Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2018 1:35:00 AM EDT
How does everyone normally pay on gunbroker auctions?  Not going to pay that 3% plastic fee bullshit.  Money order? certified check?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:36:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Might be a good idea to follow the seller's instructions
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:40:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How does everyone normally pay on gunbroker auctions?  Not going to pay that 3% plastic fee bullshit.  Money order? certified check?
View Quote
Most of the stuff I have bought on there, I have used PP F&F with no comments about what it is.

Now if the only way you will do business is without the legal 3% fee, your purchases might be few and far between, hell my LGS charges 3% on a in person purchase, in fact since it was legalized, a lot of business's around here charge it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:44:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Auction says Visa / MasterCard, USPS Money Order, Certified Check

Seller is an FFL. A+ rated
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:48:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Tou have to pay a fee to buy a USPS M/O all of my banks I deal with will give me certified or cashiers checks at no cost because I have accounts with them.  That said a lot of banks charge a fee for a certified or cashiers check as well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:54:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Tou have to pay a fee to buy a USPS M/O all of my banks I deal with will give me certified or cashiers checks at no cost because I have accounts with them.  That said a lot of banks charge a fee for a certified or cashiers check as well.
View Quote
Hmm good point.  3% for my purchase is about $65.  I'll have to call my bank tomorrow and see if they charge for a cert check.

Eta:
Looked it up. Cashier’s Check is 5 bucks.  That's same as a certified check right?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:57:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Credit card, although I compare price, CC fee or not and shipping fee or not to determine which vendor has the lowest tot price.

M.O. if I have to (common with antiques) which is a PITA (due the the generally higher item costs).
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:04:44 AM EDT
[#7]
A usps Money Order is less the 2.00 and a lot less hassle then a bank check. I use them all the time. One added bonus is they have no expiration date.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:07:30 AM EDT
[#8]
ALWAYS use a credit card with buyer protection on GB. I’ve been burnt by major sellers with A+ feedback before. Using a money order or debit card means you’re helpless if the item that arrives at your FFL is different than what was described in the auction listing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:10:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
SOme vendors don't add 3%.

I pay it if I have to (their price is better than someone else's 3% included) because damned if I am going to be bothered to go get 1-5 USPS MOs, (due to the lame ass 1000 dollar limit) mail them off, and wait even longer.

It is a pittance to pay for convenience and speed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 2:21:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I have only used a credit card or paid in person locally. Most of what I have bought doesn't charge a fee.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Hmm good point.  3% for my purchase is about $65.  I'll have to call my bank tomorrow and see if they charge for a cert check.

Eta:
Looked it up. Cashier’s Check is 5 bucks.  That's same as a certified check right?

If I am correct a Cashier' check is not the same as a certified check. The way the teller explained to me was, a Cashier's check was issued by the bank and   guaranteed by the bank.
A certified check was a personal check, the amount being certified at time of writing. but not guaranteeing the money would be there at time of cashing.

Most sellers I have dealt with on GB would take a USPS money order at a $1.75 (?) a whole lot less than 3%
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I only take cc/dc or visa gift cards no fee. I sell on here and gb. I have a cc processor and would be a fool not to use it. fuck paypal and their anti gun  agenda. dc/cc are covered by cc companys. I hate going to the po to get a mo.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I just bought a couple pieces off of GB. I used the MO route (.25) at Wally. They got to their respective destinations in 2 business days.

On 1,000.00, the 3% is another 30.00...basically you’re paying shipping twice on one item.

I’m a cheap fucker though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Credit card or nothing.  It's 2017.  It's the internet.  I'm not driving down to the damn post office to get a piece of paper.

