Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2021 10:00:50 PM EDT
I went through Rick Partlows Wholesale Slaughter series, excellent.  I just finished Glory Boys and while the narrator was not my favorite the book was damn good as well.

Anyone that has read/listened to Glory Boys have any recommendations on another series like that one?

I’m on Book 5 of Drop Troopers but would like to find another author of the same genre.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Been on a buying binge in search of military Sci-fi as well, below are some of the ones I've bought recently but haven't read as well as some that I've read. Can't really go wrong with any of David Drake's sci-fi books, haven't read any of his fantasy series but that's not pertinent to this thread. Hopefully the list helps,

Hammer's Slammers by David Drake

Gaunt's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett (set in Warhammer 40,000 universe)

Outriders and Sungrazer by Jay Posey (I just started reading Outriders, seems decent so far)

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein

Armor by John Steakley

Stark's War by John G Hemry (pseudonym for Jack Campell who wrote The Lost Fleet Series) first book of a trilogy

The Sun Eater series by Christopher Ruocchio (bought the first book, haven't read it yet)

The Wrong Stars by Tim Pratt

Prador Moon by Neal Asher

Starfist series by by David Sherman and Dan Cragg (read some of the books a long time ago.)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

The Forever War by Joe Halderman

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:34:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I really loved Armor.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Some older stuff off the top of my head.

Falkenberg's Legion (The Prince), Heorot, and Janissaries series and alot of various other books - Jerry Pournelle
The War World series - Various Authors
There will be War series - Various Authors
Honorverse, Empire of Man, Safehold, and Starfire series - David Weber
Familias Regnant universe, Vatta's War/Peace, and Planet Pirates series - Elizabeth Moon
The Brain & Brawn Ship, The Dinosaur Planet, and Planet Pirates series - Anne McCaffrey
THE LEGION OF THE DAMNED and THE AMERICA RISING series -  William C. Dietz
Forbidden Borders and Way of Spider series - W. Michael Gear
Fallen Dragon and the rest of his series - Peter F. Hamilton
Dorsai (Childe Cycle) series - Gordon R. Dickson
Draka and General series - S. M. Stirling
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:41:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Ghost Fleet.

Near Future (2040?) WW3, includes multiple plausible Sci-Fi features, along with wonderful characters and pretty brutal action. I love this book, have re-read it now 3-4 times, something I hardly do.

https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Fleet-Novel-Next-World/dp/054470505X/

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the recommendation for Ghost Fleet.
I started the audiobook on my commute today and had to sit in the parking for 10m to get to a chapter end.

I’ve enjoyed the Frontlines series by Marko Kloos.
Attachment Attached File

There’s a 7th novel that I’ve heard isn’t as good as the rest, but I’ll give it a chance when the audiobook comes out.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the recommendation for Ghost Fleet.
I started the audiobook on my commute today and had to sit in the parking for 10m to get to a chapter end.

View Quote

Awesome, glad to hear that.

Some pretty wild stuff happens in the book, so expect more of that.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Try David Drake's Lt Leary series, along with his Hammers Slammers. Basically all of his stuff.

Love the characters, love the action, but ignore the tech. Computers are magic that do whatever he needs them to do, technology is just a means to push the story along, so just ignore it. Otherwise it gets annoying.

RickR
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a good running list now.  I forgot about Armor.  I started reading that years ago and set it down and forgot about it.

I finished my last drop trooper book early and on a whim picked up JN Chaney's The Last Reaper, Book 1.  The narrator is excellent.  He does a great job of expressing the sarcasm of the main character.  Nothing about power armor or mechs but a great book in the sci-fi genre.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#9]
www.galaxysedge.us

Lots of books. Lots of action. Lots of pop culture references. Lots of not so subtle political commentary.

You can read the books chronologically or in the order recommended by the authors.

I am about 2/3rds through them right now and I am enjoying them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I really loved Armor.
View Quote

That's reminds me. About time to reread it...again
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:17:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
 I forgot about Armor.  I started reading that years ago and set it down and forgot about it.

