Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/29/2020 9:52:52 AM EDT
Local shop has this rifle, and we haven't been able to figure out what it is exactly.  Appears to be 7mm, but not sure of the exact chambering (assuming 7x57).  It's being sold as non-firing, as it seems to have a potential headspace issue....not sure what's been done to it, but doesn't seem to lock up fully.

Any guesses?  What's the likelihood of finding a replacement bolt assembly?  Looks like a Mauser of sorts, I'm assuming a 96.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Spanish Mauser
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe that is a Spanish 1916, originally chambered in 7mm but many of them were converted to 308 later on.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Could be a Spanish mauser
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]
What are the chances I can find a bolt assembly....cheaply??
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Numrich and Liberty Tree, but unless the rifle is free, you're still looking at $100 + for a bolt that may or may not work.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#7]
What's wrong with the bolt that's in it?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#8]
That's what concerns me...how much would the rifle potentially be worth in perfect firing condition?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Just look on eBay.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#10]
It's a Spanish Mauser as was said. That one is in 7.62x51 NATO (OT prefix serial number).
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:18:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Numrich and Liberty Tree, but unless the rifle is free, you're still looking at $100 + for a bolt that may or may not work.
View Quote

Yep.  .308 bolts go for $100-$150

It might not fix the headspace issue.

OP, just go look for and buy another one.  They are relatively common.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's what concerns me...how much would the rifle potentially be worth in perfect firing condition?
View Quote
$250-$400  Spanish Mausers aren't super sought after.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#13]
How can they check headspace if they don't know the chambering? Maybe headspace is fine for .308?

Nevermind. I thought you said it DID lock up.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I believe that is a Spanish 1916, originally chambered in 7mm but many of them were converted to 308 later on.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:50:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Numrich is closed @ the moment b/c NY restrictions.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

I have a .308 example.

If that one has a headspace issue, you could always drop the coin to get a Rhineland Arms caliber conversion kit.  Would be neat in 7.62x39, 9mm, or .45 ACP.  I'm always on the lookout for an inexpensive ragged out Mauser for that reason.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#17]
What exactly leads you to believe you need a new bolt?

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.
That rifle looks tits. Did you check the headspace with a 308 gauge?
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's a Spanish Mauser as was said. That one is in 7.62x51 NATO (OT prefix serial number).
View Quote

And is the base that the FR7 was built off of...

I've never heard of an actual problem,  but some say that 7.62*51 exceeds the limits of that action. Meaning that juiced commercial .308 is worse.

OP, some sloppily produced guns can close on a no go but still pass the field gauge test I'm not sure if this is one of them, or if it's truly screwed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
I think he said it doesn't fully lock up.  But you are correct.  Regardless it should be gauged with the correct gauge.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This.

I have a .308 example.

If that one has a headspace issue, you could always drop the coin to get a Rhineland Arms caliber conversion kit.  Would be neat in 7.62x39, 9mm, or .45 ACP.  I'm always on the lookout for an inexpensive ragged out Mauser for that reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This.

I have a .308 example.

I do too.  I prefer shooting the 7mm though.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think he said it doesn't fully lock up.  But you are correct.  Regardless it should be gauged with the correct gauge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I take that to mean that the bolt doesn't close all the way.  In the pics it looks like the bolt handle is against the stock.  

I'm not familiar with that rifle but that stock looks pristine.  Maybe a re-stock and the cut out isn't deep enough?

Just spitballing, but i'd do more investigation before throwing parts at it.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:21:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've never heard of an actual problem,  but some say that 7.62*51 exceeds the limits of that action. Meaning that juiced commercial .308 is worse.

OP, some sloppily produced guns can close on a no go but still pass the field gauge test I'm not sure if this is one of them, or if it's truly screwed.
View Quote
considering 7.62 and 308 have the same max pressure it's not a big deal.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought a Spanish Mauser for $299 in 8mm. I've heard the 308 conversions have issues. I would just get another one.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Here Is an article written on this very topic.

ETA:  Don't think I've ever seen a converted one with a blue bolt, most of the converted ones are in the white or plated with something that gives them that appearance.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I actually have an FR8...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I picked up the 1916, and it is definitely a .308....I'll post a few pics, and go into more detail a little later.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Since it didn't lock up, did you check the chamber for a piece of seperated brass, lodges in the chamber?   It's a pretty common occurrence.

FWIW
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Ok, here are a few more details...now that I've foolishly bought the rifle and brought it home.

The most immediate issue I've noticed is the bolt isn't locking up solidly.  Meaning, with the bolt closed and the safety "off", you can still feel side to side play with the bolt.  There isn't any rearwax movement, but you can physically rattle the bolt around with it closed.  Issue #2, it appears someone has filed down the tip of the firing pin...still can't figure that one out, unless they were simply doing it to keep the rifle from firing.  Makes sense, if there is a lockup/headspacing problem.

