Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 219
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:22:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hicap] [#1]
Prices should start dropping, when rates get to about 6-7% prices will adjust accordingly, the value of your house can drop and will drop high rate env,

As long as you got fixed rate a while back you should be ok just don’t borrow against your house
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ContrarianIndicator:
If they've been diligently building up a down payment, they might catch a break soon enough. Higher rates rewards savers and screws debtors when the home prices adjust back down to reflect the true state of demand absent of the cheap credit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:
Poor millennials just can't catch a break ...
If they've been diligently building up a down payment, they might catch a break soon enough. Higher rates rewards savers and screws debtors when the home prices adjust back down to reflect the true state of demand absent of the cheap credit.

That is true in a normal world, but that's not where we're living.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#3]
It screws debtors who bought into the hysteria and living beyond their means by overextended themselves on homes they couldn't truly afford absent the artificially low rates and rewards people who have been diligently saving down payments.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bakkbakk:

why are we applauding having to pay banks more instead of homeowners? We are in a housing supply shortage regardless of rates. This just fucks homeowners.
It screws debtors who bought into the hysteria and living beyond their means by overextended themselves on homes they couldn't truly afford absent the artificially low rates and rewards people who have been diligently saving down payments.

Actually, it won't do a thing to those that have a traditional loan and have already bought a house as long as they stay where they are at and don't sell. If you bought to flip, you're fvcked.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

Actually, it won't do a thing to those that have a traditional loan and have already bought a house as long as they stay where they are at and don't sell. If you bought to flip, you're fvcked.
View All Quotes

why are we applauding having to pay banks more instead of homeowners? We are in a housing supply shortage regardless of rates. This just fucks homeowners.

And that works as long as you keep your job and don’t have to move to make ends meet because your company went kaboom.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:
Poor millennials just can't catch a break ...
View Quote

This is the break I’ve been waiting for…hoping to buy another foreclosure for cheap like I did last time
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:28:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CoconutLaCroix] [#6]

View Quote
Looks like we'll see whose been swimming nekkid soon enough.

I hope the pitchforks come out if they try to bailout shitbags like Blackrock.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Welp. Glad I locked in low and am not moving anytime soon. Gonna be bumpy for a while.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:32:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CoconutLaCroix] [#8]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:

And that works as long as you keep your job and don't have to move to make ends meet because your company went kaboom.
View Quote
So very true

A large portion of remote tech workers who have left places like SFO to bid up prices in other regions work for dogshit perpetually unprofitable zombie companies that are ripe for a good kabooom when their cheap credit life support runs dry

That'll be a sight to behold
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#9]
That's probably my favorite type of terrain. Looks like the Colorado National Monument near GJ. Loved that area out west
View Quote

Of course, Colorado nat monument.  Don’t want to flex, but it was cheeeep at 220k. BUT I only brought a 20k down payment.  I think it was a 5% note, then refinanced at 2%.

This has got to be a lousy time to buy.   Anyway around buying now, don’t.   Prices will follow, hopefully cheap primers are not far behind.  
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By HRoark87:

I hate to say it, but I'm thinking about grabbing some puts on the Detroit 3. Low inventory. Fucked supply chain. Rising commodity costs. All in on low mpg vehicles. How long does sticker price + hold up?
View Quote

90 days
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Low_Country:

90 days
View Quote

Maybe I’ll see a Z06 at sticker…
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

Of course, Colorado nat monument.  Don’t want to flex, but it was cheeeep at 220k. BUT I only brought a 20k down payment.  I think it was a 5% note, then refinanced at 2%.

This has got to be a lousy time to buy.   Anyway around buying now, don’t.   Prices will follow, hopefully cheap primers are not far behind.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/CBBD549E-803B-4D76-B40A-E97F951E2858_jpe-2322932.JPG
View Quote

Your cat makes me think of hitler… beautiful house and property though!
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#13]
If inflation is 10-15%, are rates at half that really going to make much difference?  It'll be interesting to watch it play out.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By big_aug:
If inflation is 10-15%, are rates at half that really going to make much difference?  It'll be interesting to watch it play out.
View Quote

Real rates need to be positive to do anything.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By steel_buckeye:

Your cat makes me think of hitler… beautiful house and property though!
View Quote

Lil hitler and I will be watching.  I think you younger guys will figure out a way to leverage this shit show.   I’m all used up, it is your turn.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:57:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JEL] [#16]

I wouldnt say debtors are living beyond their means if they bought a house they could afford during a time of low rates. I understand the rest though
View Quote

Those who were shopping only payments and not thinking principal at all were, especially if they have a demand feature in their mortgages like some of my dumbass coworkers

The worst off are those who view their PRIMARY residence as an investment, RIP
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:58:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CoconutLaCroix] [#17]
View Quote
The CPLie is already massively understating shelter costs with their dogshit owners equivalent rent survey that says shelter inflation is only like 5% in 2021 when reality was closer to 20%.

