Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I did not know that about AF, what I remembered was from before the movie was the comic series Heavy Metal, just a short spread.

EDIT:  and now I'm wondering if my memory has failed--I may have seen one MTV short on it, and thought it was Heavy Metal.  I remember her dying in it, though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:47:36 PM EDT
[#2]
“The 13th warrior” is better than “eaters of the dead”
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Has anyone read “12 monkeys”? To compare to the movie?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
“The 13th warrior” is better than “eaters of the dead”
View Quote
wrong.jpg
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Fight Club for sure.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Bourne Identity, mostly because Ludlum is a fucking terrible writer
View Quote
Was.

I’ve never seen the films, the first book was good, the second wasn’t, and the third was complete and utter trash.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Forest Gump
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Last of the Mohicans
View Quote
I tried to read LotM a few months ago. Tried. I even finished Withering Heights. James Fenimore Cooper was as overrated as Michael Moore. IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Children of Men.  The book does help you understand the movie a bit better, but the events in the book, while similar to the movie, lacked the impact.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Starship Troopers.  Sure, the movie is vastly different, but I thought the book was friggin' boring.  There was just a bunch of talking and discussion of tactics/philosophy.  Which is ok for making you think, but rather...boring.  The movie on the other hand is a cheesy blood-bath filled with bug slaughtering, Clancy Brown, and...you know...
View Quote

Starship Troopers is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of an example of a book that's better than the movie.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Shawshank Redemption is the only case that comes to mind of a movie being better than the book.  There were several changes made to the story for the movie that made it much better than the short story.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#13]
G I Jane
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:45:08 AM EDT
[#14]
How To Train Your Dragon
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Outlaw Josey Wales was better than the book in a lot of ways.
View Quote
Agree. The book was so so.

I have to disagree with the posters saying The Godfather the movie was better than Puzo’s novel.

Recently just finished the audiobook narrated by Joe Mantegna. It was awesome the book brought so much more depth to all the characters.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:11:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The days of me not taking you seriously have certainly come to their middle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Starship Troopers (sorry guys, the book was interesting, but lame)
The days of me not taking you seriously have certainly come to their middle.
The book was ok and I can see why military leaders place a lot of value in it. But it's not this mythical fifth gospel.

The movie was awesome. Biting social commentary and sarcasm. A lot of it was lost on those who couldn't look beyond the title.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:15:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Shawshank Redemption is the only case that comes to mind of a movie being better than the book.  There were several changes made to the story for the movie that made it much better than the short story.
View Quote
Similar with The Body/Stand By Me. Both Shawshank and The Body are from King's Different Seasons collection of novellas. The Body is a pretty good book and I enjoyed the read.

But the four boys they got to play the main characters were perfect. Reiner coaxed amazing performances out of each of them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2018 7:51:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Godfather.

Puzo tells a good story but Coppola just made it...well, The Godfather.
View Quote
This.  There was some good background material in the book that was interesting but would have bogged down the movie...but there were also some WTF plot points.  Like the pages and pages spent on the doctor doing the "special" surgery on the chick Sonny cheating on his wife with....

Not a movie but the TV show "American Gods" has done a good job (thus far) of keeping the major themes of the book intact while cutting out a lot of filler...
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 2:14:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yep.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.
I agree with The Bourne Identity.

The Osterman Weekend - both book and movie are incomprehensible rubbish, so I'll call that a tie
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I know, it's almost criminal to admit it.  Here are some of my choices:

Fight Club
Cloud Atlas
Blade Runner
I, Robot  (except the end--the book had a more unique ending).
View Quote
I rather liked "What Dreams May Come" better than the book.  The book had some odd and convoluted theory, plus in book he wasn't entirely saving his wife from hell forever.  Yes she'd be there, but only for as long as her natural life would have been.  So while I guess he was trying to save her from maybe 20-40 years of "hell" it seemed more like he was just impatient and selfish about it.    In the movie however he was saving her from an eternity of hell instead.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Everything by Tom Clancy.  Sorry, great stories, but horrible writing.
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The book was ok and I can see why military leaders place a lot of value in it. But it's not this mythical fifth gospel.

The movie was awesome. Biting social commentary and sarcasm. A lot of it was lost on those who couldn't look beyond the title.
View Quote
I agree. Verhoeven is a awesome.

One of the rumors I heard about why starship troopers is not like the book is that we already followed a rough and tumble squad of Marines on a big hunt using advanced tech to make up for small number in 1986. So the idea of replicating the book and trying to outdo aliens was nixed
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How To Train Your Dragon
View Quote
Agree 100%.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Blackhawk Down
View Quote
I never could find the full length book, only the abridged (at least on audio).
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As much as I liked The Martian book, I think maybe the movie was even better.  It was faster paced with fewer dead spots.

I have a paradox with this, though.  I like the movie better only because I read the book first.  Otherwise, the movie touched briefly and quickly on so many things from the book that I would not have always understood what I was seeing if I hadn't already read the book.
View Quote
I agree with this entire thought.

I want to give them a tie, but...

I don't think about re-reading the book, while I DO think about re-watching the movie.

So for now, movie wins for me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#28]
The Godfather movie was better then the book

Lord of the rings I think the movies and books are equally enjoyable one not better then the other

Other then that I’m drawing a blank
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Place setting for “Annihalation”, i liked the movie and am half way through the book.  So far, the movie is better...

EDIT:  movie was much better.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
TLOtR

I say this as a huge Tolkien fan.
View Quote
I don't agree.

And among that series was the subject of The Song of Ice and Fire.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Warriors
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:51:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Everything by Tom Clancy.  Sorry, great stories, but horrible writing.
View Quote
Negative.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 3:25:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The Godfather.