View Quote

I'm out. >click<

If you have an Audible sub, Armor is part of the Audible+ program.
You can listen to it for free.

And looks like Ray Porter is the narrator for The Last Reaper, he also does an incredible job on the Bobiverse books.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
www.galaxysedge.us

Lots of books. Lots of action. Lots of pop culture references. Lots of not so subtle political commentary.

You can read the books chronologically or in the order recommended by the authors.

I am about 2/3rds through them right now and I am enjoying them.
View Quote

The Galaxy's Edge stuff is really good. Wait till you hit the Savage Wars trilogy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:44:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Ranks of Bronze by David Drake and it's sequels by Drake and Weber. Not the usual fare but very good.

https://www.amazon.com/Ranks-Bronze-3-Book/dp/B016QAD5M2
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I’ve enjoyed the Frontlines series by Marko Kloos.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3053/6B4DAB2D-2B7D-43A5-86E0-094DA78E2CF2_jpe-1792287.JPG
There’s a 7th novel that I’ve heard isn’t as good as the rest, but I’ll give it a chance when the audiobook comes out.
View Quote

Highly recommended Marko Kloos.  His new series the Palladium Wars is also very promising, 2 books out now.  

John Ringo's Troy and Posleen War series.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Old Man's War by John Scalzi

The Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:09:21 PM EDT
[#16]
B.V. Larson's Undying Mercenaries series is a hell of a lot of fun
here
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#17]
The Expanse books and TV shows are both very good.  It has a lot of politics etc, not just action, but the space action is fantastic, lots of interesting ideas.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Galaxy's Edge stuff is really good. Wait till you hit the Savage Wars trilogy.
View Quote

@sheepdog324  I do live galaxy edge.  Need to get a KTF patch for my PC.  

Op, I just started on the Dune series.  That should keep you occupied for a while.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I never got into John Ringo’s posleen series.

But I did get into his council wars series.

Also while you’re there, it’s not really sci-fi but check out his “ghost” series and “the last centurion”

Oh and yes. The expanse.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Lots of good recommendations in here.

I'll add

Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lots of good recommendations in here.

I'll add

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91BJvyFwZPL.jpg
View Quote

Excellent book.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's reminds me. About time to reread it...again
View Quote

Always thrilled to see Steakley still getting some attention.  I ran his website for 14+ years, and if he'd lived to finish the sequel there would have been a character named after me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Have you tried the Galaxy's Edge series by Anspach and Cole?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have you tried the Galaxy's Edge series by Anspach and Cole?
View Quote

Really dig this series and am waiting on the next installment. cole also just released " Strange Company" I really enjoyed it as well. It's very Black Company-esque.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Double Tap!
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Double
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#27]
At an airport right now and taking a long trip.

Armor ages well? I haven't read for pleasure in ages.

I used to read the hell out of chrichton, Dan brown, koontz,  Tolkien etc, but would not mind checking our a new genre. Kindle unlimited if that matters.  

Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/25/2021 1:25:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
At an airport right now and taking a long trip.

Armor ages well? I haven't read for pleasure in ages.

I used to read the hell out of chrichton, Dan brown, koontz,  Tolkien etc, but would not mind checking our a new genre. Kindle unlimited if that matters.  

Thanks!

View Quote

He drank alone. Which was odd since he didn't have trouble with people. He had always managed to make acquaintances without much effort. And, despite what had happened, he still liked people. Recently, he had even grown to miss them again. Yet here he was, drinking alone.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Armor is a great book.  I listened to it on Audible last year and still loved it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#30]
The Four Horsemen Universe is pretty entertaining. Funny and lots of action. It's in the vein of "Universe introduced to humans and find out we're way more violent and creative than anything they've seen" scifi. There are a crapload of books following the different merc outfits into trouble.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I really loved Armor.
View Quote

me too,  read that and Chickenhawk about the same time.

I googled Mil Sci-fi and chose The Destroyermen series by taylor anderson.

the first book started good and then went to page skipping at the end.  a co-worker said it picks up again because author didn't know if it was gonna be a series or not.  I fear its a bit more drama than fight, struggle, shit blowing up, H2H, Winning....

