Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2021 10:44:29 PM EDT
Stepson has flat feet and asthma. Is this an automatic 4F?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Back in the day, yes, today, anything goes.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell them he identifies as a tranny, problem solved
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tell them he identifies as a tranny, problem solved
View Quote

Fuck
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:08:18 PM EDT
[#4]
It's 2021. Anything is possible. Talk to a recruiter.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:18:05 PM EDT
[#5]
https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/dodi/613003p.pdf

Short answer, probably out of luck.  Asthma requiring treatment after the 13th birthday would require a waiver, which he’d be unlikely to get.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a waver for flat feet.  Don't know about asthma.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Back in the day, yes, today, anything goes.
View Quote

Lolno. Asthma is a disqualifying condition.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Army recruiter here.

Flat feet: no, that is not a disqualifying condition.

Asthma: depends. Current regulation says “no history of prescribed asthma medication for past 24 months.” Also, he will need a Pulmonary Functions Test and a Methacoline Challenge to prove to the MEPS doctors that he can physically survive training.
If he still needs an inhaler every day, would you ever want him to be without it? Because he cannot have it during basic or AIT. If he gets diagnosed with asthma while he’s already in, with no previous history? Different story.

Any other questions, please feel free to DM me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a guy on the ship that had a waiver for asthma AND a letter from an elected official to his family doctor in his medical record. Comes to sickbay one night underway and he is wheezing a little. I start a treatment and call the medical officer (real doctor). About that time another guy comes in to tell me that waiver guy was running up and down main deck TRYING to induce an asthma attack. Long story short don't make him go or he might use it as a crutch if things get shitty.

I was at MEPS and the million year old doctor asked me if my feet hurt. I say no and he asked me what branch I wanted. He said your feet are flat as hell and I won't let you go in the Army or Marines. I didn't need a waiver though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I had bronchitis. Told my recruiter. He told me I don't have bronchitis, and not to admit I did. In fact, at MEPS she asked me if I have never been sick in my life, I told her nope, never.

Did two enlistments.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had bronchitis. Told my recruiter. He told me I don't have bronchitis, and not to admit I did. In fact, at MEPS she asked me if I have never been sick in my life, I told her nope, never.

Did two enlistments.
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Depends how bad he wants it and what he says in MEPS.

I had childhood asthma. It would have been an automatic disqualifier. Neglected to mention it at MEPS. Didn't stop me from enlisting, passing RASP and doing three deployments in Regiment...

I never had any asthma related problems as an adult. Obviously wouldn't reccomend it if he has actual asthma attacks and uses an inhaler regularly. He could, you know, drop dead during a PT death run.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:05:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Pes Planus. Other than ending OSUT in a cast, never gave me problems. No asthma though.

<--- Infantry
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:10:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Went in the Army in 88, flat feet weren't a problem.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:53:29 AM EDT
[#15]
If you don't have flat feet going in you will have them getting out.

I'd hit up the local recruiting station and have a chat over a cup of joe.  What does he have to lose?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Only one way to find out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top