Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2020 11:40:29 PM EDT
This spring I bought part of family property and the house on it.

I will mow about 17ac.  With 3 ponds to mow around.

Here in W PA, we mow about once per week from May-Jul. Then every other week Jul-Aug, then every 2.5week from Aug-Sept.

I currently mow 7ac with a Yanmar 30hp CUT with a 72" finish mower.  Takes about 3hrs.

I have no experience with a Front Mount Mower.  But it is my understanding they mow VERY efficiently and nicely.  I'm currently looking at a JD 1585 with cab and A/C.  Such a machine would make it easy to convince my Dad to come mow while I'm at work due to the comfort.  Only problem is, they literally cost as much as aRR m16 on the used market.

We don't see front mowers much here in PA.  And they all seem to be in Midwest......

Can anyone speak to the performance of the Front mowers compared to drag-behind mowers I'm currently using?  Is it really worth it in time savings?

Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:38:00 AM EDT
[#1]
He you go, do this!
Biggest Redneck Lawn Mower 246 inch

Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:39:37 AM EDT
[#2]
When I read front mower I think of golf course reel mower.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:43:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe that the advantage of those units is the ability to do snow stuff and other things in the front, from a cab in a small package.  This is only a guess from being in the green industry, but I only ever see golf courses and municipalities with them in this state.  

You would probably be better served to buy a 72” zero turn and it would up your mowing speed.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:46:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Mowing 17 acres seems insane, no matter what mower you have.

What prairie grass or food crop grows well there that won't need mowing?
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:50:28 AM EDT
[#5]
https://www.ebay.com/c/23004263209    in NY
Can mow up to 17 acres of lawn per hour

Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:52:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe that the advantage of those units is the ability to do snow stuff and other things in the front, from a cab in a small package.  This is only a guess from being in the green industry, but I only ever see golf courses and municipalities with them in this state.  

You would probably be better served to buy a 72” zero turn and it would up your mowing speed.  

View Quote

A Ventrac would get him to 84" , but he needs to go big or not mow parts of it to really get it done in a reasonable amount of time.

Edit look like Ventrac has a 95" version as well
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:54:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the reply.

But, I have spent time on ZT machines....they only excel in area that require maneuverability.

In open areas, they are silly and require a stupid amount of operator input.

Beside, requirements are Cab + A/C
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:56:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A Ventrac would get him to 84" , but he needs to go big or not mow parts of it to really get it done in a reasonable amount of time.

Edit look like Ventrac has a 95" version as well
View Quote

I've actually looked at Ventracs...they don't help with mowing down into ponds....that's why I'm asking about Front mounts
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:56:17 AM EDT
[#9]
SCAGDRIVER thread
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:58:14 AM EDT
[#10]

I'm aware of the Toro Groundsmaster series.

I have no interest in a bat-wing deal due to to topography of what I'll be mowing.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:59:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
SCAGDRIVER thread
View Quote

No shit, right?

I even jacked on him and his username last week.

And now, here i am.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mowing 17 acres seems insane, no matter what mower you have.

What prairie grass or food crop grows well there that won't need mowing?
View Quote

The amount that gets mowed will continue to get mowed.

We have other plot with ranges, AG fields, MX, and a circle track.  But the area around the house proper, that will be mowed kept up as long as I'm able.

I was taught to "to make it nice" no matter the job.  Several good men before pulled it off with much worse equipment or means.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Can anyone speak to the performance of the Front mowers compared to drag-behind mowers I'm currently using?  Is it really worth it in time savings?

View Quote

Not sure about time savings and efficiency, but being able to mow stuff before you run over it will always do a better job than when you run over it and mash it down first.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I have been told you just need an old Snapper.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 8:38:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a zero turn. 10 years old and still going strong. I am thinking of going with a front mower just for the fact of like said.
you cut your grass before smashing down and I could manage around the ditches and pond better. I don't need a cab. For me I
have a hard time justifying the cost of a basic front cut against a top line zero turn. All my searching has been only online. I do have a 22 hp Yanmar
pulling a 5' country pride finishing mover that throws out the back as backup to the zero turn , The zero turn is faster but the finishing mower looks nicer in
the way it throws out the clippings out back.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I know they have their place but the front mount zero turns have been miserable for me. Slow awkward and uncomfortable to run. Are the "tractor" style more worth working with? I know going from a grasshopper to a super z was like changing from a shovel to a bulldozer as far as production goes
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Zero interest.  Cab +AC and heat are a must.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#19]
You need a tractor with cab and ac and a pull behind finish mower. Woods pull behind 12’ finish mower is probably $12k. Tractor with cab to pull it probably $20-25k.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Family has a 1435 I've used quite a bit.  For mowing large areas they are superior in every way.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 10:27:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Check out Kut Kwick. They have what you want, but bring some money, they ain't cheap. They're used in forestry, State roadside departments. Last I checked they had decks going into 96" and larger. Diesel powered, hydraulic activated, cab with a/c and heat. Built like tanks.

Edit: I was incorrect. They use a 88" deck. Check out video of Ground Master doing its thing.

I have an older model Kut Kwick CL20-60(probably a picture of it will come up if you type in the model #) from 1990 using an ONAN 20 Performer engine with front 60" deck. It's a rear steer model that was changed in '91 to a different style. It will take down saplings 1" easily. It's 12' long and weighs around 1200#s. The deck is made using 1/8" plate steel and it alone weighs about 400#s(with accessories) from what the company historian tells me.

Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:20:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Family has a 1435 I've used quite a bit.  For mowing large areas they are superior in every way.
View Quote

You are the first person to correctly identify a front mount mower machine.   Thank you!

Not a ZT, not a Terex, not a gang mower, not a finish mower(which i explained i already have).
All those things suck.

Superior how? I'm looking for ground speed and maneuverability.

Link Posted: 12/4/2020 12:22:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Check out Kut Kwick. They have what you want, but bring some money, they ain't cheap. They're used in forestry, State roadside departments. Last I checked they had decks going into 96" and larger. Diesel powered, hydraulic activated, cab with a/c and heat. Built like tanks.

Edit: I was incorrect. They use a 88" deck. Check out video of Ground Master doing its thing.

I have an older model Kut Kwick CL20-60(probably a picture of it will come up if you type in the model #) from 1990 using an ONAN 20 Performer engine with front 60" deck. It's a rear steer model that was changed in '91 to a different style. It will take down saplings 1" easily. It's 12' long and weighs around 1200#s. The deck is made using 1/8" plate steel and it alone weighs about 400#s(with accessories) from what the company historian tells me.

View Quote

Dude.  Kwik Kut makes glorified Gravelys....I have one of those.  You didn't read the OP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top