Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2020 7:14:07 PM EDT
If so, what are you using?

I bought myself a Merlin Axe shirt. It looks like flannel, has a full kevlar lining, with very light elbow and shoulder armor. Super flexible but feels like I'll roast in it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Would rather wear a mesh jacket.  They actually keep you rather cool in hot weather.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By inzane123:
Would rather wear a mesh jacket.  They actually keep you rather cool in hot weather.
View Quote

This.

A flannel shirt is far too warm 3/4 of the year in GA.

I have a Klim Induction mesh jacket for the spring, summer, and most of the fall, and a couple other warmer jackets for late fall/winter.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I wear compression shirts with a perforated jacket.  ATGATT.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Its very rare that I'm not in leather. I would be fucked up for life if I hadn't had it on a couple times.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I never even knew that riding shirts were a thing.

Pass.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By fttam:
I never even knew that riding shirts were a thing.

Pass.
View Quote

They aren’t. Riding shirt is a tshirt. Protection is a padded jacket.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#8]
this is correct
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:30:24 AM EDT
[#9]
You mean like a t-shirt???

I always wear a t-shirt when I'm riding. Under an armored jacket.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 1:57:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Scorpion flannel that I wear most of the time.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 4:12:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:

They aren’t. Riding shirt is a tshirt. Protection is a padded jacket.
View Quote

Yes they are.

Many, many choices with full or partial kevlar and CE elbow/shoulder pads.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 4:13:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dougez1:
I have a Scorpion flannel that I wear most of the time.
View Quote

In what temps? How do you like it?
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 302w:

Yes they are. 

Many, many choices with full or partial kevlar and CE elbow/shoulder pads.
View Quote

I think it would depend entirely on overall construction. I can make you a suit out of kevlat-lined tissue paper, with shoulder and elbow pads. The kevlar and pads will hold up great, but the suit will disintegrate as soon as you hit the pavement.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They aren't. Riding shirt is a tshirt. Protection is a padded jacket.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never even knew that riding shirts were a thing.

Pass.

They aren't. Riding shirt is a tshirt. Protection is a padded jacket.
Negative. A "Riding Shirt" is now an entire category of basically mesh jackets with a flannel cover to look like a regular shirt. They have armor and everything that a normal riding jacket would.

Not to be confused with a shirt that you just wear when riding.

I haven't tried one but they do look a little too warm for +90 degree days.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Mesh jacket and either short sleeve cotton tees or long sleeve compression shirts.

A jacket will also have proper wrist closures, and will probably have a strap to go through your belt. This stuff helps keep the jacket wear you want it in a crash. A flannel shirt might go as far as being pulled over your head.

Also, as it gets hotter and temperatures rise the goal may go from getting wind over you to protecting yourself from it. In a 100 degree weather the heat coming off the asphalt it gonna make it even hotter and at that point wind will be heating you up. In this case I'd still wear a short or long sleeve cotton shirt to hold sweat onto you and provide a barrier against your skin.

yeah I don't know about jacket/shirt combos . All I've seen are thin flannel or leather shirts, and full on mesh with hard armor jackets. I don't really see how a half flannel/ mesh shirt is gonna be any more comfortable than a full mesh jacket would be.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I bought myself a Merlin Axe shirt. It looks like flannel, has a full kevlar lining, with very light elbow and shoulder armor. Super flexible but feels like I'll roast in it.
View Quote

Haynes or Fruit of the Loom pocket T on street bike.
Jersey on MX bike.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Would rather wear a mesh jacket.  They actually keep you rather cool in hot weather.
View Quote

In very hot weather mesh is no better than bare skin and worse than a ventilated nylon or leather jacket.  Your perspiration is evaporated away before it can cool you and you can not hydrate enough to keep up.  You need to keep that layer of perspiration close to or on your skin so it can do its job.

There's a reason hot climate peoples wear long, flowing full coverage clothing or robes.  There's a reason the Mexican yard guys wear long pants and sleeves, head coverings and bandanas.

