Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It very much depends on the bike.
The CBR1100XX for example is very stable and relatively docile unless you really try to go fast. Its long and heavy and really needs to be wound up a bit to get going. Once you do get it there though it wants to dislocate your shoulders.
Other bikes are more touchy/twitchy. Shorter/lighter bikes with more low end grunt. My Speed Triple is a bike I would never put one of those throttle rockers on as I am sure I'd kill myself at some point by accidentally sitting my hand down on it wrong. I've ridden most of my life and have still accidentally wheelied that bike away from stop signs. Usually its on purpose but the accidental ones are the ones that get your attention.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27369/s3_tiger_xx-s_jpg-763819.JPG
XX - Fast as fuck. Very stable at speed and docile until you wind it out. Feels heavy and I can see a smaller or new rider just dropping it while maneuvering/parking etc. Does not like stop and go traffic. Wants to go 100mph all the time.
Tiger 1050 has the exact same motor as S3 but different ECU/tuning and size. Much more docile. Very usable power. Super tall like any ADV bike. Shorter guys would struggle with it. Probably my favorite day to day IE commuting.
Speed Triple - Very touchy/light-switch first gear. Would be easy for a new rider to launch over the tree tops. Super small and light and easy to man handle. Most fun bike I've ever ridden. Practically useless for long trips.
In the background is the Ninja 650. Super light weight and easy to handle. Nice usable power. Fantastic bike for learning but enough power and good handling to be fun for anyone.
View Quote
Nice!!
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

We were not all blessed with your immense knowledge of torque development over rpm ranges and the road and tire interface awareness of a supercomputer.  As well most of us don't ride around in c mode like somebody's grandmother.  "Skilled" is not consistent with 700 miles.
View Quote
That's okay.  Start studying and practicing some more and you could be
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll pile on with everyone else.

OP - you don't have any experience and are looking at faster bikes for all of the wrong reasons.

If you want a sportier position, you can get lower bars and higher pegs for your current bike.  It is relatively inexpensive and easy to install, and easy to reverse when you realize a racey seating position sucks when you are not racing.  I don't even like riding through pit on my track bike, it totally sucks until you are actually on the track and at speed.

I've had bikes up to about 150mph at the track, and honestly it isn't that exciting to me.  There isn't much difference between 120 and 150, imho.  That is definitely not worth trading bikes for.  The  fun parts are the turns, and nearly all of them happen at less than 100.

700 miles?  Add a zero to that, do at least a handful of track days, read the Keith Code books, go to a track riding school like California Superbike School (Code's school) or similar, take the Ride Like a Pro slow speed course (police style), then start thinking about other bikes.

You don't have enough experience to really know how you like to ride and/or what bike would be good for it.  When I was getting into riding back in '02 I thought I wanted an HD or VMax, until I took the MSF course and actually rode real motorcycles.  Instead I got a used SV650 and replaced it a few years and 10k miles later with a W650 (like Bonneville) when the SV was stolen.

Then I got an FZ1 for sport touring, and started doing track days.  For the track, I went down from the FZ1 to a ZX6R for the track since I wanted something less powerful; a 250/300 would have been even better but I jumped on a killer deal.  I ride the 6r better and faster on the track than the FZ1.  I still have the FZ1 for street and backup track duty, the 6R is dedicated to track use (not street legal).

That all said, most of my street riding is on an R1100GS due to its comfortable riding position, capable suspension, usable power band, and ABS brakes (!!!!).  The 75hp and 75 ft-lbs it puts out are plenty for the street; it is actually surprisingly sporty.  ADV bikes are often much faster than their looks imply.

I wear an Alpinestars suit at the track, which saved my hide earlier this year.  Quality gear turned a 45mph crash into a non-issue.  For the street, I wear an Aerostich Roadcrafter or RevIt Cayenne Pro, depending on the weather.  Don't skimp out on boots and gloves either.  Hands nearly always hit the ground in a crash since it is a natural reaction to brace your fall, and it is common for a leg to get stuck under the bike.

Dunlop Q3+ are excellent sport tires.  I have them on my track bike, and many other track riders do as well.  Those, with the standard Q3 and now Q4 are generally well represented at track days

For gear shopping, Revzilla and Sportbiketrackgear are the places to go in the US.  If you know exactly what you want so that you don't have to worry about returns, look at Motostorm in Italy and Motocard in Spain for some really good deals.

Good luck, and please don't kill or maim yourself.  I nearly got a leg taken off recently due to stupid decisions on my part and bad driving on someone else's; it can happen to any of us at any time.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The fear of dying compels anyone with a lick of sense to study up and learn as much as they can about riding.

But there is no replacement for experience.  The book says don't give it too much throttle, but you won't know what too much throttle is until you get the feel for it.  Personally, I was making big steady improvements in my riding all the way up through 30,000-40,000 miles of seat time.  After that it kind of leveled off, but I'm still improving the more I ride.

Also, riding two-up really made my throttle inputs and braking inputs very smooth.   If not, you'll always be bumping helmets.  I didn't realize how unpolished I was until I began toting around a passenger.