The chamber does show some marks, but they look superficial....I can't get a small wire to drag on them.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:40:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ok, here are a few more details...now that I've foolishly bought the rifle and brought it home.

The most immediate issue I've noticed is the bolt isn't locking up solidly.  Meaning, with the bolt closed and the safety "off", you can still feel side to side play with the bolt.  There isn't any rearwax movement, but you can physically rattle the bolt around with it closed.  Issue #2, it appears someone has filed down the tip of the firing pin...still can't figure that one out, unless they were simply doing it to keep the rifle from firing.  Makes sense, if there is a lockup/headspacing problem.
View Quote

I looked at my FR-7. When the bolt is forward and locked, but without the trigger being set, yes the bolt will wiggle r to l a bit. But when the trigger is charged, there is almost most no movement. IMO it's not an issue, but an observation.

At the moment I would be concerned about the face of the bolt being ground. Ebay had a vendor for cemte parts at one time.

And it's fine with standard ammo, mil surplus or common commercial loads.

PS; get a bayonet, while they're still considered surplus.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#31]
The grinding on the bolt face is concerning.

Could have been very pitted from leaking primers.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#32]
The grinding of the bolt face is very superficial, and my fingernail doesn't "drag" running across the face.  I just can't imagine why the firing pin was ground down flat, is almost as though it was done to be flush with the bolt face.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The grinding of the bolt face is very superficial, and my fingernail doesn't "drag" running across the face.  I just can't imagine why the firing pin was ground down flat, is almost as though it was done to be flush with the bolt face.
View Quote
Maybe to keep it from piercing primers?  No idea, just a guess.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:11:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't think it will even contace a primer the way it is flattened now...
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Previous owner wanted a full auto
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Receiver stretch

I have a Turk Mauser like that

I think it is very unsafe to shoot

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#37]
You should get a sticker for the stock that says “Sponsored  by Birchwood  Casey Cold Blue.”
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Receiver stretch

View Quote

Makes sense.

I just checked my FR8, and I have almost very little perceptible movement with the safety "ON", and virtually none in the "OFF" position...on the 1916, it is absolutely noticeable.  

Looks like this one may become an interesting wall hanger.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#39]
My guess is that at some point, for some reason, someone determined that rifle was unsafe to shoot.

Then they Dremelled down the firing pin while it was still in the bolt in an attempt to deactivate the gun. That would explain the grinding on the bolt face and the filed down firing pin.

Proceed with caution, OP.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:20:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My guess is that at some point, for some reason, someone determined that rifle was unsafe to shoot.
View Quote

I think you are correct.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Firing pin hole might have been thought to be too large. Someone welded and redrilled it to have a tighter fitting firing pin. This would also explain the altered firing pin.

Maybe. Maybe not.

This would prevent primer issues of modern higher pressure loads by providing more support to the primer.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:38:18 PM EDT
[#42]
If it is in fact receiver stretch, which seems logical, guess that means no .45 ACP conversion....
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#43]
If need be, OP.....

A 5-pack of barreled receivers.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:50:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If need be, OP.....

View Quote

It would be great if you could luck into a decent barreled receiver, as I'd honestly prefer a 7x57!
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It would be great if you could luck into a decent barreled receiver, as I'd honestly prefer a 7x57!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If need be, OP.....

I'll have to look for it, but I watched a video on youtube recently where someone ordered the 5-pack, and lucked out, getting some decent parts (or what I'd consider decent, anyway). They'd need a bit of cleanup, but honestly weren't all that bad.

ETA: Found it. He ended up scoring 5 bolts as a bonus.

Unboxing a Spanish Mauser Mystery Box
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:00:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. The action is an 1895, not an 98 Mauser.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'll have to look for it, but I watched a video on youtube recently where someone ordered the 5-pack, and lucked out, getting some decent parts (or what I'd consider decent, anyway). They'd need a bit of cleanup, but honestly weren't all that bad.

ETA: Found it. He ended up scoring 5 bolts as a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kv5W6JZ7AU
View Quote

The video gives hope, but the ad itself doesn't make it seem like they come with much other than 5x barreled actions...I may call them on Monday, and see if they all include bolts.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:  If it is in fact receiver stretch, which seems logical, guess that means no .45 ACP conversion....
View Quote

While you might not want to shoot .308 in it, or even 7x57mm, .45 ACP is far lower pressure with far lower bolt thrust.  It's in fact an ideal cartridge for old, tired receivers.  Carry on, OP.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

While you might not want to shoot .308 in it, or even 7x57mm, .45 ACP is far lower pressure with far lower bolt thrust.  It's in fact an ideal cartridge for old, tired receivers.  Carry on, OP.
View Quote

Hmmm, that gives me a little hope.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

@jason280

You cant just buy a bolt assy for a mauser and expect it to work. They were fit to the gun at the factory. If you buy one, it may not close all the way, or you might get excessive headspace and experience case head failures.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top