Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 11/9/2021 4:35:42 PM EDT
A metallurgist in Washington state pleaded guilty to fraud Monday after she spent decades faking the results of strength tests on steel that was being used to make U.S. Navy submarines.

Elaine Marie Thomas, 67, of Auburn, Washington, was the director of metallurgy at a foundry in Tacoma that supplied steel castings used by Navy contractors Electric Boat and Newport News Shipbuilding to make submarine hulls.

From 1985 through 2017, Thomas falsified the results of strength and toughness tests for at least 240 productions of steel — about half the steel the foundry produced for the Navy, according to her plea agreement, filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Tacoma. The tests were intended to show that the steel would not fail in a collision or in certain "wartime scenarios," the Justice Department said.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/metallurgist-pleads-guilty-fraud-falsifying-steel-test-results-navy-submarines
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:37:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be executed.  The entire country's safety is riding on this stuff.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Apparently she decided on her own that it was "dumb" that the navy wanted testing done at -100 F.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Treasonous bitch.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Update

Investigation already conducted. She faces 10 years but should get life for treason.

DOJ
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Apparently she decided on her own that it was "dumb" that the navy wanted testing done at -100 F.
View Quote

I blame the 19th Amendment
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Uh oh shit is gunna hit the fan at work. I’ll update this post when I find out more info. But if it’s the foundry I think it is this effects Ohio, Virginia and Columbia class subs as well as carriers.
View Quote

Damn
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:43:01 PM EDT
[#8]
For fuck's sake!
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:43:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Treasonous bitch.
View Quote

worse, sounds more like she was just fucking lazy and didn't want to do the extra testing work. shit like this is probably more common within the military-industrial complex than we will ever know about.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Uh oh shit is gunna hit the fan at work. I’ll update this post when I find out more info. But if it’s the foundry I think it is this effects Ohio, Virginia and Columbia class subs as well as carriers.
View Quote
"...Thomas' conduct came to light in 2017..."
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Wonder how they caught her...
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#12]
More widespread than you'd think.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Not likely hull parts
Maybe some sort of gearbox/housing
It’s a casting.   That’s what the foundry in Tacoma makes.   I doubt there’s any castings on the hull, at least not structural parts.  Every internet news post on this is the same - they all plagiarize

I looked up FB and linkedin to see if there’s any pictures of her.  I just picture her to look like some crazy cat lady, stringy hair, thick glasses.  
So she figured she knew better than everyone else the rest requirements were stupid or ridiculous
There’s more than a few managers/engineers out there like that.  

I know of an aerospace metals company that years ago used to make their inspectors fill out reports in pencil.  But long before I got there.   White out is not allowed, but the rules said nothing of erasers I guess.  

Maybe execution is too harsh since there are no losses (yet) due to her criminal nature.   But spending the rest of her life at hard labor would be OK with me, with no chance of parole.  And no respite from labor.   Making big rocks into little ones.  Something like that.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
A spec is a spec and you QA to it, but -100 F is a dumb spec.

We check impact toughness at -40f and actually use the steel down to -20F. Navy never gets that cold.

Not defending this criminal, but pointing out our government wasting $$$ over specing.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
It wouldn't affect her much. She has lived a full life. All she has to look forward to is old age and failing health. She needs to watch her families future affected by her actions.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

EEOC and ERA
Plus coed universities

Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#18]
so the navy put reqs on a product and never independently verified it for decades and relied on the word of one woman for it?
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:50:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

If only the article explained it.

"...Thomas' conduct came to light in 2017, when a metallurgist being groomed to replace her noticed suspicious test results and alerted their company, Kansas City-based Bradken Inc..."
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:50:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Did she just opt not to run certain tests on her own volition or the material failed in testing so she fudged the numbers?  

Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#22]
<-- 36 years in aerospace foundry business, last 28 engineering.

That would be tough to falsify for that long...and there is an "act" out there will nail here to a prison wall.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:51:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

The article says that a new metallurgist hired to replace her when she retired found some things that didn’t look right
They were recently bought out about that time by a corporation called Brayden.  Ultimately owned by Hitachi now
I couldn’t find what the foundry was named in Tacoma before they were bought up

They reported the test discrepancies to the navy but did not tell them fraud was involved immediately.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

The sub that ran into an underwater mountain had more damage than the steel spec should have had I'm guessing.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We check impact toughness at -40f and actually use the steel down to -20F. Navy never gets that cold.