So higher rates could cause home prices to crater, but the bullshit survey understates the prices on the way down, and we still have fat monthly inflation prints overall in other areas that necessitate the same higher rates that helped smother the housing market to begin with.

But the market will figure out where rates truly should be now that the Fed's thumb is no longer on the MBS scale and rates will pop high enough to get us where we need to be
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Inflation is probably more like 40%
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Houses are selling for $150+/ sq ft

New custom homes are $190+/ sq ft

How are home prices going to go down if the cost to build is going up?

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JEL:

Those who were shopping only payments and not thinking penile at all were, especially if they have a demand feature in their mortgages like some of my dumbass coworkers

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JEL:

I wouldnt say debtors are living beyond their means if they bought a house they could afford during a time of low rates. I understand the rest though

Those who were shopping only payments and not thinking penile at all were, especially if they have a demand feature in their mortgages like some of my dumbass coworkers

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Curious what your recommendations are?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Darrellbear:
All we're lacking to reproduce the Carter years is double digit interest rates to go along with double digit inflation.  We're getting there.  

Curious what your recommendations are?

As someone who was around back then, I would say keep your thermostat above 75 in the summer, and below 68 in the winter.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:01:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I’m looking for land in the country, been watching the market for a while….  Around here Everything sold at light speed during Covid for asking or slightly above up until a couple months ago.  Over the holidays land started remaining on the market for longer and has now started to sell below the crazy asking prices.  I didn’t even know rates had risen this year before the fed announcement, but it makes sense.  

I’m sitting on my hands for now, it feels like prices are leveling off and might even decline a bit.  I hope it’s the right decision!
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Hunter8793:
Houses are selling for $150+/ sq ft

New custom homes are $190+/ sq ft

How are home prices going to go down if the cost to build is going up?

View Quote
Because nobody can afford them at higher rates
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Good.  Enough with this $500,000 starter home crap.  

Bring back the $50-100k starter homes

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By BuschLatte:

This is the break I’ve been waiting for…hoping to buy another foreclosure for cheap like I did last time
View Quote

This, all day long.   If you can get approved for a short sale the time is near.   It will be salad days for those able to pounce.  Military moves always go short in shit times.  

Possibly, I am not all used up.  Good luck young brothers.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By chupacabras:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/ohboy-172.gif
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Not all, but a large percentage. I know lots of people overextending themselves on homes right now. People who jumped into a house recently and can't even afford furniture. But they had to buy because it was "now or never" and "prices are never coming back down."

So now they have some folding chairs in their living room and a blow up mattress, and are living hand to mouth in a home they can't afford. When they finally go underwater, they'll walk away. And many of them will probably be losing their jobs in the recession that we are almost guaranteed to have now that the yield curve is about to invert. We'll see if the Fed and Govt try to inflate their way out of a recession that was caused by inflation this go around.
View Quote
Well, that is an interesting statement.  On the other hand, investing in the house and waiting on the furnishings can be a solid way to go.  In that, a buyer has invested in a home that will appreciate over time.  This is a fact regardless of short term ups and downs.  Over the years the property will always be worth more than they paid.  

I have known people who purchased in the hight of the market, went under water for a period and them came out ahead.  My opinion (and it is free so not worth much), is that if you can buy a home, make the payment required (a little more if possible), you will sooner or later come out ahead.  And in fact a buyer still needs a place to live.  So why pay rent on something you are not accruing any equity in?  

Around here a decent 1Br apartment is $1500.  And all that money goes to help some other investor grow.

Again, my opinion.  YMMV
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#28]
In 2005, I bought my first house, got a 4.5% 30yr loan & people couldn’t believe how my rate was so low…..

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Then no one is building and there goes hundreds of thousands of jobs.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
And even less people being able to afford them.

Proving my point
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:23:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CoconutLaCroix] [#31]
Originally Posted By ropwoo:
Well, that is an interesting statement.  On the other hand, investing in the house and waiting on the furnishings can be a solid way to go.  In that, a buyer has invested in a home that will appreciate over time.  This is a fact regardless of short term ups and downs.  Over the years the property will always be worth more than they paid.  

I have known people who purchased in the hight of the market, went under water for a period and them came out ahead.  My opinion (and it is free so not worth much), is that if you can buy a home, make the payment required (a little more if possible), you will sooner or later come out ahead.  And in fact a buyer still needs a place to live.  So why pay rent on something you are not accruing any equity in?  

Around here a decent 1Br apartment is $1500.  And all that money goes to help some other investor grow.

Again, my opinion.  YMMV
View Quote
Took about 10 years to recover the last go around and that was with copious amounts of MBS purchases by the Fed to drive rates down, which might not be a thing since they're currently tasked with bringing inflation to heel.

We'll see how many people are willing to wait. I think a lot of people will bail, especially as job losses mount. The RE investing locusts will definitely bail.

