Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 1/4/2017 12:35:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1969GTX]
I had a thread back in early April that got archived about me tossing around the idea of buying this project car.  HERE is the link to that archived discussion.

I bought it and am currently working on getting it ready.  It is a true RS23L GTX, vin number, radiator support, trunk gutter and fender tag all match.  440 is out of a 1969 Charger R/T. I started at the end of May and here is my progression. These are just a handful of the pictures I took so far and it took some time to reduce size to post here.  The car was about as bad as I thought it was. Frame rails were rotted, inner fenders were roached, top was rusted through, quarters, floor pans, trunk, etc. You get the picture.  I bought it, the pile of parts boxes, complete dog house, roof, 440 and 727 auto for $5000.  As of today I have spent roughly $5850 for parts and supplies (some used already and some for use when I get to that point).

Here it is in the storage facility I picked it up from.  I really wish I had a picture of it in the locker as it was cram packed with car parts and the car was barely visible.
Attachment Attached File

Here is some of the nasty metal
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Oct 21, 2022. Roswell Alien City Dragway
Roswell Alien City Dragway GT500 v GTX
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you've got your work cut out for you.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This website is so fucking frustrating.  I can only upload one picture at a time, save it, hit refresh, paste it back in the text box, upload another, repeat.  Fucking stone age and on a desktop.  Shitty site!  Might say kill this thread because it will take me weeks to actually get pictures loaded here
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I started on the rear end.  Quarters, outer wheel houses, trunk, trunk extensions, tail panel, dutchman panel and trunk gutters.  For the sheetmetal I sold some gold and a spare Omega Seamaster to fund the purchases.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
And the dutchman panel and window corners.  I did all this in my garage in 100* plus temps.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn OP, you're ambitious. I hope you can see it through to the finish.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
That looks like one tough project. Hang in there OP I love these kind of threads.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#7]
And the quarter skins that came with the car
Attachment Attached File

Tore the driver side floor out. Pass. side was in good shape
Attachment Attached File

New one in place
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is the biggie.  Replaced the roof and sail panels down to the bend.  Lots of work cutting out the spot welds on pretty much two roofs and welding them up again.  I counted them on the new roof....205.
Attachment Attached File

This is the donor roof that came with the car.  Very straight and zero rust.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Replacement skin on after metal prep.  Checking fit.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Another of the roof in place...
Attachment Attached File

And the pile of trash metal that was along side my house (roof not shown).
Attachment Attached File

Here is a pic of the doghouse that was replaced.  Donor was in perfect shape.  Lots of measuring and welding up supports to keep it in place
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn, that is a lot of rust!!  Looks like your making good headway though.  Should be sweet when done.  Any goal on completion?
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NIevo:
Damn, that is a lot of rust!!  Looks like your making good headway though.  Should be sweet when done.  Any goal on completion?
View Quote

I'll have paint done in the next few weeks.  Still blocking it down.  I still have a bunch more pictures to load with progress.  But I am right on schedule.  I wanted metal work done by October and body work done by December.  Saving a boatload doing it myself.  I had wanted to have it running by May as i set out to do but I don't think my budget can get the motor rebuilt by then.  Machine work, new pistons, intake, carb, cam, solid lifters / adj. rockers and aluminum Stealth heads will suck up a bunch of money.

As it is, I am setting several things aside to get the basics done and do the rest later.  I am putting off several items which I will do as money permits in the future such as Vintage Air, and stupid expensive repop pot metal chrome pieces and the Air Grabber box for the hood.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Would've let that one go to the grave yard and walked away, god bless your muscle car soul however for not doing so!
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome.  Love the GTX.  Will subscribe to see progress.  

You are an ambitious sort and I envy your dedication.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Should have turned it over to the clown on Graveyard cars.com.

Vince
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:34:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1969GTX] [#16]
Both doors had some rust and filler which was patched.  Inner and outer sides were replaced. AMD actually makes replacement doors if you want to fork over the dough.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:43:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Front fenders were in good shape.  Overall, the car was straight and never wrecked.  A few touches to the headlight area on both sides and some small dents were all it had.

