Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2021 8:06:10 PM EDT
The original thread is gone but there is an update.  It appears to be confirmed that the attack in Lipan Texas is believed to be a mountain lion.

.   From Parker County Today Magazine

Medical Examiner Confirms Lipan Man Killed In Animal Attack

HOOD  COUNTY – It appears the Hood County Sheriff’s Office was right. A Lipan  man was killed in early December as the result of an animal attack.

The  HCSO on Tuesday released the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s findings  that the death of Christopher Allen Whiteley, 28, was “accidental” as  the result of “injuries of neck, due to animal attack.” That follows the  ME’s preliminary report that a pattern of punctures and lacerations  were found on the man’s neck attributed to a “large cat.”

“The  Hood County Sheriff’s Office supports the TCME Office ruling since  there were no signs of foul play in Whiteley’s death,” the department  said in a statement. The department said it has closed its investigation  into the death.

mountain lion (1).jpg
kvue.com via TPWD

There  were conflicting theories as to what caused Whiteley’s death. Sheriff’s  office investigators said evidence at the scene suggested the man was  killed as the result of an animal attack – possibly a mountain lion – as  he was walking to work that morning.

Texas game wardens who investigated came to a different conclusion, believing Whiteley died from some other cause.

"There  is not any evidence of a predatory attack by a mountain lion at the  location where the victim was found,” Texas Parks and Wildlife  Department said in a written statement at the time. “A United States  Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services trapper also evaluated the  evidence and came to the same conclusion as our staff."

Whiteley’s  body was found the afternoon of Dec. 3 in a heavily wooded area not far  from his home in the 15000 block of Howell Road, just southwest of  Lipan in far northwest Hood County near FM Road 4 and U.S. Highway 281,  close to Palo Pinto and Erath county lines. Authorities said he was last  seen the previous morning leaving his house around 7 a.m. He lacked a  car, so Whiteley would routinely walk through the woods to get a ride to  work.

Family  members reported him missing the next morning, and it was that  afternoon when officers, searching the wooded area, discovered his body.  Authorities said no animal tracks were found but said that could be  explained by a thick layer of leaves on the ground.

Mountain  lion sightings are not uncommon in North Texas. A week prior to  Whiteley’s death, a mountain lion was seen on video roaming an area near  Rowlett, east of Dallas and some 100 miles from Lipan. In March 2018, a  Graford teen struck and killed a mountain lion as it tried crossing  State Highway 337 north of Mineral Wells. Large cat tracks have been  found on area properties and in Lake Mineral Wells State Park.

Typically,  mountain lions, or cougars, will avoid human contact. They are known to  range and roam large areas of territory in search of food and are  generally active between dusk and dawn. They are large tan-colored cats  with whiteish chests and bellies and black markings on the tips of their  tails and ears and around their mouths. They are typically hard to  mistake for a bobcat or other large cats.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Yet another reason to carry a gun.

I once encountered a black bear last year while carrying a 9mm. If things would've went south, I had enough firepower to kill it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I once encountered a black bear last year while carrying a 9mm. If things would've went south, I had enough firepower to kill it.
View Quote

While carrying a gun when walking about is not a bad idea, it might not prove useful against pumas.

The first inclination you will probably get of a cougar attacking you will be when he leaps on your back and goes for your neck.  Mountain lions are ambush predators, and very rarely seen before the attack is under way.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I was attacked by a couple cougars once
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Chances are, you will not know you are being attacked by a mountain lion until you feel a simultaneous vise on your head or neck and multiple knives digging into your back and shoulders.

I would want more than a 9 mm for a bear.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Over 24 hours after the kill and the cat hadn’t started feeding or stashed the kill?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
#MeToo
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Chances are, you will not know you are being attacked by a mountain lion until you feel a simultaneous vise on your head or neck and multiple knives digging into your back and shoulders.

View Quote

so for sake of argument, can we say a XD in .40 is the new mountain lion master gun/round?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:36:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Healthy adult Mountain Lion is unfortunately gonna win the large majority of those encounters.

Fortunately they don't think too highly of people as a meal
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm aware of the nature of mountain lion attacks. That being said, they can still be fought off, in most circumstances

As for black bears, a 9mm will kill them easily. There are two instances here in Ohio where cops killed black bears with .40 S&W handguns. One was a one-shot-stop/headshot.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

While carrying a gun when walking about is not a bad idea, it might not prove useful against pumas.

