Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:...I know MA sucks politically, I’m a blood red nationalist but I tried Texas for a bit and ended up coming back to CA because there was 0 high paying jobs where I was. Plan is to work in Boston for a few years then buy a house in New Hampshire
View Quote

Dafuq?!  What is it that you do, that you could find a remote position in MA, but not in Texas?
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why are you moving to Boston?   Where in MA are you working?
View Quote

Waltham
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Um, San Diego has probably the best weather in the US.  Boston has a winter spring, summer, and fall. You will get 4 seasons. Winter is cold, but not upper midwest or northern rockies cold.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
San Diego and Boston have about the same weather. At least you are a cyclist, so the drivers of Boston will love you just like everyone else already does.

Um, San Diego has probably the best weather in the US.  Boston has a winter spring, summer, and fall. You will get 4 seasons. Winter is cold, but not upper midwest or northern rockies cold.

Wow... right over your head.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
San Diego and Boston have about the same weather. At least you are a cyclist, so the drivers of Boston will love you just like everyone else already does.

Hoooly fuck!  Did you hear a whooshing noise over your head?  That wasn't the wind blowing through the empty space between your ears!
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Waltham
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are you moving to Boston?   Where in MA are you working?

Waltham

Waltham is actually one of the best places to live in and around Boston.
You scored.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Waltham
View Quote

For Dassault?  I worked in Waltham for 12 years.  I lived there for a few and my mother's family is from there.  Good bars and restaurants.  Every town surrounding you sucks and NH will be a long commute with traffic.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#7]
The first ice/snow of the season every last em effer forgets how to drive, even if they've lived here their entire lives.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Boston is crowded. Houses are right on top of one another and VERY expensive. Despite the snow, there are very few garages.

Drivers use their horns there more than any other place I've ever been. Roads are tight and meandering because they just paved horse trails.

I don't like it, but my son lives in Cambridge and loves it.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Motorcycle truck day events are plentiful.  There are 3 tracks within 1 hour of Boston: Thompson,  palmer and Loudon. Plenty of track events from spring to fall.

NYST and NJMP aren't too far away either
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

For Dassault?  I worked in Waltham for 12 years.  I lived there for a few and my mother's family is from there.  Good bars and restaurants.  Every town surrounding you sucks and NH will be a long commute with traffic.
View Quote

Yes, it’s a new gig and this company is insanely liberal. Luckily I was able to get in with a COVID vaccine religious exemption. I wouldn’t technically be in Boston if I moved, I’d probably get an apartment in Waltham. I’m looking for a good ‘ol church-going community all of the same stock and good motorcycle riding. Like I said, I will not raise kids around the invaders of San Diego. I only got the gig because I live close to the office in SD and now the liberal leadership of the company allowed everyone to go remote with the new COVID/monkeypox scare.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#11]
You're moving from one expensive, shitty loud opinionated state to another one with the most annoying accent in the world.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Shockingly, the gun laws are even more draconian than what you are used too.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You're moving from one expensive, shitty loud opinionated state to another one with the most annoying accent in the world.
View Quote

He said Boston,  not Wisconsin.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#14]
While most people tend to use “Boston” colloquially - will you be living in the city or outside of it?  

As was mentioned - many places very much are cliquey/ clannish, some others are all transplants.  The city proper is pretty small, with distinct neighborhoods. There’s definitely places you don’t want to visit, let alone live.  The surrounding cities and towns (within the areas of North Shore, Boston, South Shore and Cape/ Islands and MetroWest is another state, basically) run the gamut from really nice and super expensive to you’re not gonna make it out alive after dark.  The accent does actually change between areas.

Note - everything is incorporated - each individual town/ city has their own government, PD/ FD, school system, etc.  The only reason you’ll ever know what county you’re in is if you go to court or jail.  There’s very little commonality between municipalities.  

As far as vehicles, have you ever driven in snow?  Snow is possible from late September to April.  Growing up, there were sometimes snowbanks in parking lots going into May.  AWD/ FWD won’t hurt you.

The whole area is expensive as hell, it gets cold/ raw and miserable in winter, hot as fuck in the summer and central air is a fairly rare luxury item.  Oil heat is still very common, and it’s expensive too.  Everything is OLD.

Coming from southern CA, attire/ fashion is gonna give you a bit of a shock.

The history and the food is incredible.

Its also a massive leftists utopia, and has gotten far worse since my escape, which I surmise is a result of all the colleges and universities and their student population deciding to stick around.  

