Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2022 7:05:23 PM EDT
Thinking about getting a mig machine for speed.  I have a Lincoln tig that I’m happy with.  

Are all the Lincoln 180 migs the same and just marked as different for various vendors?  The interweb seems to indicate that is the case.  

What about a Hobart 210?  I like the 120/240 capability of the 210 but it’s more expensive.  I don’t really have a need for 120 capability but it seems like it would be nice to have.  

A 140 amp machine is enough for my use, but the Lincoln/Hobart 140 are maybe $200 cheaper than their larger 189/190 so that doesn’t seem worth it.  
I avoid china stuff whenever possible, but there is a clearance on a a Vulcan 140 mig now… $350.  Should I even consider that?  
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a Hobart 140 for a long time, it was the first welder I ever bought and had no 220 plugs available.

For what it was, it was decent.

I've since moved on to a miller 175 machine and will never consider another 110v unit.  It's just so much nicer and capable, but you got to have 220 service.

A friend also has a handler 140 and it's been giving him problems.  I think miller is my favorite right now.

ETA: now that I'm thinking about it, the final straw for my Hobart was you couldn't weld very long with it before it would shut down, I think it was a duty cycle thing.  4 foot long weld continuous would definitely cycle it off.

I welded a 30 foot table with the miller almost all at once and never experienced any problems.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Any input on a Power mig 175?  Looks to be an older transformer machine?  Came across a used one for $450, seems like a decent deal?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
If you come across one I've had a Millermatic 210 since 2003 I've never felt the need for more. I believe it was replaced by a 211 don't know what that model would currently be though.

I was trying a Miller 350p tonight, on both the spray and pulse settings and I'll have to say that's a pretty nice machine. I don't need it but would be tempted if I saw a nice used one for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Do yourself a favor and save up to get a 220V welder, you will be happier with the performance of a 220V welder over a 110V welder. With 220V you will have better heat control and more importantly a higher duty cycle. I have a Hobart Handler 140 and it is fine for light and small jobs. I would not want to use it for any bigger jobs though.

The lower the duty cycle is, the shorter amount of time you have to weld continuously with it and the longer amount of time in between ends to let it cool back down.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 11:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I've also got a Hobart handler 140.  For what I bought it for, it's great. Auto body rust repair on a classic vehicle, artistic shenanigans, and low stress fab work. I've never maxed out the duty cycle on it.....but it's never welded on anything regularly other than 16ga sheet metal
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've also got a Hobart handler 140.  For what I bought it for, it's great. Auto body rust repair on a classic vehicle, artistic shenanigans, and low stress fab work. I've never maxed out the duty cycle on it.....but it's never welded on anything regularly other than 16ga sheet metal
View Quote

The Hobart Handler 140 works well for light duty stuff like auto body repair. And most people can get away with a 110V MIG welder if that is all they ever plan on welding. I originally bought my Handler 140 for that exact reason.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Got back home today from 3 months traveling for work, I got a flyer about Hobart handler 190 being on sale at northern tool for $800.  Have a northern tool just a couple miles away with one in stock.  Timing seems too good to be true….  It’s 240v only but I can live with that, otherwise it seems perfect for what I want it for.  Any input?
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thinking about getting a mig machine for speed.  I have a Lincoln tig that I’m happy with.  

Are all the Lincoln 180 migs the same and just marked as different for various vendors?  The interweb seems to indicate that is the case.  

What about a Hobart 210?  I like the 120/240 capability of the 210 but it’s more expensive.  I don’t really have a need for 120 capability but it seems like it would be nice to have.  

A 140 amp machine is enough for my use, but the Lincoln/Hobart 140 are maybe $200 cheaper than their larger 189/190 so that doesn’t seem worth it.  
I avoid china stuff whenever possible, but there is a clearance on a a Vulcan 140 mig now… $350.  Should I even consider that?  
View Quote

This has been asked ALOT.

Here's a link to the previous threads.....

Previously discussed MIG machine threads

Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:09:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out Everlast welders, cheaper than red and blue stuff. Not sure how they are in comparison to Hobart though. I have an Everlast tig welder and so far it's been great. If I would have bought a welder with the same features from Miller I probably would have paid almost twice as much. Everlast also has a lot of multi process machines too if that's your thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top