So, 700 miles is basically nothing as far as gaining experience and becoming a competent rider.  You can do that easily in one day.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't know his overall riding ability or his total combined time on motorcycles.  If all he has is 700 miles on a 650 I wouldn't recommend a 600ss or a 1000 because they're going to be expensive to dump and he's already got the sunk costs in on the bike he owns. I'm simply suggesting he's just as ready or not ready for a 600 supersport as he is for a liter bike - that's all. My main suggestion for someone that's never had a bike before would be to buy one initially that you aren't afraid to drop.

I do remember how it was like and the liter bikes were easier to ride due to having nicer suspensions.  In fact, on the same token I think my GSXR-600 was actually easier to ride than the Ninja 250 I had to start.  I remember jumping on the GSXR worried it was going to be difficult and it simply wasn't.   Companies tend to do more improvements than just slapping the bigger motor in their more expensive, more powerful bikes.

The only reason to start on small bikes is so that when you screw up and dump them, your cost is lower.  I simply don't buy the theory they're easier to handle than other rockets.  My Ninja 250 weighed pretty close to my Ducati and definitely handled worse.   In reality I learned to ride by sticking to areas with very light or no traffic and after I had the fundamentals down a few weeks in I doubt the size of the motor mattered.  Then again I thought the motorcycle safety course was mostly a joke too as half of it was spent going around the room reading and highlighting a book as slowly as possible to meet the hours for the course required by the state.  ...and guys talk about that course like it's the second coming.
View Quote
An interesting perspective.

Also where did you take your MSF? Sounds like a piss poor location, at my MSF in Worwic it felt like we spent more time out on the range doing drills than in the classroom, by a pretty significant margin.

ETA: and we made 1400 miles accident free.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Congrats.  But you're still green.  Find local dealer demo days if they are offered.  Ride different bikes to gain more perspective.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Congrats.  But you're still green.  Find local dealer demo days if they are offered.  Ride different bikes to gain more perspective.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

and don't tell them you have 1400 miles under your belt
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Man, is it a good time to buy a used bike.... I just found a minty clean TL1000R with a full system near me for $3400. I don’t need it, but damn...
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

and don't tell them you have 1400 miles under your belt
View Quote
Maybe I’ll drop it in the parking lot to get it over with so they know I’m really seasoned. Everyone drops a bike eventually right?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Maybe I'll drop it in the parking lot to get it over with so they know I'm really seasoned. Everyone drops a bike eventually right?
View Quote
According to Craigslist ads, only previous owners drop bikes.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:05:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I'll drop it in the parking lot to get it over with so they know I'm really seasoned. Everyone drops a bike eventually right?
I was selling a dirt bike on craigslist and had someone ask me if it had ever been dropped....I asked him if he's ever rode a dirt bike
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was selling a dirt bike on craigslist and had someone ask me if it had ever been dropped....I asked him if he's ever rode a dirt bike
View Quote
I know it's not a true dirt bike, but I lost count on my KLR.  Sometimes intentionally.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Not really a drop, but yesterday my KTM 1090 tried humping the SV650 in the garage.  KTM 1, Suzuki 0.

Paladin
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We don't count lay downs
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 10:22:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not really a drop, but yesterday my KTM 1090 tried humping the SV650 in the garage.  KTM 1, Suzuki 0.

Paladin
View Quote
That poor SV, keep it safe
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paladin
Sounds like the KTM tried to drunk rape the poor SV
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#17]
700 miles... I think I've done that in one day on a supersport.  Get a couple crashes on that Ninja 650 before you think about jumping to a liter bike.   For me, I don't see a reason for a liter supersport on the street.  Other than to measure dicks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:34:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't see a reason for a liter supersport on the street
View Quote
Because there are no V4s in the 600-750 category these days
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I don't see a reason for a liter supersport on the street.
View Quote
They're great for beginners because the 100-mph first gear means you never have to shift.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
700 miles... I think I've done that in one day on a supersport.  Get a couple crashes on that Ninja 650 before you think about jumping to a liter bike.   For me, I don't see a reason for a liter supersport on the street.  Other than to measure dicks.
View Quote
I like a bigger bike on the street than I do the track. A 600 is getting the fuck ran out of it when at the same pace a 1000 is happy go lucky, and there's a few long open sweepers around here that I'm wishing for more out of my 600.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#21]
get a ducati v4r and let me borrow it?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 2:00:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:  For me, I don't see a reason for a liter supersport on the street.  Other than to measure dicks.
View Quote
Torque.

I can ride all day and never hit 5/6000rpm and still have some fun doing it
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They're great for beginners because the 100-mph first gear means you never have to shift.
View Quote
Yup, the shifting is really where I struggle. I also like that they can power wheelie over potholes so easily. One wheel means half the bump, so the ride is twice as smooth!
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
get a ducati v4r and let me borrow it?
View Quote
Wait do you want to borrow it before, or after I loop it?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 9:45:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wait do you want to borrow it before, or after I loop it?
View Quote
Before
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top