Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2021 8:11:23 PM EDT
Not looking for anything huge, just something built to last without breaking the bank. Just tossed my Weber Genesis 2 burner in the scrap pile as the cooking grates and the base had both rotted out. I have a small Lodge cast iron Hibachi, small and extra large Green Eggs so don’t tell me to get a charcoal grill.

So, anyone have a suggestion?? I’m all ears...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Napoleon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably not the "most" durable - but with minimal maintenance, I have enjoyed my Webers for many years.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Webber Genesis.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my Weber.  But, I love my Blackstone stone x87 more.  

Blackstone is the master race.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Weber Genesis.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#6]
4 burner Weber Genesis
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:40:51 PM EDT
[#7]
After my Weber Genesis rusted out (had it covered and under a roof) I got a four burner stainless steel Nextgrill with side burner.

That has lasted twice as long as the Weber (8 years now) and it was half the price.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
After my Weber Genesis rusted out (had it covered and under a roof) I got a four burner stainless steel Nextgrill with side burner.

That has lasted twice as long as the Weber (8 years now) and it was half the price.
View Quote

I think it depends on where you live with the whole rust issue. After having a couple more expensive grills kick the bucket way too early, I am only buying cheaper more "disposable" grills from here on out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#9]
We've had a Weber Q for over ten years, haven't replaced anything but the igniter.

All aluminum housing and caste iron grate. Two fold out shelves.

Not Tier 1, but we've been happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I really tried to find a made in the USA grill for around $1k but I had to spend a good bit more to do so and that's ridiculous. The 4 burner CharBroil I have is on its last legs but is 5 or 6 years old and was only $350. Partial stainless and frame is carbon steel. The bottom is going but really nothing wrong with frame and lid. Surprised.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Fwiw, I am 15+ yrs on a $399 Charbroil from Lowe's. Stainless, covered when not in use. Only parts changed are the burners once.  Probably do the grates this year.

And yes I use it pretty regularly too. Maybe I just found a diamond in the rough. Ymmv.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#12]
5 x $300 Grills.    Replace as needed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a used Weber Genesis.

Apparently the guy who stole my smoker thought it was trash, because he left it behind.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

There’s more to this story.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Wilmington Cape Fear classic
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I have two Weber Genesis 310s.  The second one came with the house we bought a few years ago.  Both have held up to the Michigan weather very well.

I've had mine since 2009, and it is used at least once a week during the warmer months.  Very little rust outside, and the grates have held up well.  I'd rate its condition at 8.5/10.

The one that came with the house is the same age.  It is hard-plumbed to the natural gas line, but the idiot previous owner didn't re-jet it. He told me it was slow to warm up and never got that hot (duh).  The entire inside looked like it was coated with tar from years of cooking at 400-450°.  I drilled out the jets and then it got to the proper temperature.  Before I adjusted/tuned it, I let it run full-blast and it buried the temperature needle (700°).  It smoked like crazy, but after an hour or two everything was burned off and it was good as new. Just like running a self-cleaning oven.

Both grills are in great shape.  I fully expect at least another 10 years out of them.  Of course, it should go without saying, both grills are protected by quality covers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Webber Genesis.
View Quote

This. Mine still looks new. I keep it clean and oiled which really helps it last. I bet it's at least 10 years old. I'll post a pic here in a few.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We've had a Weber Q for over ten years, haven't replaced anything but the igniter.

View Quote
I was about to buy one of those but they seem a little small for a family of 4. I grilled 6 boneless chicken thighs on one side and a bunch of vegetables on a stainless basket last night and I highly doubt it would fit on even the biggest Q model unfortunately. I like the compact  size and availability of the large tank adapter hoses though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This. Mine still looks new. I keep it clean and oiled which really helps it last. I bet it's at least 10 years old. I'll post a pic here in a few.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Wilmington Grill

This is made in the USA. This is 100% stainless including the burners. The burners are cast stainless and not tubes.

The construction is not from flimsy 22 or 24 gage sheet. If not mistake it’s 16 gage.

This should be the last gas grill you buy. Mine is 12 years old and the only part I’ve replaced is the ignitor.
I know people whose grill are 20 years old and they have replace nothing.

Edit. They have dealers in Texas.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#21]
weber
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:26:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I think it depends on where you live with the whole rust issue. After having a couple more expensive grills kick the bucket way too early, I am only buying cheaper more "disposable" grills from here on out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I lived in the same area so that variable didn't come into play.  

I agree though.  Weather, covers, and type of cooking certainly come into play.

I think the cheap route will be more cost effective in the long run.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:28:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  No reason to lie.

The Weber frame rusted all to hell, even when covered and under a covered area
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Weber  iIve had a silver for 26 years.  I can go to home depot and buy most parts.  The ones I cant get I can find online.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#25]
My Weber Genesis Gold has held up really well (15 years?).  When it finally totally shits the rug I'll replace it with another Weber.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My Weber Genesis Gold has held up really well (15 years?).  When it finally totally shits the rug I'll replace it with another Weber.
View Quote

Shits the what?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't cover them. Humidity inside the cover causes rust.

Will last much longer left uncovered.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought a Vermont Castings VM400 back in 2005. 16 years later, it's still our grill, and it gets used several times a week.

I replace the heat plates every couple of years (they're cheap), I've replaced the burners once, and I've replaced the grates once. I may have replaced the grease catcher tray once. I don't remember.

It was $400 new. You don't need to spend a ton.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Webber Genesis.
View Quote

seconded, did not read thread might be thirded or forthed
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I can think of plenty other things to spend $1500 on....
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:15:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I love my Weber.  But, I love my Blackstone stone x87 more.  

