Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2021 6:57:21 PM EDT
Got my PPl 7 years ago, my instrument rating 1 year after.

Been in the Rocket now for 6 years have about 500 hrs in it. In eco cruise it'll do 180knts on 18gal/hr. It's been a great plane, just small.

I need more room, more payload, easier boarding. My kids are becoming teenagers.

My typical usage is twice a month flight to S. Texas, usually just two of us, 1 hr flight time, one way. And then twice a year to Destin 3 hrs one way. And also twice yearly to Santa Fe 3 hrs one way.

I'd be willing to go into S. Colorado but don't have FIKI on the Mooney.  

The longer flights are when I really need the room for the kids.

I'm thinking my next step is a piper matrix/malibu.

What about a Jetprop conversion$$

I like the idea of pressurization but how is the maintenance?

I don't want a twin.

I'm good with the speeds I'm getting now. Just need more room and convenience.

I need some feedback. Am I looking in the right direction?

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I see better numbers in my rocket than 180kts at 18gph. What altitude are you at?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#3]
30” 2200 18gph

8000-16000

It’ll do 190-195 in the low teens.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cessna 210.

If you're satisfied with the speed, a Cessna 182RG might work.  Slow down a little, haul everything you want to haul.

View Quote

Cessna T210 or a turbocharged Bonanza; P210 if you really want pressurization.

Gets you almost the same speed and altitudes.

As for turbine power, even the STC Bonanzas and 210's are spendy to operate and, from my limited experience with the 210 version, not really worth the layout for the mission profile you outlined.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:17:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#6]
since you're already experimental, and since I've drank way to much of the Kool-Aid; how about an RV-10.  Slightly slower and less fuel burn than your seeing, much more room and easier entry.  About 1100 pounds to use for pax, fuel, and baggage.

nevermind, realized after mooney rocket
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
since you're already experimental, and since I've drank way to much of the Kool-Aid; how about an RV-10.  Slightly slower and less fuel burn than your seeing, much more room and easier entry.  About 1100 pounds to use for pax, fuel, and baggage.

nevermind, realized after mooney rocket
View Quote

I would be open to an experimental. I've looked at the RV10's. But I really need to sit in one and see it up close.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Where in Texas are you?  I am building a 10 but have neighbors with them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want to fly in ice, I’d definitely recommend a turboprop.

What is your total mileage per year and what is your capex/opex budget?
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm based out of Austin Exc.

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm based out of Austin Exc.

View Quote

suggest trying the vans airforce forum, I am sure you can find one to sit in, probably someone would give you a ride.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:49:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I consider the RV10 to be a far lesser plane than the rocket and more on par with a vintage Mooney.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I've decided to buy into a JetPROP partnership.

Waiting on the insurance quote now. I'm nervous. I have no turboprop experience.

I'll likely have to go to a check-out course and have an approved SIC ride along for 15-25 hrs.

I have watched all the youtube videos on these planes, some even twice.

Anybody with jetprop time that can chime in?
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've decided to buy into a JetPROP partnership.

Waiting on the insurance quote now. I'm nervous. I have no turboprop experience.

I'll likely have to go to a check-out course and have an approved SIC ride along for 15-25 hrs.

I have watched all the youtube videos on these planes, some even twice.

Anybody with jetprop time that can chime in?
View Quote

Meridian/Malibu? If so that was the most cramped up cabin I've ever tried to get into. I'm 6'4" though, but when I was an instructor flew in most all of the piston singles at some time or another. None felt as cramped as the Meridian. YMMV of course.

That said, it would be a way better airplane than any of the pistons. Especially if CO or mountainous terrain is in your future. Turbine>piston every time for that role.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Meridian/Malibu? If so that was the most cramped up cabin I've ever tried to get into. I'm 6'4" though, but when I was an instructor flew in most all of the piston singles at some time or another. None felt as cramped as the Meridian. YMMV of course.

That said, it would be a way better airplane than any of the pistons. Especially if CO or mountainous terrain is in your future. Turbine>piston every time for that role.
View Quote

Malibu.

