Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2021 6:13:59 AM EDT
I need to reorganize a portion of my machine shop. I've got a backup recip compressor that I want to move to another corner of the shop, no clue how to do it safely. It's not extremely heavy, maybe 3-4 hundred pounds
Attachment Attached File

I also need to move this granite plate and cabinet:
Attachment Attached File

Pallet jack is the obvious answer for the cabinet, which I can borrow from the hardware store (no, don't have one or constant need for one)
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 6:23:32 AM EDT
Engine hoist and strap.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 6:32:04 AM EDT
Do they go up that tall? Top of flywheel is 70"
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 6:36:34 AM EDT
Assuming the ground is level between the old and new locations, get a helper and "walk" it slowly.
Be careful - the QT verticals are top heavy, as I'm sure you know.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 6:36:55 AM EDT
Forklift
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 6:40:39 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wienerman1961:
Forklift
View Quote

We’ve always strapped em and moved them with the forklift.

I would imagine slow and steady with a couple guys would work too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 6:45:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By wienerman1961:
Forklift
View Quote

No access to forklift, but I COULD rent one I suppose...
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 6:49:49 AM EDT
Solid tire hand truck and a strap
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 6:50:12 AM EDT
How did it get to its current location?
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 7:26:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2021 7:27:13 AM EDT by hockeysew]
Originally Posted By FGracing:
Engine hoist and strap.
View Quote

This!
Yes, it will reach high enough.
I have an Ingersoll Rand 80 gallon 5 HP vertical and I have moved it half a dozen times.
I use 2 straps between the tank and head, watch for air lines and wiring.
Don’t be in a hurry.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 7:42:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By trails-end:
View Quote

Air compressor company moved it to location, pallet jack and  muscle, 3 burly guys
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 7:48:49 AM EDT
Maybe some kind of machine mover / rigging dollies.  You'd still need to get it up a few inches.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 7:51:22 AM EDT
It will slide fairly easy on concrete if you walk it on to some cardboard. I would get somebody to help stabilize the top and push.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 7:51:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2021 7:53:09 AM EDT by buck19delta]
2 adults, unhook everything, carefully slide / walk it across the concrete. 400lbs is nothing, just carefully slide it. your crossing a room, not the state.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 7:52:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2021 8:00:03 AM EDT by jmarkma]
Stuff like that if I couldn't sling it and lift it from the top or pick it up from the upper frame I would bolt it to 4x4's and move it with a pallet jack. If you have concrete and two people you should be fine. Getting it up on the 4x4's would be the hardest part.

ETA: I've seen riggers use PTFE pads where they bolted a lip onto the pad to slide long equipment on, if you had 2-3 people you could make something like that and pull/slide it across the shop. Just remember if it starts to go let the damn thing fall, it's not worth getting hurt. Or just rent a proper compact forklift.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:05:50 AM EDT
I helped move a compressor from Tractor Supply to a shop yesterday and it was just me and my friend until we got to the building.  Then another friend of ours showed up.

It moved almost 100' from the trailer to the wall where it'll be installed.

It was actually palletized the whole time and if you can get some 2x under it and have 2 people pulling from the bottom and one stabilizing, you'll probably be successful.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:12:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
View Quote

This.  Like moving a fridge.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:12:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By M4ger:
I helped move a compressor from Tractor Supply to a shop yesterday and it was just me and my friend until we got to the building.  Then another friend of ours showed up.

It moved almost 100' from the trailer to the wall where it'll be installed.

It was actually palletized the whole time and if you can get some 2x under it and have 2 people pulling from the bottom and one stabilizing, you'll probably be successful.
View Quote

I think I'd try to raise it up a little at a time with some cribbing just enough to slip  some of these under it

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-6-in-Steel-Tri-Dolly-with-200-lb-Load-Rating-9299/100193474?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:15:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2021 8:16:07 AM EDT by JasonK94Z]
Two wheel dolly on the compressor. Just be careful, it’s top heavy.
I worked for Quincey once. Moved them in the test lab all the time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:18:56 AM EDT
Not a big deal, at all. We use (probably) that exact model for our remote pump systems. Two average size guys can move that, no problem. For going across the shop, we just throw a dolly under it and wheel it around.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:20:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Xyster7212:
Assuming the ground is level between the old and new locations, get a helper and "walk" it slowly.
View Quote

This. It ain't rocket surgery.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:22:23 AM EDT
I just dolly mine around when I need to.  About the same size.  But I left it bolted to the pallet it shipped on.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:27:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HangfiresGhost:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The more I think about it that's the answer. I tend to overthink things like that, or go for overkill.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:31:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By jmarkma:

The more I think about it that's the answer. I tend to overthink things like that, or go for overkill.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jmarkma:

I worked for Quincy for several years, so I may have a slight inside advantage.