Not defending this criminal, but pointing out our government wasting $$$ over specing.
View Quote
Not if it's for Project Solar Warden!  
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If only the article explained it.

"...Thomas' conduct came to light in 2017, when a metallurgist being groomed to replace her noticed suspicious test results and alerted their company, Kansas City-based Bradken Inc..."
View Quote

DID YOU READ THE ARTICLE???!!!

Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Anchored out shoulder deep at low tide and make it so when high tide is in she is 2 feet or more under water.

Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Treason IMO, should be executed.  Stupid spec or not, not her decision.  And why the hell would she care if she has to test a piece of metal down to -100F?  So what, it's your job to test things.

Strip her off all monetary possessions, pensions, savings accounts, etc.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Dupes with stupid titles shouldn't count.

Nonetheless, I have no idea how you get from 'Wow, I don't know why they'd want those results' to 'I'll just falsify material performance data'.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Ductile to brittle transition temperatures are a real concern, but testing at -100F sounds like overkill.

Still not condoning such fraud
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#31]
LOWEST.  BIDDER.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Whenever I saw women in a lab at a steel mill (especially one that has .gov contracts), I always wondered if they were bringing their mental and emotional baggage to work in such a way that it could impact production or quality...

...no, that's fucking sexist, I thought.

Lab rats are meant to be the autistic ones; it's the only way No women. No cool guys. Just dorks.

Speed
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Anchored out shoulder deep at low tide and make it so when high tide is in she is 2 feet or more under water.

View Quote

Nah, make it two inches so that she thinks she has a chance of surviving.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#35]

What kind of a title is that beside being shitstained, retarded and moronic.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:56:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ductile to brittle transition temperatures are a real concern, but testing at -100F sounds like overkill.

View Quote

Yep. Way overkill for the material service.  Gold plated toilet seats.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or a missilecoptersub
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The sub that ran into an underwater mountain had more damage than the steel spec should have had I'm guessing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She was caught in 2017 by her replacement at the company.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Jesus.

She's screwed if this is true.  Juror's, prosecutors, and judges have a special place of priority for people who put armed service members at risk like this.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you know precisely why it was specified, that's a silly thing to say.

I have done work in applications way colder than that.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 4:59:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Infiltration from within.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A metallurgist in Washington state pleaded guilty to fraud Monday after she spent decades faking the results of strength tests on steel that was being used to make U.S. Navy submarines.

Elaine Marie Thomas, 67, of Auburn, Washington, was the director of metallurgy at a foundry in Tacoma that supplied steel castings used by Navy contractors Electric Boat and Newport News Shipbuilding to make submarine hulls.

From 1985 through 2017, Thomas falsified the results of strength and toughness tests for at least 240 productions of steel — about half the steel the foundry produced for the Navy, according to her plea agreement, filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Tacoma. The tests were intended to show that the steel would not fail in a collision or in certain "wartime scenarios," the Justice Department said.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/metallurgist-pleads-guilty-fraud-falsifying-steel-test-results-navy-submarines
View Quote

Again?
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Not likely hull parts
Maybe some sort of gearbox/housing
It’s a casting.   That’s what the foundry in Tacoma makes.   I doubt there’s any castings on the hull, at least not structural parts.  Every internet news post on this is the same - they all plagiarize

I looked up FB and linkedin to see if there’s any pictures of her.  I just picture her to look like some crazy cat lady, stringy hair, thick glasses.  
So she figured she knew better than everyone else the rest requirements were stupid or ridiculous
There’s more than a few managers/engineers out there like that.  

View Quote

I figured she would have had a mugshot posted.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as we know, anyway.  What if they're building Space Battleship Yamato?!  
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I dunno man the Arctic gets pretty cold under the ice. Plus you have to add in extreme colds and add a percentage for error. -100F is what’s in the spec so test it at -100F.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

If we were still a serious country, she would be. But alas...
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh, that would probably be the Japanese navy, not the US Navy…
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, until the sub is in water that's - 100 degrees then what Mr. Smarty pants
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably.  Maybe.  Regardless, her company bid for the work without requesting a variance and were awarded the contract while the competition was either higher or disqualified for being unable to meet the requirements.  Just because the government asked for it doesn't mean it's logical, feasible, or possible.  Having seen the shenanigans that occur with government procurement, it's very, very unlikely a single metallurgist was the only one in on the ruse.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

It carries the blame for much of our current problems.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top