Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2023 11:25:15 PM EDT
Are any of those monthly wine boxes worth a damn?
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the wine subscriptions coming out of CA are bulk wines bottled for that specific market. Some can be very good and be a good deal. A subscription can create a stockpile of wine pretty fast. So if you drink wine regularly find a subscription that suits your pallet. Red blends can be really good on a subscription.

Or, you can do what I do. Find a wine I like and join that wineries wine club. Build an inventory over a two year period then find another wine club to goin. I keep one wine club on at a time and usually have more than I can drink or gift away.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Find a winery you like with a varietal.you like and join their club. If you don't have one close you can find one.

We have a couple in California and locally.
We cellar most of the bottles for several years, it really makes the price you pay for specialty wines work out.  A bottle cellared for 6 to 8 years is amazing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Armida Poizin in Sonoma is fantastic
They have excellent Pinots too
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most of the wine subscriptions coming out of CA are bulk wines bottled for that specific market. Some can be very good and be a good deal. A subscription can create a stockpile of wine pretty fast. So if you drink wine regularly find a subscription that suits your pallet. Red blends can be really good on a subscription.

Or, you can do what I do. Find a wine I like and join that wineries wine club. Build an inventory over a two year period then find another wine club to goin. I keep one wine club on at a time and usually have more than I can drink or gift away.
View Quote

Gifts are also a solid reason to join a winery.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been trying First Leaf since the end of the year. I'm on my third shipment and so far I think I've only had one bottle that I didn't care for but even it wasn't horrible.

My only wish is that it was wine that I could get anywhere rather than only through FL.
Link Posted: 1/27/2023 10:36:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm definitely into reds and I like California cabs. Thanks all.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#9]
So I ended up signing up with Underground Cellar. I really like it so far in that it sort of works like massdrop used to work.  It's "real" wine unlike some of the subscription boxes and you can build your cellar and ship for free at 12 bottles. My first 12 bottles come out at an average of 20.50 and when I compare that to the price of the bottles at PA state stores, it's a significant savings.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top