Driver side fender before
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

After
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Fitting the front end back together
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Hood back on
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:50:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I love threads like this.  Keep up the great work!
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#20]
The stock radiator was a 22", option was for a 26". Mine was a 22" but I plan to drive it during the summers in AZ so I swapped out the pass side yoke with a repop unit.  For Mopars, this is the only difference between mounting the two.  I have heard of folks replacing the entire front doghouse for the swap.

Original removed
Attachment Attached File

New one installed (with new aluminum radiator for test fit)
Attachment Attached File

With all the hard parts fit and welded, I put the front and rear suspension back together to have a more mobile rolling body.  My blaster works out back so the castors would not work.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:06:44 AM EDT
[#21]
And the rear end was pulled apart, blasted and the housing was epoxied.  New hard line was installed and rear brakes rebuilt.  Center section in a 741 with clutch type sure grip with 3.55 gears.  Will work perfect with my car!  Axle seals and bearing as well as left handed studs replaced.  Springs are new Mopar Performance super stock springs with new Mancini front hangars and new rear shackles.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:11:54 AM EDT
[#22]
And with it rolling around on its' own gear...
Attachment Attached File

And out into the daylight for a visit to the blaster. Reminds me of the Dolly Parton song "Coat of Many Colors" lol.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:33:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Awesome looking car. MOPAR will always be the best in my book. A color will it be?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:52:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DrRemulak:
Awesome looking car. MOPAR will always be the best in my book. A color will it be?
View Quote

It is an original A4 Silver Poly car. I am not a fan of the greenish tint in the factory color (you can see it in the above pic on the doors) but I am keeping it silver with the flat black hood stripes and black interior. The new paint code is 1J9, a Toyota color called Celestial Silver.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:01:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Great job so far man

I'm guessing that this isn't your first time doing something like this
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:25:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By turbo_infidel:
Great job so far man

I'm guessing that this isn't your first time doing something like this
View Quote

Thanks. Actually, it is. Mechanics are easy, the metal work and body....well it just takes some motivation to just do it. Support what you can, remove old, fit new and weld. This was about the only option for me to own one as restored examples are $28k and up. I will probably have about $18k into it when done and that is spreading it out a bit.

Hardest part and point of no return was cutting the old front end off. If I fuck it up, $5k down the drain lol. I welded bracing and measured a dozen times. Cut the old section out and grafted the new one on. Once that was in and measurements were on, the rest was easy.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:25:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#27]
Excellent work OP.  I love working the sheet metal--I am drawn to it and it is my favorite part of the project.  I have never owned clekos, but just bought a nice set two days ago.  When I set the welding torch down, the project is over for me, the rest is just work.  

Front disc brakes are in no way, underrated.  Wilwood or Baer.  Do it!  

Saving the world, one car at a time!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:36:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SandWMandP15Tee] [#28]
Tagged ! Serious work there, OP. Love to see it running. 
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:40:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Excellent work OP.  I love working the sheet metal--I am drawn to it and it is my favorite part of the project.  I have never owned clekos, but just bought a nice set two days ago.  When I set the welding torch down, the project is over for me, the rest is just work.  

Front disc brakes are in no way, underrated.  Wilwood or Baer.  Do it!  

Saving the world, one car at a time!!!
View Quote

One area I may upgrade in the future. It is not a necessity to get her going so it can wait. Car is factory heavy duty drums, 3" front and 2.5" rear.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:47:16 AM EDT
[#30]
As someone who has done their share of bodywork on old muscle cars, I will commend you on some serious effort!!

Looking good!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:56:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1969GTX] [#31]
Thank you for the compliments!

