Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2022 7:18:40 PM EDT
I have a old forestry truck and I'm just sick of the puke green. I am think on using aervoe rattle cans to paint it. I'm cheap and don't want to spend for regular paint job. I've used aervoe rattle cans on guns but not on large surfaces like a truck. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with it or should i just use krylon cammo.  
I know people will disagree with this but Im frugal and don't mind driving old stuff the way it is. Also I can't use a paint sprayer since I don't have a air compressor or paint booth.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd be concerned about that fake hood scope,, I think paint looks good.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't do it. Your truck looks fine. Spray paint will look ok  for a couple of days.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Here you go.
Same stuff I used when I bought and sold surplus vehicles. Rattle Can or gun, it can look the same.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd be concerned about that fake hood scope,, I think paint looks good.
View Quote
Oh I am i hate it and its coming off when I do this
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I did this with exterior latex house paint from home depot. The mouth and eyes I did with masking tape and a brush. I got furloughed when Covid started and needed a project

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/23/2022 8:09:16 PM EDT
[#6]
What I did to touch mine up
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I need a new hood and ill paint that green  but leave the bumpers abs grill black. I like the solid od green and black trim look
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I did this with exterior latex house paint from home depot. The mouth and eyes I did with masking tape and a brush. I got furloughed when Covid started and needed a project

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/152886/covid-19_2_jpg-2290648.JPG
View Quote
Did you spary or roll
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Did you spary or roll
View Quote
Sprayed it with a harbor freight HVLP gun.

You can get the government colors at home depot, they can mix it with the 5 digit federal standard number https://www.federalstandardcolor.com/ The first digit is the finish type 1=gloss 2=semi-gloss and 3=flat

ETA: I had them mix up several in the small sample size and ended up using 34089

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 10:16:09 AM EDT
[#10]
What you need is raptor line. It’s a lot more scratch resistant.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What you need is raptor line. It's a lot more scratch resistant.
View Quote
I have sprayed it before but I don't have a facility for it right now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 12:51:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have sprayed it before but I don't have a facility for it right now.
View Quote

I sprayed my DD with raptor liner in my driveway. Bought a pancake and $200 worth of liner and the gun from Amazon.

Put down some plastic, tape off, go nuts.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't paint, use a vinyl wrap.

It will probably cost more than a few rattle cans but if it starts to look like shit in a few years you can peel it off.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 2:34:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Wrap is 2k

Neighbors are close like 20ft away...
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#15]
My fence was 6 feet from the end of my driveway. The raptor is heavy, doesn’t go far
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Man. I’d be worried about that spare coming off at 65 on the highway and taking out some random driver.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Rapco if you want to match military colors
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Man. I’d be worried about that spare coming off at 65 on the highway and taking out some random driver.
View Quote

It's a good thing I don't drive it on the highway
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#19]
A lot of the military vehicle owners repaint using Behr Marquee Exterior Flat paint.  I have seen the results and even 5 years later the paint looks great.

Harbor Freight cheap electric sprayer - $20-30
2 gallons of the paint (depending on size of truck) - $48 per gallon, but sometimes on sale for 40% off
Masking tape, paper and sanding materials - $30 for decent quality stuff

Take care of any major dents and rust, make sure you get a good scuff on the entire vehicle and then degrease and paint.  After you spray, pull the truck in the garage and let it sit for a week or more so the paint can cure properly.  The results will be pretty durable.

I am just waiting for the paint to go on sale, I have everything else and will be painting my truck with this paint once the weather warms up and dries out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 6:42:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I know you don't like it but I think that FS green is pretty cool on that truck.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
I think I'm just gona embrace the forestry green with black. I cleaned up the rock chips with undercoating. I'm kinda thinking about pocket fender flares and getting rid of the trim and chrome
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:58:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I used a cheap electric sprayer on my land cruiser FJ40 when I was in collage forever ago. Sprayed the entire surface with a flat earthtone then added the other colors by rattle can. When the rattle can began to wear off, the earthtone was still underneath so it didn't look bad.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 2:42:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Gillespie CARC . I've used a gun and their cans on many vehicles.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Jut remember one thing.

True military CARC paint is very hazardous and cancer causing stuff. When I was in the Army we were never allowed to spray it without a dedicated spray booth and all of the proper personal protection equipment. We were only allowed to do small touch up jobs using a brush.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Forest service green sure looks better than the white that they are using currently
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:59:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Go to Youtube.

Type "how to paint camouflage" into the search.

See whet others have done, how they did it, the results, what paint they used, etc.

Example......

how to paint digital camo 1

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top