And I would say buying a house without having the means to to furnish it beyond a blow up mattress and a few folding chairs is a pretty good indicator that you couldn't really afford the house.. The boom plants the seeds for its future destruction.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

With rates rising across the board, job losses are coming. Deleveraging is deflationary.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:40:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Took about 10 years to recover the last go around and that was with copious amounts of MBS purchases by the Fed to drive rates down, which might not be a thing since they're currently tasked with bringing inflation to heel.

We'll see how many people are willing to wait. I think a lot of people will bail, especially as job losses mount. The RE investing locusts will definitely bail.

And I would say buying a house without having the means to to furnish it beyond a blow up mattress and a few folding chairs is a pretty good indicator that you couldn't really afford the house.. The boom plants the seeds for its future destruction.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ropwoo:

Again, my opinion.  YMMV

I will agree the curve can be years and that it depends on the buyers goals  (quick flip or long term living / investment).  My observation comes from the perspective of purchasing a home that a buyer intends to occupy as a primary residence for some time.

In that time, furnishings can be acquired, improvements can be made, and the benefit of ownership over renting can be realised.

I think the concept of "folding chairs and blow-up mattresses" is hyperbole, at least I hope it is.  I know when I purchased my first house, I had mostly basic Ikea furnishings and cardboard end tables.  That changed over time and was worth the sacrifice.  Again YMMV

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:42:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _200mph] [#34]
2008, the sequel.
My advice to everyone including myself is to save up some emergency money just to be safe. You want to have 6 months of spending money in case we have layoffs this time next year.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Hopefully this will allow building materials availability and price to stabilize.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#36]
All the FED will have to do is say “ Maybe we will not raise rates six times, two will be enough for now”.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Just wait. It's coming.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#38]
So now they have some folding chairs in their living room and a blow up mattress
View Quote

Are you peeping in around the sheets I have tacked up over the windows?  
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:56:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CheckEngine] [#39]
I waiting for boomers and gen x that just bought a home in the last two years that need to move immediately, cry.

lulz and such.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By _200mph:
2008, the sequel.
My advice to everyone including myself is to save up some emergency money just to be safe. You want to have 6 months of spending money in case we have layoffs this time next year.
View Quote

That was an entirely different scenario and mostly due to no doc loans.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Doublewide on 2.2 acres.
Only $415K
The best part is that's it's at the edge of the downwind leg for the landing pattern of the SuperHornets.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Do you hear that sound?

That's the sound of the air coming out of yet another housing bubble.  This one lays squarely at the feet of the Fed.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By bigt61:
Good.  Enough with this $500,000 starter home crap.  
Bring back the $50-100k starter homes
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:03:29 PM EDT
[#44]
The average rate on the popular 30-year fixed mortgage hit 4.72% on Tuesday, moving 26 basis points higher since just Friday, according to Mortgage News Daily.
As a result of the recent spike in rates, economists are now lowering their home sales forecasts for this year.

Most estimates at the end of last year had the average 30-year mortgage rate hitting 4.5% by the end of 2022, but the war in Ukraine, rising oil prices and inflation have all lit a fire under interest rates.

View Quote

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/03/22/mortgage-rates-are-surging-faster-than-expected-prompting-economists-to-lower-their-home-sales-forecasts.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FObNrFEXMAcOhuv?format=jpg&name=small

And the Fed hasn't even ceased their $40 billion monthly MBS purchases yet. That fully ends starting in April.... Aaaand they're possibly going to start selling the $2.9 Trillion they already own, which will cause rates to pop even more.

Rates were 2.7% 6 months ago.

Going from 2.7% to 4.7% just added about $500 to the monthly payment on a median home for the avg prospective home buyer.

Things are starting to look yucky for the housing bubble.
View Quote

Good. Time for some cheeep real estate.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:03:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _200mph] [#45]
Originally Posted By Off-the-Grid:

That was an entirely different scenario and mostly due to no doc loans.
View Quote

IMO, it started with the left-tards in government mandating that banks make loans to people who shouldn’t qualify for loans.
That turned in banks finding ways to offload risk.
Once they found ways to offload risk, the party started.

This time is different, but still seeming concerning. everyone just refinanced. If homes drop in price by 25%, what percentage of people will be underwater?

Of the people underwater, what percentage just walk, leaving the banks with the loss?

Then when a bank fails and we have Kamala running the country, will she bail out ‘evil wallstreet’? If not, it’s a Great Depression.

Then again I’m just fucking around, I have no idea what’s going to happen.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

Inflation cranking prices on everything else will wreck people on tight budgets, resulting in foreclosures.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By JVD:
I get the feeling I won't be refinancing for quite some time.
It's going to be a crazy ride

View Quote

How could you have missed it last year?  2.25%…
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#48]
The house prices are nuts everything is over valued the rates rising should help crash the values and bring prices back where they should be.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#49]
I wonder if a good chunk of “remote” workers who moved away and bought at inflated prices will be cut loose/outsourced.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:16:06 PM EDT
[#50]
my interest rate in 97 was 14.9 now its 2.5 so 4.7 is still looking good
Page / 219
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top