Moving on...here is the car after getting blasted.  They stayed off the roof and replacement panels but got everything else.  The only surprises were some pin holes in the pass side front floor boards which I welded up.  The rest of the body I DA sanded down before epoxy priming.  Cost for blasting??????  $389.00!!!!  They said the paint just flew off and took em no time to clean it up, including the engine compartment and interior

Attachment Attached File

Start of some body work, All Metal filler in all exposed seams followed by Rage Gold
Attachment Attached File

And a good base coat of SPI epoxy
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:00:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

More filler, continuing to block
Attachment Attached File

Self leveling roof seam sealer used in the drip rails
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:06:37 AM EDT
[#33]
I got the body pretty straight, at least straight enough for a street cruiser so I built a booth in my garage and laid on 3 more coats of epoxy and began blocking the body some more, mostly sanding scratches but some low spots always come up so they will get filled with Evercoat body putty and sanded down to 320 grit.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:56:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Nice OP! Thanks for bringing her back. 

Seeing the work you put into that makes me ashamed I haven't done something with my B body. You're making us AZ folk look look lazy as hell.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:54:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By ARHank:
Nice OP! Thanks for bringing her back. 

Seeing the work you put into that makes me ashamed I haven't done something with my B body. You're making us AZ folk look look lazy as hell.
View Quote

What B Body do you have? Pictures?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 5:00:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Nice workmanship. Almost as important as the engine work, the exhaust note on the Mopar muscle car is very specific. What do you have planned for that?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 5:37:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By reconnaisanceman:
Nice workmanship. Almost as important as the engine work, the exhaust note on the Mopar muscle car is very specific. What do you have planned for that?
View Quote

TTI Headers into 2.5" dual exhaust, crossover H pipe, through Dynomax Ultraflow Mufflers and out factory chrome tips.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 5:48:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Great work!  Will be cool to see the completed project.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#39]
That'll sound very nice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:26:17 AM EDT
[#40]
And here I thought rebuilding a heater box for my E body was a pita due to me not being able to source a few parts.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Jesus Christ that's impressive work!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:40:29 AM EDT
[#42]
1. That's really impressive.
2. More please?

V
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 7:47:25 AM EDT
[#43]
After 3 coats of SPI epoxy primer.  Everything looks good, seams sealed, only more blocking to do and prep the interior, engine compartment and trunk for paint.  Doing these so I can have a clean, straight run at painting the exterior.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:42:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Very impressive work!

You should be proud.  I helped my Dad in a body shop,and outside of painting and mechanical, Im not worth a crap at body work.

That ol girl is standing tall.  

Good Job OP  
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Tag.  You've got some skills.  Doing it all yourself in your home garage is cool as shit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#46]
That is going to cost a lot of time/money but could be worth it.

My brothers used to cut grass/trim yards for spending money when they were in high school.  One of the homes they worked at was owned by the town doctor and his wife.  Both were in their later 60's or early 70's at the time.  The doctor's wife had two cars.  A new Mercedes and a 70 GTX (white with a 440 and 3 speed automatic).

One day when my brothers were there doing yard work the doctor's wife came out of the house, went into the garage and backed out in the white GTX.  My youngest brother asked her why she would drive the GTX when she had a Mercedes to drive.  She smiled at him and said, "Well, when I want to pass someone, I'm going to pass them.  This car will pass anyone I want to pass."  Then she drove off to the grocery store a couple towns down the road.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:46:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Very nice work . I am impressed .
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#48]
I masked the exterior and shot base / clear last week.  Used an Astro Evo LVLP 1.4 tip, 125psi at the wall and 18psi at the gun inlet.  

Base coat
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Clear
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#49]
And blocking the exterior, puttying pin holes, small dips, etc. Once I finish blocking the exterior and get it to where I am happy with it I will clean the garage out again, air the car out, mask everything I already painted, hose the garage down and spray the exterior.  This pretty much brings this thread up to date

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I like these before and after shots...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By disorientedpilot:
Good work!  I am currently sitting on my 70 cuda and playing with a 60 Chrysler daily driver.  

I look forward to following along!  I nearly bought a 69 440 gtx about 15 years ago.
View Quote

Would love to see pictures. I have a 62 Belvedere that I drive in the winter down here.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top