Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2024 3:38:34 PM EDT

In 1991, dissident officials in the Soviet Union launch a nuclear missile at Donetsk from a site in NATO member Turkey. Soviet automated defense systems, believing that a NATO attack is in progress, execute a measured launch of intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) at the United States. After Donetsk is destroyed, Strategic Air Command (SAC) scrambles its forces and SAC Commander General Renning urges the President to authorize a large-scale counterattack. The Soviet leader explains the dissidents' actions to the President. He asks the United States to stand down, citing the two nations' improving relations, but is willing to accept a US counterstrike comparable to the Soviet strike, costing each side six to nine million people. If the US launches an all-out attack, however, the Soviets will respond in kind.

View Quote
VP
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Seen it. Doesn't it have Powers Booth in it?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw it way back when, if I recall, it wasn't a bad flick...
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

yes kinda low budget because it was a 90s HBO movie but still a lot better than most of the crap that hollywood shovels out nowadays. It's neat rewatching these old movies again in HD when you notice details you didn't see before.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#4]
That was the worst air crew I have ever seen!  I would much rather have flown with Major Kong.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5D36Haa8L0

In 1991, dissident officials in the Soviet Union launch a nuclear missile at Donetsk from a site in NATO member Turkey. Soviet automated defense systems, believing that a NATO attack is in progress, execute a measured launch of intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) at the United States. After Donetsk is destroyed, Strategic Air Command (SAC) scrambles its forces and SAC Commander General Renning urges the President to authorize a large-scale counterattack. The Soviet leader explains the dissidents' actions to the President. He asks the United States to stand down, citing the two nations' improving relations, but is willing to accept a US counterstrike comparable to the Soviet strike, costing each side six to nine million people. If the US launches an all-out attack, however, the Soviets will respond in kind.

View Quote
View Quote

IIRC, it was Novorossiysk they nuked….which would have completely fucked the USSR economically, so I doubt the “Ultranationalists” would have done that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Decent flick.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:10:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Peak Rebecca De Mornay
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes
But it also has peak Rebecca DeMornay in it.  (She is another who is ageing well )

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:34:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Peak Rebecca De Mornay
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Saw it when it first aired on HBO.  Pretty good flick, but Rebecca Demornay’s character almost ruined the movie.  She acted it fine, but the character sucked.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:46:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That was the worst air crew I have ever seen!  I would much rather have flown with Major Kong.
View Quote

Everyone would rather fly with Major Kong. Also seems like he had a good idea of what a great time in Vegas was, to boot.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Sam old friend, I should find such an angel of mercy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#14]
OP watches Boomer movies.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes
But it also has peak Rebecca DeMornay in it.  (She is another who is ageing well )

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/66/c2/08/66c2088cb98baf98eb34530f2c91e171.jpg
View Quote

I'll be in my bunk
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'll be in my bunk
View Quote

She's Tom Cruise's used goods
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5D36Haa8L0

View Quote
View Quote

Could be wrong, but the plot of this movie sounds substantially similar to that 1950s/1960s movie, “Fail Safe.” No?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Saw it when it first aired on HBO.  Pretty good flick, but Rebecca Demornay’s character almost ruined the movie.  She acted it fine, but the character sucked.
View Quote

Yes, her character is awful.  I think this movie exists in the same reality as Red Dawn.  But Powers Booth was lying, he didn't eject from an F-15 after killing 5 migs, he ejected from his B-52 because his copilot was such a raging bitch.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I remember seeing it when it came out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 10:35:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Peak Rebecca De Mornay
View Quote

Correct answer.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Peak Rebecca De Mornay
View Quote

Some women just have natural sex appeal, she’s one of them
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:11:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Loved this movie!
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Depressing

It messed me up. It also lended to my not giving a shit.

It can't happen here.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Decent B-flick, as noted Rebecca although hot was a precursor Karen and fucked up and was blinded by not following protocol.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:33:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:36:38 PM EDT
[#26]
If you enjoyed "By Dawn's Early Light" I think you'll enjoy both of these.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Watched the movie then woke up to this.

Attachment Attached File

P.S. great movie except for the Karen.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#29]
James Earl Jones went from a LT in Dr Strangelove to General in By Dawn's Early Light.  

Those two alone with Fail Safe (the original) are movies I always watched when they came on TV.  

By Dawn's Early Light is pretty damn good for a cable production from The late '80s with some real actors.  Shit, it had the dad from a Christmas story!
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been trying to find Twilights Last Gleaming for a few years. Can't find it streaming or on dvd/bluray.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I saw it when it came out in theaters.  "Snipers" with iron-sighted M16's protecting the President.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've been trying to find Twilights Last Gleaming for a few years. Can't find it streaming or on dvd/bluray.
View Quote

only way to find it is through non-legal means, arrrrrr
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 9:39:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is free on YouTube. They have a lot of free movies available with and without commercials. For some reason the IMDB does not show films available on YouTube. Maybe because Amazon owns IMDB.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I enjoyed it, but I'm down with pretty much any WW3 flick.

Fail Safe is the best of the genre IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top