100+ degree heat index:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/14/2020 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#18]
I wore Joe Rocket mesh. It literally saved my skin during my crash. I absolutely endorse their products.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I wore one all over Sturgis last August. Better protection than a T-shirt, kept my arms from getting sunburned. Elbow and shoulder armor made me feel better about not wearing my Vanson leather jacket.
Nice and cool at speed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 9:30:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 1MAC:
I wore one all over Sturgis last August. Better protection than a T-shirt, kept my arms from getting sunburned. Elbow and shoulder armor made me feel better about not wearing my Vanson leather jacket.
Nice and cool at speed.
View Quote

Which one?
Link Posted: 5/14/2020 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Milwaukee Performance Men's Flannel Biker Shirt With Aramid (Black/White/Red, L) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHGXD9T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_8dGVEbTAKN8R5
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:13:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

In what temps? How do you like it?
View Quote

I wear it year round, in the summer just the early hours though. Way to hot here in the afternoons. When it’s hotter in the afternoons, I have a long sleeve underarmour shirt I wear.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#24]
My main issue with he riding shirts is that most of the ones that I see are flannel, which would roast me in the summer. I currently have a River Road leather jacket for cooler weather, Rev'It Sand 3 jacket for all weather up to about 90 degrees out (the rain liner is amazing), and an Olympia mesh jacket for really hot summer days. I usually swap the shoulder and elbow armor between the leather and Sand 3 jacket, as the leather came with cheap-ass foam "armor".

If I am teaching a riding course, I will wear either a moisture wicking "RiderCoach" long sleeved shirt that the trainer gave me, or a MX jersey, as those keep me from being sunburnt and flow a ton of air. I'm not too worried about coming off the bike at 20mph in the parking lot.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait, you don't wear a Harley shirt like 99.9% of the other riders? Get with the program
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#26]
@kitulu

Is your Olympia jacket the "Alpha"? Kind of looks like an M65?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 6:03:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 302w:
@kitulu

Is your Olympia jacket the "Alpha"? Kind of looks like an M65?
View Quote

Nope. Airglide 5. The only thing that i don't like about it is the elastic on the waist causes the jacket to ride up when I bend or stretch.

Airglide 5

Since my bike has a fairing, I need all the airflow that I can get!
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#28]
FYI: Kevlar has very poor abrasion resistance.
Good ol' cow hide has been proven to be one of the best.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:17:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
FYI: Kevlar has very poor abrasion resistance.
Good ol' cow hide has been proven to be one of the best.
View Quote

Yes, but leather is really hot in the summer, depending on location. Personally, I try to strike a balance between comfort and protection. After all, what use is a $500 leather riding jacket if it stays in the closed for half the year because it is too hot or uncomfortable? Also, being uncomfortable on the bike can easily translate into costly mistakes due to the discomfort being a distraction.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:10:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Motoport mesh Kevlar for the win.

I may look like the Michelin Man, but I am a cool Michelin Man.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#31]
just wear a vest
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
just wear a vest
View Quote

Arm protection seems like a good idea to me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
just wear a vest
View Quote

I wear a vest sometimes.  Under a jacket.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
just wear a vest
View Quote

The few times I've hit the asphalt a vest would have done exactly nothing.

Link Posted: 5/27/2020 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I've come to the point that I just want something cool, not black, protective, and resembles street clothes. Such things are not very common.

Whiney, I know.

I got my flannel. It's been okay to 90 so far.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Maybe I'm missing something here, but how can a riding shirt possibly be cooler than a mesh jacket?
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Motoport mesh Kevlar for the win.

I may look like the Michelin Man, but I am a cool Michelin Man.
View Quote

I wear a Motoport 'shirt' and it is more heavy duty than most other riding jackets. It is nothing like the current riding shirts. It's really a simplified jacket, with minimal pockets on the front and small adjustment Velcro tabs for the waist. I really like and bought it used for less than half of what they cost new. But this isn't going to be confused for normal clothing.

Motoport has a riding hoodie that looks pretty good. I may buy one for next fall / winter if business picks up. They are spendy, but I'm in love with the Kevlar stretch material.  I have a touring 3/4 length jacket in that material.

I have a Bull It Kevlar lined cotton riding jacket that I got on closeout for cheap. Unfortunately the sizing was so far off it doesn't fit (4xl fits like an xl, I'm 2xl). At $40, it wasn't worth shipping back ($25 to ship).  

Icon just came out with a riding shirt that has a mesh body. It actually looks pretty good to me. Icon gear has always been flashy, this one is made to blend in. Check it out, it seemed to have the right safety features to make it worth the cost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top