Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2023 5:50:22 PM EDT
I ran across someone today who wanted to install Microsoft Remote Desktop on their Mac.   It's running Sierra.   Are there any old archives that go that far back where I can find a safe version?
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
it should be listed in the App store
View Quote
It's there, but requires a newer version of MacOS than they can upgrade to.  I think it said 10.14 and they're 10.12 Sierra.  Supposedly from what I looked up they might be able to go to 10.13 High Sierra, but it doesn't show an option in the app store when I check upgrades.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Why are they wanting that specific application?

MacOS already has both a client and server VNC built in.
if that's not feature rich enough, the reason MS abandoned their app is because ARD (Apple Remote Desktop) has everything anyone would need (baring some odd edge case).
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

if that's not feature rich enough, the reason MS abandoned their app is because ARD (Apple Remote Desktop) has everything anyone would need (baring some odd edge case).
View Quote

Are we talking about the same thing?  Microsoft Remote Desktop on the app store shows to have been updated a week or so ago.  Maybe you're thinking about the older remote desktop app (which was abandoned)?

I presume he is remoting in to Windows Servers.  

A quick glance at ARD on the App Store and it appears it's only for MacOS or possibly VNC?
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]
i have a late 2019 macbook pro and when i attempt to run remote desktop on more than a single monitor it slows to a crawl. the problem with rdp for windows on the mac is it has to draw the entire screen, thus will be a massive draw on the video card. unless he’s got a small screen laptop, the juice ain’t worth the squeeze.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 9:49:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Are we talking about the same thing?  Microsoft Remote Desktop on the app store shows to have been updated a week or so ago.  Maybe you're thinking about the older remote desktop app (which was abandoned)?

A quick glance at ARD on the App Store and it appears it's only for MacOS or possibly VNC?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was referring to the stand alone version of MS Remote Desktop (I think).
Didn't know they brought another version back and put it on the App Store.

In either case, it shouldn't be needed. There is a stanadard VNC app built into macOS and can be found at /system/Library/CoreServices/Applications/Screen\ Sharing
This should (and did the last time I tried) work with connecting windows as its just a standard VNC app
If you need more features, ARD (is a Mac only app) but will still work to admin different platforms.. It still uses the same basic VNC services as the screen sharing app above and about 99.9% sure thats all MS did with their Remote Desktop app (Just use what's already built in)

ETA: The MS app is less than 60Mb.. thats exactly what they did.. used the MacOS App and put their interface over the top.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 11:04:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

In either case, it shouldn't be needed. There is a stanadard VNC app built into macOS and can be found at /system/Library/CoreServices/Applications/Screen\ Sharing
This should (and did the last time I tried) work with connecting windows as its just a standard VNC app
If you need more features, ARD (is a Mac only app) but will still work to admin different platforms.. It still uses the same basic VNC services as the screen sharing app above and about 99.9% sure thats all MS did with their Remote Desktop app (Just use what's already built in)

ETA: The MS app is less than 60Mb.. thats exactly what they did.. used the MacOS App and put their interface over the top.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's so they can connect through a terminal services gateway to a windows machine.    Had a user w/ an old Macbook.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top