It’s a great place to visit, but you could NOT pay me any amount of money to move back there.  Seriously.  

ETA:  I’m pretty sure MA’s gun laws may be worse than CA’s.  And while LTC’s are hard to get as is, it varies from difficult to impossible, based on the whim of the police chief of the town in which you reside.  Pepper spray and other less than lethal means also fall under FID/ LTC rules.

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#15]
At least the weather is nice in San Diego..
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That you’re moving from one shitty state to another.
View Quote

Yup.
Half of the year the sidewalk shit will be frozen.
See there is a bright side .
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes, it’s a new gig and this company is insanely liberal. Luckily I was able to get in with a COVID vaccine religious exemption. I wouldn’t technically be in Boston if I moved, I’d probably get an apartment in Waltham. I’m looking for a good ‘ol church-going community all of the same stock and good motorcycle riding. Like I said, I will not raise kids around the invaders of San Diego. I only got the gig because I live close to the office in SD and now the liberal leadership of the company allowed everyone to go remote with the new COVID/monkeypox scare.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you're in a luxury apartment complex, most of the multi families are going to be college age kids or mexicans.  Not that there's anything wrong with that if you like to party, but doesn't sound like it.  My grandmother's two family was right off Moody st, the party/restaurant street.  Waltham has been built up a lot in the last 40 years.  It used to be really blue collar.  It's probably the last town immediately west of the city that still has some blue collar left.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#18]
You work remote.

You want to live in New Hampshire.

But you are moving to Boston.

Do you realize if Boston was any closer to New Hampshire it would be in New Hampshire.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Heated suits?  Lol. Just move to NC and take a lower paying job..you won't be paying California prices
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Of all the places I have visited in my life, it was easily my least favorite.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Let's get this right.  You work remote.... From home.  You pick the Boston area to live?  Is there a reason for this insanity?  

I lived there for 14 years and will never, ever, return to that shithole.  

Seems certain locales draw a certain demographic.  Such as SF, Austin, Portland, Seattle... People in MA give up certain rights and vote a certain way.  

Enjoy your move fellow firearms enthusiast.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey, rambling boy why don't you settle down, boston ain't your kinda town.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Let's get this right.  You work remote.... From home.  You pick the Boston area to live?  Is there a reason for this insanity?  

I lived there for 14 years and will never, ever, return to that shithole.  

Seems certain locales draw a certain demographic.  Such as SF, Austin, Portland, Seattle... People in MA give up certain rights and vote a certain way.  

Enjoy your move fellow firearms enthusiast.
View Quote

Company is headquartered out there and I want to look for a different position, I won’t stop until I hit $200,000 a year just from my 9-5 (c suite exec)
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:30:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Stop in the middle
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I will be moving to North Carolina in January then up to Boston 2-3 months after. Are AWD cars a must in MA? I see it gets pretty snowed in in the winter months up there - what months does this typically run through? Can my employer give me a pay DECREASE if I tell them I'm moving, based on CA cost of living? (I work remote)

I'm an avid motorcycle rider, how long is riding season? Trackdays any good up there? What months are you wearing heated suits? Weather in SD today is 80 with 90% humidity, Boston was 90 with 50% humidity

I know MA sucks politically, I'm a blood red nationalist but I tried Texas for a bit and ended up coming back to CA because there was 0 high paying jobs where I was. Plan is to work in Boston for a few years then buy a house in New Hampshire
View Quote
If you have never driven in snow take it slow an practice in a parking lot that hasn't been plowed. Team O'Niell in NH has a 1 day winter driving course that is short money.

There are a few places that have track days: Tony's Track Days  and Fishtail Riding School  have single dates and weekend events. In the winter I just wear more layers while riding and do so year round.

Everything is expensive and the cost of living is only going up, quickly. Most people who take a job in the area have been buying up property in southern New Hampshire; you won't save money becoming a NH resident while working in MA.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry OP, you're a tard. Ha, Waltham is frikin awesome and Not under the Masshole influence.  

40 years down there and holy craptastic shit, good luck. Love the Sox, and would never go anywhere near that hole again. BUT, would be ready to kick some flat's ass for shittin on anything related to it.

Good luck, you may get it.... maybe not.

No disrespect meant at all.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#27]
An AWD car wouldn't be a bad idea.  It can really open up, or keep open, possibilities on weekends and stuff in the winter.

Cars up there, are, however, on the disposable side.  Don't fall in love with the new vehicle.