I would like more fight like Armor.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#32]
John Ringo- any and all
Jason Anspach and nick cole- galaxy's edge series- space legion ( marines!) With just a touch of star wars feel.
Same author- wayward galaxy series. KTF!

Rick partlow- Earth at War Series- rikktikk writes a space combat books in the style of 80's action movies with hilarious results.

Craig Alanson- expeditionary force series - space army meets shiney beercan popculture obsessed sized AI with hilarious results.

Joshua Dalzelle -omega force ( guardians of the galaxy vibe), terrain scout fleet series (space rangers!)

Bobby Adair- freedoms fire series

Travis j.i. Cochran - aristillus - libertarian independence type space Sci-Fi

MICHAEL Z WILLIAMSON- Freehold series, libertarian independence and fight for freedom in space and on the ground. Some erie silimiarities to today's political climate in the first book

Terry mixion-  empire of bones saga - future kingdom fights to free Earth from AI

Already mentioned
Marko kloos- excellent!
David sherman, Daniel craig-STARFIST series
David drake - hammers slammers, empire of man- bratty prince crashlands on alien planet and had to March ao
Round the globe with his marine  contingent and becomes a true leader in the process. Covers  lasers to H2H to muskets.

David webber- several lengthy series that are all good in their own way

AVOID
Glynn Stewart- leftist trash with increasingly Mary Sue bipocittia!÷2 characters

B.V Larson - Literally cookie cutter books. Several books plot lines were identical down to the page number as to when the characters is betrayed or xyz thing happens. Only thing that changed was location. Read the first three and you have read every book in the 20+ book series
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Always thrilled to see Steakley still getting some attention.  I ran his website for 14+ years, and if he'd lived to finish the sequel there would have been a character named after me.
View Quote

He drank alone.  :)

did I say that already?
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

me too,  read that and Chickenhawk about the same time.

I googled Mil Sci-fi and chose The Destroyermen series by taylor anderson.

the first book started good and then went to page skipping at the end.  a co-worker said it picks up again because author didn't know if it was gonna be a series or not.  I fear its a bit more drama than fight, struggle, shit blowing up, H2H, Winning....

I would like more fight like Armor.
View Quote
There's a formula to writing those kinds of books (like Destroyermen).  Bad guy in Book 1 will be a good guy by Book 3, only to betray the heroes by Book 5.  Good guys will introduce technology at a ridiculous and absurd pace, and the natives/primitives go from bows and swords to fighter planes and tanks in 3-5 years.  There's a guy on the good guy team who has worked in any possible industry, and it doesn't matter that a guy only swept the floor in a steel mill, he knows everything about producing steel from mining iron ore to pouring molten steel into molds.

The Destroyermen series is VERY similar to a series by William Forstchen called The Lost Regiment, where a civil war era regiment is transported to another world where humans are farmed for food by huge monstrous humanoids.  Lost Regiment is even more ridiculous, though, in that the good guys raise the technology level way past even what they were familiar with.  And yet, like a soap opera, once you accept that it's going to be predictable, you can actually enjoy it.

Anyhow, Armor is a special book.  Steakley had an uncanny ability to write action that put you right into it, describing action in a way so visceral that it was easy to almost feel like it was happening to you.  God bless, Steakley. Miss you!

BTW, I am sitting 5 feet away from Steakley's handwritten notes from when he was outlining Armor right now.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 6:50:04 PM EDT
[#35]
The Forlorn Hope by David Drake

They had fought long and hard, and damn near won in spite of everything. But now the men who hired them are going to sell them to the enemy...and so begins a novel of adventure in which a band of Star Mercenaries is driven across the face of a planet by enemies bent on their destruction. With only the guns in their hands, this tiny band must battle ships, artillery, treachery, and the most powerful tank in the universe

Link Posted: 8/15/2021 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They had fought long and hard, and damn near won in spite of everything. But now the men who hired them are going to sell them to the enemy...and so begins a novel of adventure in which a band of Star Mercenaries is driven across the face of a planet by enemies bent on their destruction. With only the guns in their hands, this tiny band must battle ships, artillery, treachery, and the most powerful tank in the universe