I once watched two skilled Hispanic gentlemen manhandle almost that exact unit off a trailer, across a parking lot, through the store front of a dry cleaner, and into the boiler room. No dollies, 15 mins. It can be done with coordination.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:34:24 AM EDT
Last one i wired up i walked it across the garage

Probably not the best idea
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:38:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JasonK94Z:
Two wheel dolly on the compressor. Just be careful, it’s top heavy.
I worked for Quincey once. Moved them in the test lab all the time.
View Quote

I moved my vertical compressor the same way. I too used a two-wheel hand truck to move mine. Just be careful but don't over think this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 8:44:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
2 adults, unhook everything, carefully slide / walk it across the concrete. 400lbs is nothing, just carefully slide it. your crossing a room, not the state.
View Quote

This is how I moved my 80 gal compressor.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:00:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Gearsoup:

Air compressor company moved it to location, pallet jack and  muscle, 3 burly guys
View All Quotes

Another reason to leave air compressors on their pallet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:07:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Badlatitude:
View Quote

This is how I moved my big ass Curtis compressor.  My dolly had pneumatic tires though. Just pump ‘em up!
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:09:10 AM EDT
2 wheel dolly. I moved my 80gal by myself to my new house.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:10:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Taboot:
Maybe some kind of machine mover / rigging dollies.  You'd still need to get it up a few inches.
View Quote
If OP is asking this question he has no business anywhere near skates.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:13:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2021 9:17:41 AM EDT by NEPAshooter]
Don’t overthink this. Assuming clear path between start and stop locations, I’ve seen many safe movers do this with objects much heavier.

Tip unit slightly to slide 2x6 long enough for two legs under each side. Screw down legs so they can’t slide off the board.

Then, tip unit on boards so that you can insert a few 1” pipes under boards crosswise. This gives you wheels and you can roll the thing to final location. Remember to move pipes from the trailing edge to the leading edge of the boards as you go.

Two guys should be able to knock it out in a matter of minutes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:19:36 AM EDT
We've moved my dad's 80gal Husky a few times with a hand truck and it's tried to kill us every time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:20:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Merlin:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Merlin:

My machine shop area is too tight to maneuver my forklift so I actually make metal bases for a pallet jack for everything I put in there. It makes moving stuff so much easier. My metal working tables have a lower shelf at 4" so I can move them with a pallet jack as well.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:21:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2021 9:25:38 AM EDT by Palm]
Use an appliance dolly.  That is what the pros use.  If you go to a moving supply company they have real heavy duty ones you can rent; but the cheapest way would be to get a guy who moves refrigerators for an appliance company to do it. They won’t bust a sweat and it will be less than $100.

You must be doing some interesting stuff given the quality of your equipment.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 9:29:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2021 10:17:49 AM EDT by inop]
Last time I did it I used a gantry crane.
But it was available and easy.

Edit 120 gal 15 hp
I've also used equipment to put them 15' up on a shelf
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:53:31 AM EDT
I've moved a few of those with a dolly. It should tip easy enough to get the dolly under it.  Have at least 1 guy aside from yourself to help.
Better if to guys to tilt and one to drive the dolly.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:39:34 AM EDT
Mine has three legs.
It was easy tipping it back and forth to walk it across the floor.

Link Posted: 7/22/2021 11:40:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2021 11:41:33 AM EDT by midcap]
300 lbs?

man up and carry that fucker

or just bolt it to a few 2x4s then get a few 1" pvc pipe sections and just roll it where it needs to be.

pretty easy. I had to do this with my 6x6s
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 7:54:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Palm:

You must be doing some interesting stuff given the quality of your equipment.
View Quote

Thanks! Yeah, I've been a machinist for 23 years now, having owned my own shop for the last 7 (the last 5 have been full-time). I do a lot of extremely fussy defense work (sorry, I can't provide additional details) along with the occasional pet project. I've had everything crammed into a 900 sq/ft shop, so I had a proper garage (additional 1,400 sq/ft) built earlier this year, and I'm finally starting to get things organized. Everything was placed just to "get things working", but now it's time to take stock of what goes where and make every square foot count.

2 VMC's (Kitamura and DMG Mori) and one twin spindle C/Y lathe (Doosan Lynx) in the new shop, all inspection equipment in the old shop (keeps things cleaner).

Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:09:41 AM EDT
We moved one with some 4x4s strapped around and two big guys to lift and move.  Put the 4x4s under the solid top portion  and the guys had the 4xs on each shoulder.  If that makes any sense
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:17:03 AM EDT
I left mine on the pallet it was shipped on. I just use a pallet jack.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 10:34:18 AM EDT
They are top-heavy but not that difficult to move.
I recently moved and had no help to get my 175 gallon, 500 pound vertical compressor off the moving truck.  It was still on the pallet so I first tested just where the tip over point would be and since the pitch of the ramp was less I walked the damm thing down the ramp then used a hand truck to put it where I wanted it.

I apparently asked for help alot as a kid and one time my dad said "son I will help you this time but next time you think you need someone's help I want you to ask what you would do if nobody was around".  I told that story to my dad years later and he said that man he must of sounded like a duck, but it helped me do stuff that others were shocked by.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.