Blackstone is the master race.
View Quote

The griddle fad is back! I have the 17" tabletop for car camping, its a little bulky, but perfect for camp food.

OP, I want that 26" Delta Heat. To answer your question, I would check out your local custom grill makers for real durability and quality.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I can think of plenty other things to spend $1500 on....
View Quote

Like what, more ammo? More tools? More guns? More dirt bikes?  Bourbon? Tequila?  I’m pretty well covered there, and my Weber grill has orotted all to hell. So, this week I’m shopping for a gas grill. Next week, something else
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:04:54 AM EDT
[#33]

My dad's had one just like that for 20-25 years and while I've replaced the igniter a couple of times and the grates and diffusers once, it's been pretty good.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:12:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Napoleon.
View Quote

Dropped in to say this.  Spend enough to get an American/Canadian built one.  I bought a Prestige Pro six or so years ago.  Still going strong.  Cooks great.  It’s outside in MS rain and humidity, partially covered.  No rust issues.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:40:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Broil King.  They're amazing.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:53:22 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a 35 year old Broilmaster that I continue to use year after year after year.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:25:36 AM EDT
[#37]
MHP. I’ve had mine for 20+ years. Only replaced the grates and burners a few times.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:55:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Webber Genesis.

Mine is 20+ years old.

I have replaced the flavorizer bars.

Nothing else.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:00:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Doesn’t help, but I bought a pellet grill past June and haven’t used my Weber propane grill once. Don’t think I’ll ever go back to one.
Need to clean it up and sell it. It’s a cheaper model. About 6 years old and only had to replace the flavor bars.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:02:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50882743528_09142cfa4a_k.jpg

My dad's had one just like that for 20-25 years and while I've replaced the igniter a couple of times and the grates and diffusers once, it's been pretty good.

Chris
View Quote

Retro AF. Fine work.

Weber Genesis + GrillGrates
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 3:03:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I grill a lot with my Weber.  I bought the Weber branded cover for it and it has held up extremely well.  The generic covers make about two years, this Weber cover is going on year five now.  It is the the wind that does them in around here.

Right before the warranty ran out I called Weber and had them ship warranty replacements for all the burners, tubes, and drip shields.  So the inside is all new except for the grates, but those are in good shape still.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Probably not the "most" durable - but with minimal maintenance, I have enjoyed my Webers for many years.
View Quote

This is the answer. But requires a husband who knows how to care for and swap out simple, easily available component parts.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:37:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. We have 3 of them. New grates are $55, burner $34 and regulator $27 at the local mom and pop grill store. I inventory all 3. Shell will never rot out.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Wilmington Grill, Bought mine in the early 90's still looks new.  Cook around 5 to 6 times a week and sets outside.  Never replaced any parts but gas regulator about 5yr ago.  Only cosmetic blems is where grandson shot it with BB gun.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Gas grills are for communists.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#46]
15 shitty cheap grills?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This is the answer. But requires a husband who knows how to care for and swap out simple, easily available component parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, some of us probably know a thing or three about cleaning and maintaining things. Some of us also know when to call a rotted out tub of shit a rotted out tub of shit. Replacing an entire base/cart and other components of a $400.00 grill isn’t exactly basic maintenance or simple available parts. But then again I realize that reading comprehension isn’t a requirement here in GD.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#48]
I really like my 7yo Genesis, but moving it around sucks. No side handles, and DON'T grab those side shelves to move it, you'll bend the shit outta them.
I have a 1/4" step from the garage floor to the settled apron, and there isn't a good way to handle that grill with its tiny wheels and heavy weight.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:40:28 AM EDT
[#49]
$1500? Buy the one on clearance at Lowes every two years for $150 and you'll have 20 years of grilling.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Not looking for anything huge, just something built to last without breaking the bank. Just tossed my Weber Genesis 2 burner in the scrap pile as the cooking grates and the base had both rotted out. I have a small Lodge cast iron Hibachi, small and extra large Green Eggs so don’t tell me to get a charcoal grill.

So, anyone have a suggestion?? I’m all ears...
View Quote

My first Weber grill , an old 2 burner lasted me an honest 30 years .  I replaced the burners once in those 30 years..... around the 20 year mark I think. It was not that expensive and easy to do.  Cooking grates and flavor bars do rust out. I replaced my flavor bars probably 5 times in those 30 years and my cooking grate once..... purchased stainless replacement for the cooking grates.  I have only owned Webers for gas grills but I am sure others rust out at the same rate.
That's  why on my new Weber grill I upgraded to all stainless. I purchased a new Genesis 310 2 years ago to replace my 30 year old Weber. It was a great grill.
The base as you say loosened up on my old grill too.  It wasn't that the steel tubing rusted it was the fastener that that joined the tubes together that rusted out. It was an easy fix.
That old grill of mine went through PA winters setting out on an open deck. For several years it went uncovered.
A few years ago I gutted it and removed the burners etc. and used it as a charcoal grill.
For Christmas my children gifted me a nice charcoal/wood fired set up so as I type this, that old Weber is retired. It is setting next to the garage waiting for me to take it apart and recycle it.
I feel like I should have a proper funeral for it.

So, just get a Weber Genesis , upgrade to SS, keep it covered and enjoy it for decades.

Weber all the way!

IMG_1969 by
R A, on Flickr

IMG_1970 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/136058076@N03/]

So, here is my old Weber. Sitting here thinking, it is about 38 years old !!!  I purchased it the year my daughter was born. Time just zips by. I started to strip it down for recycling. I'll at least have to raise a glass to it !
I remember I paid $350.00 when I purchased it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top