View Quote

That's one of the few David Drake books I like.  He's a very good writer, it's just I didn't care for the Hammer's Slammers universe.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#37]
If you like audiobooks, The Crypt by Scott Sigler is good. Kind of a short story anthology about the crew for a secret ship so deadly that only 20% of people make it off. Alien tech, submarines in space, mechs, and lots more. The author is working on the sequel.
I got it through scribl.com and Player FM, the podcast app I use.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's fun with Drake books is trying to guess which bit of history he's used as the framework for the book you're reading, and if you don't know, digging into the real events just for fun.  Forlorn Hope has a historical background, and it's science fiction, but damn, it was one of the first things I thought of when I started reading @hoody2shoez epic thread.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
B.V. Larson's Undying Mercenaries series is a hell of a lot of fun
here
View Quote

This

I love Rick's stuff and B.V. Larson's as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:55:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 12:31:47 AM EDT
[#41]
This one is not only a good Military SF read, it's just a plain good read that hits the feels, and in my top ten or even top five all-time Military SF books list.

Redliners by David Drake.

ETA: Did I mention it's a free title on Kindle and through Baen books?
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 1:56:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Turtledove hasn't been mentioned.

World at War series is the stuff that I love.   Alien invasion in a contemporary world setting.

Unfortunately the follow-up series wasn't as good.

I really love alternate history type stuff.    The Destroyermen and The Lost Regiment type stuff too.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Not exactly what is being looked for, but a good book I found is Fair Trade: An Alien Invasion Story. It's also a Kindle Unlimited book, free if you have a subscription.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 5:44:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Turtledove hasn't been mentioned.

World at War series is the stuff that I love.   Alien invasion in a contemporary world setting.

Unfortunately the follow-up series wasn't as good.

I really love alternate history type stuff.    The Destroyermen and The Lost Regiment type stuff too.
View Quote

That and alternate universe stories are my favorites.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#45]
I just finished Holy Ground by Evan Currie. It's a pretty good read. Chinese alliance attacks US and Japan in the future. Sets up the story for his Odyssey One series.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Check out “Deathworlders” by Phillip R. Johnson.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Old Man's War by John Scalzi

The Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell

View Quote

I'm reading the Lost Fleet right now.

Good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Check out “Deathworlders” by Phillip R. Johnson.
View Quote

Is that just a web serial?
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#49]
A few more...................

Most anything by Tom Kratman.  If nothing else, read the first two; "A Desert Called Peace" books.  There's a series but you can read these two as a stand alone, or dig much deeper with the rest of them.

Not exactly military but close enough, the VERY good......."The Man Who Never Missed" series, by Steve Perry.

The "Belisarius" series by Drake and Flint.  An absolutely thundering multi book story about time travel, the late Roman empire, far ranging military action and more.

Mark Wandry's "A time To Die" three book series.

Robert Conroy has written a number of alternative history military novels.

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Been on a buying binge in search of military Sci-fi as well, below are some of the ones I've bought recently but haven't read as well as some that I've read. Can't really go wrong with any of David Drake's sci-fi books, haven't read any of his fantasy series but that's not pertinent to this thread. Hopefully the list helps,

Hammer's Slammers by David Drake

Gaunt's Ghosts series by Dan Abnett (set in Warhammer 40,000 universe)

Outriders and Sungrazer by Jay Posey (I just started reading Outriders, seems decent so far)

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein

Armor by John Steakley

Stark's War by John G Hemry (pseudonym for Jack Campell who wrote The Lost Fleet Series) first book of a trilogy

The Sun Eater series by Christopher Ruocchio (bought the first book, haven't read it yet)

The Wrong Stars by Tim Pratt

Prador Moon by Neal Asher

Starfist series by by David Sherman and Dan Cragg (read some of the books a long time ago.)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

The Forever War by Joe Halderman

View Quote

Actually,  Jack Campbell is the pseudonym of John G Hemry.

Vulcan94
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top