The first inclination you will probably get of a cougar attacking you will be when he leaps on your back and goes for your neck.  Mountain lions are ambush predators, and very rarely seen before the attack is under way.
View Quote

Im inclined to believe this. i lived where a guy who was fishing was attacked from behind. Story i heard is fish was strapped to his backpack and the cougar made off with it. Could be a fish story though. But in india back in the day they wore masks on the back of their heads because tigers would only attack from behind.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did they incite an insurrection?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

so for sake of argument, can we say a XD in .40 is the new mountain lion master gun/round?
View Quote

whatever works for ya
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm aware of the nature of mountain lion attacks. That being said, they can still be fought off, in most circumstances

As for black bears, a 9mm will kill them easily. There are two instances here in Ohio where cops killed black bears with .40 S&W handguns. One was a one-shot-stop/headshot.
View Quote

Well, the number of attack victims greatly outnumbers the fatal victims, but I still wouldn't want to go hand to hand with a mountain lion.

The bears were probably standing in someone's back yard eating out of their garbage. Hardly an attack - high stress shooting situation.  Correct me if I am wrong about the incidences you mention.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:40:42 PM EDT
[#15]
We tried to warn them . They should have been paying attention to Arfcom . The hive has the answers to all things .
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Did they incite an erection
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did they incite an erection

FIFY
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Over 24 hours after the kill and the cat hadn’t started feeding or stashed the kill?
View Quote

Just from the article it kind of sounds like the cat did feed on him .

They first thought he died  of other causes ? what heart  attack maybe and they thought some animals fed on the dead body?

Article is a bit strange how it's written .
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:45:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm going with Dogman kill

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.  I mean i want a gun in predator territory too but Mtn Lions don’t give warnings too often.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

One of the best nights of my life....
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

What bar were you in?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I dunno.

When I first moved to Boulder, CO in 1997, a child of 3-4 was walking ahead of his parents in a park in the city, and was attacked and killed by a mountain lion. While he was trying to recover the child's body, a Park Ranger had to shoot the female lion, who was young, and very thin, to keep her from attacking him for "stealing her kill." The Ranger used a 9mm issued handgun and killed the animal DRT.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:03:02 AM EDT
[#23]
A past acquaintance of mine used to hunt mountain lions that had preyed on cattle or sheep. Ranchers called him, he hunted with dogs, while he was horseback. Once treed by the dogs, he dispatched the cats with a .22 LR.

But that’s a lot different that being ambushed by a lion.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:00:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Well, the number of attack victims greatly outnumbers the fatal victims, but I still wouldn't want to go hand to hand with a mountain lion.

The bears were probably standing in someone's back yard eating out of their garbage. Hardly an attack - high stress shooting situation.  Correct me if I am wrong about the incidences you mention.
View Quote

One was in the county I lived in. A Morrow County sheriff's deputy was bit in the leg by a black bear in the late 2000s and killed it with a single shot to the head. There's an email in the news article from the chief deputy of the time (he became a school resource officer, I personally knew the guy) where the ammo used was Winchester Ranger JHPs.

The other was a few years back when a man released his exotic animals in Zanesville and proceeded to kill himself. Local law enforcement had to kill all the animals. One was a black bear. It took several shots to kill, but it went down quick.

Both shootings were done with .40 S&W handguns. If you know your terminal ballistics, then you know 9mm and .40 S&W are pretty close in effectiveness.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:28:58 AM EDT
[#25]
I live in the San Gabriel Valley(5 miles east of L.A.), during the morning hours many of the parents are taking their children to the local elementary school(not during this pandemic), but they have encountered cougars walking walking down the the street in broad daylight, because of this report, I advise them NOT to walk their kids to school, and drive them, even if it is only a few blocks away. Wild animals will attack them IF they think they can win.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:36:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Cougars never attack me
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:36:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Villages in India found wearing masks over the back of their heads with faces painted on them reduced the number of tiger attacks by an insane amount. Cats don't like attacking "alert" prey.

If it's stupid and it works it's not stupid
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like somebody tossed him in their pets cage and then dumped the body.

