioning.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#8]
You had the car out much yet?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#9]
You would think with being off for 10 weeks I would have driven the wheels off of it but It's only been out a couple of times. It has run well while out. I needs to buy the rest of the parts to finish the cruise control installation.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DamascusKnifemaker:
You would think with being off for 10 weeks I would have driven the wheels off of it but It's only been out a couple of times. It has run well while out. I needs to buy the rest of the parts to finish the cruise control installation.
View Quote

Cruise Control!!!!  

Sounds sacrilegious.  
None of mine ever had it though you could get it in at least the later ones.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By BM1455:

Cruise Control!!!!  

Sounds sacrilegious.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Cruise Control!!!!  

Sounds sacrilegious.  

Cruise Control in my 69 would have been be awesome.
I still remember my accelerator leg cramping up bad every time I went on long trips, and that is when I was 18-21.

Jay
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AZCOP:
Bracket work looks very nice.

Jay
View Quote

Mad skilz.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AZCOP:

Cruise Control in my 69 would have been be awesome.
I still remember my accelerator leg cramping up bad every time I went on long trips, and that is when I was 18-21.

Jay
View Quote

I used to drive my 74 AMX back and forth between Boston area and St.Louis back in college - usually going straight through.  
360-4 speed with a cam and 3.54:1 rear gears but I never wanted CC.  I liked the feel of the accelerator.  The later ones had a better pedal set up.  I had an early 68 AMX 390 auto and the pedal was no where near as nice as the later ones and felt too loose. I think they changed it mid 1969 so not sure which one you had.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#14]
In my case it is a physical problem. My right hip needs surgery but I keep putting it off. Long trips cause me quite a bit of discomfort.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 11:50:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Epidote] [#15]
In my case it is a physical problem. My right hip needs surgery but I keep putting it off. Long trips cause me quite a bit of discomfort.
View Quote

Bummer.

Edit to rephrase.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:43:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Did you ever fix some dent you had from an accident or what not?
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Edisla:
Did you ever fix some dent you had from an accident or what not?
View Quote

Haven't had any dents to repair on the AMX since I finished it. I got the Javelin repaired after I backed into it and Just got the Mustang back from the body shop.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:34:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:51:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm working on a new Shop/Garage for the cars and my knife habit. I should be breaking ground in the next week or so and hope to have the slab done as soon as the temps stay above freezing.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:40:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#20]
A bit of a resurrection with this thread. When I replaced the trunnion suspension with the coil over setup I put in a manual rack. The manual rack and my wife could not be friends when it came time to park. To make things easier for her I've been gathering the stuff to convert it over to power steering. Everything functioned well on my test drive around town and now the wife will be able to park it without starting a strength program.

The manual rack removed.

The power rack installed. It is a rack that would have originally been installed an 82-88 Thunderbird

Here I'm making adjustments and mods for the rack to link up to the column.

The Saginaw pump and custom hoses connected to the rack along with the compound u-joints linked to the column.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Very nice.

Jay
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#22]
No chrome valve covers!  
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#23]
No chrome valve covers!  
View Quote

I have an original set of chrome AMC covers but haven't got around to sending them out for fresh chrome.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Cool.  They are making so many repro parts these days, are they making them now too? I wouldn't be surprised if they were.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:28:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#25]
There are various chrome units out there but none that I have seen have the tab for the spark plug wire loom. The set I have are OEM chrome units with the tab.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:40:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BM1455] [#26]
There are various chrome units out there but none that I have seen have the tab for the spark plug wire loom. The set I have are OEM chrome units with the tab.
View Quote

I've been sort of looking around for a car.  If I found one I liked and for a price I might do it.  My brother has a red '73 401 4-spped Jav-AMX that needs to be redone.  Go-pack, black interior, black T stripe car, no AC.  I want to buy that one from him but he can't figure out what he wants to do with it.  He's only had it for about 30 years in storage....  He also has a '74 360 (P code) auto, F-7 blue white T-stripe, Jav-AMX but it's loaded and I kinda want the stripped down no AC version. He said he would sell that one but again, not my thing.  I like to keep them looking original in appearance, minus the EGR stuff plus a few more or less unseen improvements.
Page / 9
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top