Yeah, they're quick to clear the roads up there, but you get a couple of hours out, and that begins to change.  Just depends on whether you do a lot of outdoor stuff.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#28]
LOL
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Boston traffic sucks.  Not sure what your commute will be... but you can ride from April to mid-nov.  Winter is wet and cold.  I think we had 3 sunny days in December last year on Cape Cod
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:16:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
While most people tend to use “Boston” colloquially - will you be living in the city or outside of it?  

As was mentioned - many places very much are cliquey/ clannish, some others are all transplants.  The city proper is pretty small, with distinct neighborhoods. There’s definitely places you don’t want to visit, let alone live.  The surrounding cities and towns (within the areas of North Shore, Boston, South Shore and Cape/ Islands and MetroWest is another state, basically) run the gamut from really nice and super expensive to you’re not gonna make it out alive after dark.  The accent does actually change between areas.

Note - everything is incorporated - each individual town/ city has their own government, PD/ FD, school system, etc.  The only reason you’ll ever know what county you’re in is if you go to court or jail.  There’s very little commonality between municipalities.  

As far as vehicles, have you ever driven in snow?  Snow is possible from late September to April.  Growing up, there were sometimes snowbanks in parking lots going into May.  AWD/ FWD won’t hurt you.

The whole area is expensive as hell, it gets cold/ raw and miserable in winter, hot as fuck in the summer and central air is a fairly rare luxury item.  Oil heat is still very common, and it’s expensive too.  Everything is OLD.

Its also a massive leftists utopia, and has gotten far worse since my escape, which I surmise is a result of all the colleges and universities and their student population deciding to stick around.  

It’s a great place to visit, but you could NOT pay me any amount of money to move back there.  Seriously.  

ETA:  I’m pretty sure MA’s gun laws may be worse than CA’s.  And while LTC’s are hard to get as is, it varies from difficult to impossible, based on the whim of the police chief of the town in which you reside.  Pepper spray and other less than lethal means also fall under FID/ LTC rules.

Did you grow up in LexConcord?

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Boston sucks...
View Quote

Boston is great!!!

When you visit.

Honestly my favorite "big city"

Shit hole state

Shit hole politics

A real winter is great

My fiancee had to live there for a couple years.

We had a lot of fun when I visited.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Oh and Boston roundabouts.

Don't be a fucking pussy.  Enter at full speed and don't dick around.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Wicked...
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#34]
The Red Sox had to cheat and use steroids to win their first World Series in umpteen years. San Diego has never won a World Series. Also, they should use the Green Monster for Trump’s Wall.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I cannot continue to live amongst the invaders in San Diego. I will not raise children around them. SD has gotten so bad
View Quote

Boston is not better than san Diego in any way except potholes .
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:35:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That you're a fucking idiot for living in both places
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm actually getting ready to move out of Mass to a free state. Good luck. All there is to do is go out to eat and watch sportsball. Boston is "so fun", until you have to drive into the city every day. Most over-rated shithole city ever possibly.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I think you should stay in North Carolina California.
View Quote

Fixed
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Worst idea evAr
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Did you grow up in LexConcord?

Nah, we were working class lol.  Born in Quincy, grew up bouncing around the S. Shore, moved to a free state (at the time) from Burlington.  But I did work right off the end of runway at Hanscom AFB in Concord off of 2A.

I’m a history buff, and my handle reflects my feelings of the current state of affairs, in particular, those in my adoptive home of VA, at the time of my join date.

I’ve always enjoyed absorbing the history there, including Bucknan Tavern, and may or may not have stumbled out of the Green Dragon in Boston

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ahem…

Rotaries
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:58:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Both are great places…..to visit. Live? Fuck that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#43]
This thread has legs.  I'm ......

IN
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Out of the frying pan and into the fire
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#45]
After you get to Boston, in a very short time you'll wish you were back in North Carolina.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Cold
Fat chicks
Worse politics
More expensive
Crappy drivers
The Pats
The Redsox

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:10:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ahem…

Rotaries
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahem…

Rotaries

Ahem, merging into traffic from 10 foot on-ramps
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Cold
Fat LIBERAL HILARY LOVING chicks
Worse politics
More expensive
Crappy drivers
The Pats
The Redsox

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Waltham better than most, need test for motorcycle endorsement, should get a 4 or all wheel drive, gun laws are all mixed up, talk to people that have actually lived under them here to try to understand them, garage and driveway parking, snowblower if getting house, learn when here where not to go in Boston, good luck
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#50]
If you get road conditions anything like where I live, you will want AWD or 4WD.  You can get by with front wheel drive, but why just barely get by.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top