Screen name?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:00:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They first thought he died  of other causes ? what heart  attack maybe and they thought some animals fed on the dead body?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saw a news video about this. The local LE (sheriff, i think) were saying it was some sort of large predator, but the state game officials weren't. The sheriff said the victim's throat was mangled.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:02:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Almost 30 years ago there was a documented sighting of one in Jasper county almost on the Louisiana border. I think they brought in a federal trapper then too to track it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:27:14 AM EDT
[#31]
The  HCSO on Tuesday released the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s findings  that the death of Christopher Allen Whiteley, 28, was “accidental” as  the result of “injuries of neck, due to animal attack.” That follows the  ME’s preliminary report that a pattern of punctures and lacerations  were found on the man’s neck attributed to a “large cat.”

Accidental due to animal attack? No it was intentional, the lion intended to kill him.  There is a reason they were hunted to near extinction.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:29:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my bear country carry piece.  4" S&W Model 29, 44 mag. The nickel plating, flashing in the sun, is enough to scare most of 'em off.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:33:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Never get off the boat
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Reminds me of the Mountain Lion attack near Laguna Beach back in 2004... attacked and killed a mountain biker that was fixing a flat tire... attacked another cyclist a few hours later, and then was believed to be stocking the deputies  looking for it before being shot...

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Mountain-lion-attacks-kill-1-injure-1-Orange-2814215.php

I used to mountain bike in the same area in the late 90's and them moved to the Eastern Sierra's... around the same time as the above attack, a mountain lion that had been collared had died and had been picked up by wildlife officials. I had the chance to see the lion and we talked about the above
attack...

I will just say they are vicious attacks and my condolences to the victim and the family...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:45:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Does the mountain lion remove its mask for attacking?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

And they........................................
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sounds like somebody tossed him in their pets cage and then dumped the body.

Screen name?
View Quote
That_bitch_carol_baskins87?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

this, you don't see them, you feel them as they snap your neck. 150-200 lbs suddenly hitting you in the back and smashing you to the ground as it grabs your neck and snapshakes. apparently when deer get killed it is nearly instant.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes it is. Game Warden and wildlife expert says no and LEO says yes. Lawsuit or laying the blame elsewhere?
I know our DNR refuses to recognize Cougars due to having to protect endangered species.  Or so it’s said.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Cougars never attack me
View Quote

At my age if a woman who is considered a cougar by most standards were to attack me I would feel like I was robbing the cradle
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#41]
This was published a few years ago.
https://theweek.com/articles/517111/staredown-lion
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Here’s what our neighbors in the valley have been seeing.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#43]
"Texas game wardens who investigated came to a different conclusion, believing Whiteley died from some other cause.

"There  is not any evidence of a predatory attack by a mountain lion at the  location where the victim was found,” Texas Parks and Wildlife  Department said in a written statement at the time. “A United States  Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services trapper also evaluated the  evidence and came to the same conclusion as our staff.""

Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources folks are adamant there are no cougars in north Alabama despite photographs and eyewitness accounts.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#44]
always nice to take your dog along on such outings
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Saw a news video about this. The local LE (sheriff, i think) were saying it was some sort of large predator, but the state game officials weren't. The sheriff said the victim's throat was mangled.
View Quote

Isn't this how EVERY vampire movie ever made starts out?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A past acquaintance of mine used to hunt mountain lions that had preyed on cattle or sheep. Ranchers called him, he hunted with dogs, while he was horseback. Once treed by the dogs, he dispatched the cats with a .22 LR.

But that’s a lot different that being ambushed by a lion.
View Quote

When I was a kid (60's) I read several stories in Outdoor Life, Field & Stream, ect. on Mountain Lion hunts done just like that.  The most frequent weapon was a Colt Woodsman.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But in that circumstance, it's rarely an instantly fatal blow.  What tool would you want if a cougar is latched onto your neck?  A 9mm handgun with good capacity sounds like an excellent item to have within hand's reach for the 30 seconds before I black out.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#48]
A former co-worker on the old Space Station Freedom program lost his son to a cougar attack in the early 90's.  I'll never forget the look of pain on his face and eyes when he was telling us what happened.    It was so incredibly sad.    
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
always nice to take your dog along on such outings
View Quote

Except in this case, the guy was heading to work.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#50]
This incident happened about 15 minutes drive from my front gate.

Did a quick google search when it happened to determine roaming range of an adult cat.  OH SHIT!!!  PVS-14 and G-20 for any nighttime walks or shenangians.

Wife just said "fuck it".  She is staying inside after dark.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top