Puzo tells a good story but Coppola just made it...well, The Godfather.
View Quote
I disagree, and I say that as a huge fan of the Godfather films.

The book is just outstanding - and completely outrageous. Like all of the Vegas and Holywood sex parties, the random vagina tightening scene, the deep backstory on the various hitmen...the book just offered a much deeper experience.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:05:42 PM EDT
[#34]
"Edge of Tomorrow" was so much better as a movie, I have already forgotten the title of the book...but I think it was "all you need is kill".
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
TLOtR

I say this as a huge Tolkien fan.
View Quote
Choke yoself!
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Choke yoself!
View Quote
He's right.  9 page poems entirely in elvish?  Check.  The entire Battle of Helm's Deep only taking like half a page?  Also check.  Sorry, I loved Lord of the Rings when I was a kid.  There's no denying they were groundbreaking, and had a huge impact on so much that came after.  But it's been done in ways that are SO much less dull since.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
He's right.  9 page poems entirely in elvish?  Check.  The entire Battle of Helm's Deep only taking like half a page?  Also check.  Sorry, I loved Lord of the Rings when I was a kid.  There's no denying they were groundbreaking, and had a huge impact on so much that came after.  But it's been done in ways that are SO much less dull since.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Choke yoself!
Tolkien: Aragorn is the heir to Elendil, knows it, and wants to reclaim the crowns of both Arnor and Gondor. Not just to reclaim his heritage, but because his girlfriend's dad has told him he won't give her hand in marriage to anyone less than the High King of both realms.

Peter Jackson: Aragorn hides from his heritage, just wants to be a valiant bum, until his girlfriend's dad remakes his sword for him and tells him "my daughter is not marrying a bum. Go the hell out there and be who you are supposed to be!"

Tolkien's saga ranks up there as one of the greatest works of human literature, alongside The Iliad.
Jackson can ESABATM.

ETA: anyone who disagrees with me is cursed to have nocturnal emissions about Tom Bombadil.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Lone Survivor, Blackhawk Down, Clear and Present Danger.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Tolkien: Aragorn is the heir to Elendil, knows it, and wants to reclaim the crowns of both Arnor and Gondor. Not just to reclaim his heritage, but because his girlfriend's dad has told him he won't give her hand in marriage to anyone less than the High King of both realms.

Peter Jackson: Aragorn hides from his heritage, just wants to be a valiant bum, until his girlfriend's dad remakes his sword for him and tells him "my daughter is not marrying a bum. Go the hell out there and be who you are supposed to be!"

Tolkien's saga ranks up there as one of the greatest works of human literature, alongside The Iliad.
Jackson can ESABATM.

ETA: anyone who disagrees with me is cursed to have nocturnal emissions about Tom Bombadil.
View Quote
You found my fetish.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#41]
The Road
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The Road
View Quote
I preferred the book on that one, what did you think of “no country for old men” if you read it?  Ive only seen the movie and cant decide if I want to read the book...
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Choke yoself!
Helm’s deep had no elves in it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Fight Club  (Watch it with the commentary track of Chuck Palahniuk and screenwriter Jim Uhls)

Blade Runner (barely the same thing, really)
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Goodfellas.

Nicholas Pelegi's book, Wiseguy, was the basis for the screenplay, also written by Pelegi.

But the movie is a perfect 10, distilling all the important book points into the best gangster drama ever produced. Yes, better than GF or GF2.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#47]
As Shawshank was already mentioned, I'll submit another novella from Different Seasons.

Stand By Me, aka The Body by Stephen King. The novella was pretty good, and I really like all four stories in Different Seasons. But the movie was a classic coming of age story, with great actors and great believability. When I watched it with my Dad at age 14 or so, it was pretty good. But I didn't catch a lot of the underlying themes, especially Gordie and the connection to his dead brother.

Great music, good pacing (the plotlines were allowed to develop without a sense of dragging) and the story telling (especially Lardass) makes for an awesome movie. I think Reiner got some amazing performances out of the four main actors.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Starship Troopers.  Sure, the movie is vastly different, but I thought the book was friggin' boring.  There was just a bunch of talking and discussion of tactics/philosophy.  Which is ok for making you think, but rather...boring.  The movie on the other hand is a cheesy blood-bath filled with bug slaughtering, Clancy Brown, and...you know...
View Quote
Let me guess...The one that's NOT Denise Richards?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#49]
LOTR.
the books were unreadable to me
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No, no, no, no.  The movie was really good, but the book was so much more.  My favorite parts of the book were the "we own the night" special ops troops we sent down to South America.  I can't remember any of that in the movie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Clear and Present Danger
No, no, no, no.  The movie was really good, but the book was so much more.  My favorite parts of the book were the "we own the night" special ops troops we sent down to South America.  I can't remember any of that in the movie.
Exactly. It was a reasonably serviceable movie as a standalone, but it's VERY hard to do a Clancy book into a movie and get it right. He has so much detail and sub-plots that eventually converge and you just have to cut too much out. This is why we'll probably never see a quality version of Rainbow Six.

Red October was awesome and as good as the book. Patriot Games was almost as good.

CaPD was a good movie on its own. But in the book, there are four separate teams who go in to the forest. The details of the different drug lords has to be cut. Clark walking into the forest and going directly up to some soldiers, bluffing them into thinking he's a gold miner and then killing all of them. You get a much better description of the development and evolution of Clark and Chavez.

And while I like both the actors in other things, Felix Cortez and John Clark were miscast. I just can't see Dafoe as Clark. Usually this isn't that big of a hangup. I was able to ignore the Scottish accent of Capt. Ramius with no problem.
Page / 3
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top