Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2021 1:31:11 PM EDT
I’m finishing my basement and would like to go with metal studs. Are there any YouTube videos that can get me headed in the right direction as far as doorways, plumbing, electrical? I can handle wood but I have never messed with metal.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Curious as to why you want metal?
Just seems like it would take longer and more expensive to install vs wood with little pros
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just seems like it would take longer and more expensive to install vs wood with little pros
View Quote

Everything I've read is exactly the opposite of that and wood cost is through the roof at the moment. Plus I'm not a fan of putting wood below grade if at all possible.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#3]
DIY home renovision on YT.  He goes over it in detail in a couple of different videos.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#4]
If you know how to frame with wood it's the same . The studs have knockouts in them for electric wires . You have to use a Bottom / Top track . We use both steel and wood in our buildings and it's about a wash as far as speed .
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:44:53 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are just finishing a basement and don't need strutural Look for non-structural studs and track commonly called Drywall Studs and Track.  Use Self-Tapping fasteners for metal to metal, find specific fasteners for wood to metal.  Wear Gloves and watch the sharp edges of the stud/track, some metal framing has softened edges.   Good luck
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#6]
IM me an email address and I'll send some pictures of a basement that I finished recently with metal studs.
It's pretty much a wash going metal  as opposed to traditional lumber. Cost and labor is negligible, they both rot or rust in about the same time if you have moisture issues.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#7]
As far as door ways, a typical rough opening in height is 82-5/8" for an interior split jamb door. It doesn't change, you are just packing out with studs on the header and jamb with wood for a nailer.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:09:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Everything I've read is exactly the opposite of that and wood cost is through the roof at the moment. Plus I'm not a fan of putting wood below grade if at all possible.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did a partial basement with metal studs a couple of years ago. I wanted an industrial look, put galvanized corrugated steel on the show side, left the other side visible. I liked the look but in my novice opinion it was a pain to work with, not sure if i would use it again.  When I finish the rest of the basement I will be using wood.  Just my 0.02
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:23:37 PM EDT
[#9]
What's the plumbing and electrical questions about op?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:08:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I worked in commercial construction for 8 years and I've used a lot of metal track and stud.
It's been almost 35 years since I did it, but If I remember correctly, the sizes are: 1 5/8", 2 1/2", and 3 5/8".
I've used 3 5/8" track with wooden studs for speed and for getting very straight walls.
If you use metal studs, you should brace them against the outside wall by screwing a piece of plywood or OSB to the stud and the wall.
I would use pieces 1 foot long and wide enough to reach from the stud to the wall.  This will stiffen the wall.
If you run electrical and/or plumbing, you'll need the bushings that fit in the stud cut-outs to prevent chafing.
1" screws to hang the sheetrock, and self-tappers to fasten the studs to the track.
Don't forget to make sure that the stud is square in the track, by putting a square on it before you screw it.
For those walls that you can get to both sides, screw both sides of the stud to the track to remove the flex and make it easier to screw the sheetrock.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:12:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's the plumbing and electrical questions about op?
View Quote

Mainly the grommets. Mounting boxes just need 2x4 backers I’m assuming.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I worked in commercial construction for 8 years and I've used a lot of metal track and stud.
It's been almost 35 years since I did it, but If I remember correctly, the sizes are: 1 5/8", 2 1/2", and 3 5/8".
I've used 3 5/8" track with wooden studs for speed and for getting very straight walls.
If you use metal studs, you should brace them against the outside wall by screwing a piece of plywood or OSB to the stud and the wall.
I would use pieces 1 foot long and wide enough to reach from the stud to the wall.  This will stiffen the wall.
If you run electrical and/or plumbing, you'll need the bushings that fit in the stud cut-outs to prevent chafing.
1" screws to hang the sheetrock, and self-tappers to fasten the studs to the track.
Don't forget to make sure that the stud is square in the track, by putting a square on it before you screw it.
For those walls that you can get to both sides, screw both sides of the stud to the track to remove the flex and make it easier to screw the sheetrock.
View Quote

