Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2021 4:20:52 PM EDT
Hi All,

I have been keeping my cigars in the Systema tupperware boxes for a couple of years.  They are airtight and I keep 2 of the CI black ice bead corner things in each.  I went to check them today when the monthly club arrived.

One of the boxes had a cigar that was looks white fuzz for about the last inch of the cigar.  This also happened to be the only unwrapped cigar in that container of about 40.

The second container has mostly pipe stuff.  Pipes, tobacco, tools, and pipe cleaner stuff.  Also the leather pipe pouch.  It also had a handful of wrapped cigars.  The pipe and pouch were covered in a white powder.  All of the cigars had powdery dots along their entire length.

So, why now, after a couple years?  And is there anything I can do?  The temp/ humidity inside the containers is about 65-70/ 65-70.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you certain it is mold and not plume aka bloom?
Take a look at google and see if plume is what you have and not mold.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks more like plume from the google images.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Plume is a myth.  It's always mold.

Mold Study
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I had some unwrapped cigars get moldy on me.
Was just on the tip at the foot. Looked like tiny spider webs.

That being said, the tastiest and one of the most pleasant cigar I've ever had was a 17 year old El Rey Mundo with plume on it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Mold Study
View Quote

Truth.  

It’s always mold.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Truth.  

It's always mold.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mold Study

Truth.  

It's always mold.  

This (pretty much always).

Get 65% or even 60% bovedas. I don't mean the whole vapor pressure argument, just with respect to mold, however, 70% is too high for my smoking preference anyways. There are two factors - the other is temperature. If you are in the high 70s temps. or above you need less humidity. In the low 80s you can get mold even at 65%.  The other thing is circulation - leave some space for air to move around. Wipe the mold off with a dry cloth/paper towel unless it has grown into the foot, in which case toss them. Wipe out the systemas with alcohol, let dry completely, refill. I keep a bed of spanish cedar shavings in the bottom which helps with circulation (and other good things), which you can probably find affordably on ebay from a woodworker who builds humidors.

ETA - also I would never keep my pipe stuff with cigars or in a humidor at all. 50% is much better for that stuff - I use jars for tobacco and keep pipes in cigar boxes with 50% bovedas (don't really need those here, but they can't hurt).
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Mold or not, i still smoke them.

Unless they are grey or green, then I would toss them. (luckily, i have not had one that was grey or green)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top