I know what you mean. I’m 6’3” 200lbs and I can barely fit.

With all the research I did. I thought I was prepared for the takeoff. I was still impressed. We weren’t even pushing it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:59:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Contact Parker at Airspeed Insurance if you aren’t already using him.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Just as I feared.

One partner is 68. The other is 78.

To add me on with no turboprop time would cost, just me, 38K.

it would also double our deductible and lower our liability coverage.

Even if I were willing to pay the 38K for insurance the other partners aren't comfortable with double deductible and  lower liability.

We are going to try running the numbers again with the subtraction of the 78 year old and the addition of a younger, not yet found, pilot with similar experience as mine, to see what the cost would be.

What drives me crazy is the insurance costs would be reasonable, if I were to buy the plane outright myself, 13K. WTF!

Sad that insurance might drive me out of this deal.

Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:52:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just as I feared.

One partner is 68. The other is 78.

To add me on with no turboprop time would cost, just me, 38K.

it would also double our deductible and lower our liability coverage.

Even if I were willing to pay the 38K for insurance the other partners aren't comfortable with double deductible and  lower liability.

We are going to try running the numbers again with the subtraction of the 78 year old and the addition of a younger, not yet found, pilot with similar experience as mine, to see what the cost would be.

What drives me crazy is the insurance costs would be reasonable, if I were to buy the plane outright myself, 13K. WTF!

Sad that insurance might drive me out of this deal.

View Quote

I’m assuming different carriers needed to write those different risks. Insurance also backed me off of an a36tn last year. It wasn’t that bad, but was also a lot less plane...
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe moot point..

Get a ride in aircraft you are eying. Load within 10% max load and fuel and sodas.

See how you like the way it works... do same with one you have...

Currently retired and disabled to point of not be being PIC, I have done this with 182 on and off floats and t210.... and t206.

Which is best for family safety.  That is the best call in my useless opinion.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#20]
The 78 year old has decided to bow out of the partnership. He flew F4s is Vietnam, has had some incredible flying adventures, and has decided his aviation hobby is now winding down. I suspect he will still PIC, just not in a turboprop. One of the very few pilots I have met with literally no ego.  

I was able to get a new insurance quote with just the 68 year old and myself. Much more reasonable, and the coverage and training times are right back in line with what was expected.

I'm a little concerned with the TT on the plane, over 6000hrs, but the price is right in line with the TT.

The engine has been "trend monitored" since conversion, and recently had a hot inspection done. So I feel good there. Interior and paint are both in good shape. The panel is glass with steam backups, so good there. The plane is getting out of an annual now, no major squawks.

This is looking like it could work. If so, this will check-off a big life goal of mine.

People have always asked me about ultimately getting into a jet. But there is something about a prop-plane, and the startup-whining of a turboprop, that has always satisfied my passion for flight, this JetProp will likely pacify me for some time.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The 78 year old has decided to bow out of the partnership. He flew F4s is Vietnam, has had some incredible flying adventures, and has decided his aviation hobby is now winding down. I suspect he will still PIC, just not in a turboprop. One of the very few pilots I have met with literally no ego.  

I was able to get a new insurance quote with just the 68 year old and myself. Much more reasonable, and the coverage and training times are right back in line with what was expected.

I'm a little concerned with the TT on the plane, over 6000hrs, but the price is right in line with the TT.

The engine has been "trend monitored" since conversion, and recently had a hot inspection done. So I feel good there. Interior and paint are both in good shape. The panel is glass with steam backups, so good there. The plane is getting out of an annual now, no major squawks.

This is looking like it could work. If so, this will check-off a big life goal of mine.

People have always asked me about ultimately getting into a jet. But there is something about a prop-plane, and the startup-whining of a turboprop, that has always satisfied my passion for flight, this JetProp will likely pacify me for some time.

View Quote

That’s awesome. A kerosene burner is definitely a bucket list item for me as well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:28:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

4000 hours left on the fuselage time in service is still 20+ years of flying at a good clip. It probably wouldn’t be feasible to keep it going past then and, if it is, I’m sure there will be a bulletin or similar to extend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top