Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2020 11:30:48 PM EDT
I just scored a pretty nice scholarship that will pay for a laptop and quite a bit of my degree program. What's the go-to gaming laptop for the rich kids these days? I've heard good things about Alienware's Area-51 but what others should I be looking at? I like the ASUS ROG Mothership design and its specs look similar to the Area-51 form what I can tell but that isn't saying a lot. I would much prefer a desktop as I already own a Microsoft Surface Pro for my go-to take everywhere with me computer but am limited to a laptop with my scholarship.

What other laptops should I look at, I imagine laptops don't get too much more expensive than $7k with all the upgrades ?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Asus or msi.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I personally would look for a custom laptop with a Clevo chassis.
They generally have a very nice screen and keyboard. Also, depending on the model/builder, they will sometimes have desktop grade parts in there.
I think some of the higher-end Maingear/Origin laptops use a Clevo chassis. Though, ASUS and MSI have some very nice offerings in the highend scene, I would probably lean more towards ASUS.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 12:01:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#5]
One with a big enough Heat Sink to actually be able to run the proc and GFX at full power for a few hours. The usual issue is that they get temp throttled on most laptops pretty quick.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#7]
The Most Powerful Laptop EVER!!! - XMG Apex 15

Both of my kids bought an Alienware M15, as well as my oldest stepson.
If I could only have one computer this would be it. - Alienware m15 Review
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd go Alienware.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 12:00:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd go Alienware.
View Quote
This.  I picked up an Alienware M15 R2 a few weeks ago from the Dell online outlet website.  i7-9750H Hex core, 16GB RAM, very fast 512GB NVME SSD, 1080P 144hz refresh screen, nVidia RTX 2070 Max-Q for $1800 shipped.  As New factory refurbished w/ standard warranty.  Would have cost me $500 more from the Dell website.  Don't just base your purchase on specs.  Yes, I could have gotten similar specs from another manufacturer, but build quality of this is leaps and bounds better than anything else I've seen from MSI, ASUS, etc.  The keyboard on this laptop is also fantastic.  That is a common weak spot on most laptops.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top