This place is funny.  We absolutely hate USPS.  There are threads daily about their incompetence.  But for Gunbroker we're supposed to get a USPS money order and then send it in the mail?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:38:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Eta:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eta:
Cashier's check and certified check are NOT the same
I believe the certified check guarantees funds to the person who receives it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#16]
When will people start using VENMO, ZELLE, or  POP for purchases?
These are already on a lot of banks mobile apps.
Money is a direct transfer from bank account to bank account.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#17]
credit card over the phone without 3%, or a cashiers check from my credit union. Fuck USPS money orders, I dont like having to fill out a form telling them what I am buying.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#18]
People on Gunbroker need to get with the 21st century and start accepting CCs. This is why I don't buy anything from there.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Eta:
View Quote
On $65, I would just pay the 3%. Not worth the hassle. You should be getting 1-2% cash back in your CC anyways.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:00:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
credit card over the phone without 3%, or a cashiers check from my credit union. Fuck USPS money orders, I dont like having to fill out a form telling them what I am buying.
View Quote
Dude, you don't give them the form. That form is for your records, and so you can track down the M/O in case it's lost or stolen to cancel it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
People on Gunbroker need to get with the 21st century and start accepting CCs. This is why I don't buy anything from there.
View Quote
Shops almost always accept CC, I do. There is no Payapl and Gunpal or whatever it was ended up either defrauding everyone or was defrauded out of business themselves.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Dude, you don't give them the form. That form is for your records, and so you can track down the M/O in case it's lost or stolen to cancel it.
View Quote
The one and only time I went to get USPS money order, they wouldnt give me one without ID, then had to fill out a form they kept, with all my info, seller's info and what I was buying "To help fight terrorism" so never again.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#23]
USPS money order with tracking.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The one and only time I went to get USPS money order, they wouldnt give me one without ID, then had to fill out a form they kept, with all my info, seller's info and what I was buying "To help fight terrorism" so never again.
View Quote
I've never had to do that for a USPS money order.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:04:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, my post-office is a bag of dicks so I avoid going there any time I can.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Publication 342 - USPS Anti-Money Laundering Program
http://about.usps.com/publications/pub342/welcome.htm
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not sure about your bank. But mine gives me the CC at no charge. Have used them many times to complete transactions on GB.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yea, it must have been over $1,000 or something. I forgot they do have more for a certain dollar threshold. It's been 5+ years and in a different state, but I think USPS employees would always have me split it up into multiple money order to avoid it. They were probably committing a crime, looking back on it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not sure about your bank. But mine gives me the CC at no charge. Have used them many times to complete transactions on GB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Varies bank to bank and depending upon the type of account you have. I used to send lots of certified checks and specifically got accounts that would give them free. I think every single one modified the terms and charges for them now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I've received some of the most fake looking certified checks from bum fuck credit unions over the year. Like printed on regular printer paper, no water mark, just the bank's name, account number, dollar amount, and a signature on them. Not even a logo, just looks like something that a 6 year old could print up in 5 minutes, and they've always cleared.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Eta:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eta:
Humble brag thread. OPs is buying a $2100 pew pew.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've received some of the most fake looking certified checks from bum fuck credit unions over the year. Like printed on regular printer paper, no water mark, just the bank's name, account number, dollar amount, and a signature on them. Not even a logo, just looks like something that a 6 year old could print up in 5 minutes, and they've always cleared.
View Quote
Does not surprise me a lot of credit unions print their own checks in the branch to this day that have no watermarks an such, pretty common way for them to save money on check stock, they just buy a printer and use it with magnetic toner cartridges so the other bank that accepts don't have to hand process.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#33]
I've used both CC and MO, depends on the seller's instructions.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I've had the post office turn me away trying to cash a money order saying they didn't have the cash to pay it.

They said I could come back later (after they made some money throughout the day) or try another post office.

It kind of turned me off the USPS MO.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Oh yea, it must have been over $1,000 or something. I forgot they do have more for a certain dollar threshold. It's been 5+ years and in a different state, but I think USPS employees would always have me split it up into multiple money order to avoid it. They were probably committing a crime, looking back on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was over $3,000. And I was paying cash. And had no ID on me... I am sure it looked suspect as all get out- but I'd much rather walk into my bank, get a free cashier's check for said amount, have them offer me a free envelope and postage to mail it, and be on my way. I realize when paying with check, they want to hold payment until it clears, and that's fine with me too.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:07:34 AM EDT
[#36]
I just noticed on the gunbroker checkout screen it says ""NOTE: You ALWAYS have to contact your FFL and have them send a hard copy of their FFL number to the seller."

Usually my ffl just emails me a copy of their ffl for me to send to whomever is shipping the firearm.  Can someone clarify?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:36:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I just noticed on the gunbroker checkout screen it says ""NOTE: You ALWAYS have to contact your FFL and have them send a hard copy of their FFL number to the seller."

Usually my ffl just emails me a copy of their ffl for me to send to whomever is shipping the firearm.  Can someone clarify?
View Quote
That is not as uncommon as you might think, there are still quite a few selling FFL that require a Fax or a Hard copy before they will ship a regulated item to another FFL.  I have had selling FFL's request a hard copy of my license several times over the last few years.

Contact the seller and ask, if they require a hard copy, gunbroker often times put things in the check out process that some people are not familiar with.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have bought off GB for years and never had a to sent a hard copy of my FFL license, e-mail was all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top