Thanks. This is helpful.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
IM me an email address and I'll send some pictures of a basement that I finished recently with metal studs.
It's pretty much a wash going metal  as opposed to traditional lumber. Cost and labor is negligible, they both rot or rust in about the same time if you have moisture issues.
View Quote

Done. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:15:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
DIY home renovision on YT.  He goes over it in detail in a couple of different videos.
View Quote

Thanks. I’ll check it out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:36:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
metal stud is a lot faster then wood framing. A LOT!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
metal stud is a lot faster then wood framing. A LOT!
View Quote

It sure is!
A nice compromise I used a lot in homes, was to use track for the top and bottom, and wood studs.
The top track was easily screwed into the joists or blocking by one man, and the bottom track could be shot down with pins just as quickly.
You now have a very straight wall and wooden studs just slide into place and you can screw them off.
I've used both metal and wood studs, and the wood studs and metal track give you a fast, straight, sturdy wall.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#17]
There are boxes designed to screw to the stud, or brackets that span between the studs that you can attach electrical or plumbing to.

The previous comment about attaching back to the wall at mid height is correct, however I would use a piece of corner angle screwed to the stud and pinned to the wall. The only place you should need wood is at doors or windows, or blocking for cabinets, grab bars, door stops, etc.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Find a metal stud / drywall supplier and get your stuff from there.
20 gauge equivalent is fine.

Big box stores either carry 25 gauge or 25 gauge equivalent which is garbage.

I’m a commercial GC and use 20ga eq on my jobs and you do not need self tapping fasteners for that thickness.

When I did residential basements we waterproofed the walls with drylok, glued up 1” foam then framed with 2 1/2” studs.

Interior walls 3 5/8 studs and wrap door jambs with a wood 2x4.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Find a metal stud / drywall supplier and get your stuff from there.
20 gauge equivalent is fine.

Big box stores either carry 25 gauge or 25 gauge equivalent which is garbage.

I’m a commercial GC and use 20ga eq on my jobs and you do not need self tapping fasteners for that thickness.

When I did residential basements we waterproofed the walls with drylok, glued up 1” foam then framed with 2 1/2” studs.

Interior walls 3 5/8 studs and wrap door jambs with a wood 2x4.
View Quote

Thanks.  My plan is 2" foam them metal studs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#20]
As Handydave said, buy from a metal stud/drywall supply, box store studs are horribly thin and a pain to work with. You also may have higher ceilings that require 54" sheetrock.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
As Handydave said, buy from a metal stud/drywall supply, box store studs are horribly thin and a pain to work with. You also may have higher ceilings that require 54" sheetrock.
View Quote

Ceilings are a hair under 8'. 7'10" ish.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’m finishing my basement and would like to go with metal studs. Are there any YouTube videos that can get me headed in the right direction as far as doorways, plumbing, electrical? I can handle wood but I have never messed with metal.
View Quote
For doorways, I always oversize my rough opening enough to frame the doorway in wood after the metal framing is complete. I have found the steel framed door openings are not as rigid and make noise. A wood frame inside the steel opening adds a lot of rigidity and sound deadening.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

It’s fast as hell, all you need is a pair of tin snips, a sharpie, tape measure, screw gun and a pair of vise grip clamps or spring clamps.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It’s fast as hell, all you need is a pair of tin snips, a sharpie, tape measure, screw gun and a pair of vise grip clamps or spring clamps.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We used crimps instead of screws to hold the studs together.
SCIF walls are a special kind of nightmare.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks. I'll check it out.
View Quote
@camerojrsmith

embed isn't working, so here's the link

popped up in my YT feed today.  This is one of his vids on it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Band aids, dont forget band aides, code requires that at least one freshly cut jagged stud must at some point puncture the skin of the installer...
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Band aids, dont forget band aides, code requires that at least one freshly cut jagged stud must at some point puncture the skin of the installer...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And sheet metal cuts are a special kind of painful.
The lubricant on the metal interferes with healing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top