Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2020 9:17:46 PM EDT
I had no idea these things were so expensive or desirable. I'm also surprised that I haven't seen one made out of 321SS, but I guess the price would keep people away on that one. I have very little idea what I'm doing with a welder, but I think I could manage something like this. Do any of you guys have any designs which would be cool to make?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Fire-pits/5-2324265/?r=-1&page=1&anc=85143483#i85143483

Attachment Attached File

https://hammermetalwerks.com/shop/ols/products/26-hexagon-breakdown-fire-pit

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]

I embrace the KISA principle.

Gots me a 12” high ring of Sch 120, 36” carbon steel gas line pipe.

Ain’t no camp fire gonna burn that thing out........
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a guy on this forum who makes a nice one.  Unfortunately I don't seem to have the website saved anymore.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:17:18 AM EDT
[#4]
At one time I had some large drops of 1/4” hot rolled steel left over from a project. I had planned to make a pit, but never did.  I saved these two pics because they were so simple.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I just quoted the second pic in the OP for a customer. Out of 1/4" plate, which might be slightly oversize, it was going to be 4' x 4'. Materials and labor alone I was going to be into it for almost $600. Expensive fire pit.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just quoted the second pic in the OP for a customer. Out of 1/4" plate, which might be slightly oversize, it was going to be 4' x 4'. Materials and labor alone I was going to be into it for almost $600. Expensive fire pit.
View Quote

the 2x2 size I'll do 1/8".  Up to 36" or so is 3/16.  Above that I go 1/4".  They get heavy and expensive when you're talking 1/4".
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

the 2x2 size I'll do 1/8".  Up to 36" or so is 3/16.  Above that I go 1/4".  They get heavy and expensive when you're talking 1/4".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're the guy from the second link? That's pretty cool.

I think I'm going to try my hand at my own fire pit. My wife wants to make something out of retaining wall blocks in the back yard, and our yard is so small I would really rather be able to move it and mow.

@kornbread

How much of that $600 is labor? I didn't think this would be that expensive, but maybe I'm wrong?
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

You're the guy from the second link? That's pretty cool. 

I think I'm going to try my hand at my own fire pit. My wife wants to make something out of retaining wall blocks in the back yard, and our yard is so small I would really rather be able to move it and mow.

@kornbread

How much of that $600 is labor? I didn't think this would be that expensive, but maybe I'm wrong?
View Quote

It was a little over $500 in materials. That was having my supplier plasma cut the shapes out leaving me to just weld it together.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It was a little over $500 in materials. That was having my supplier plasma cut the shapes out leaving me to just weld it together.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I'm going to try my hand at my own fire pit. My wife wants to make something out of retaining wall blocks in the back yard, and our yard is so small I would really rather be able to move it and mow.

@kornbread

How much of that $600 is labor? I didn't think this would be that expensive, but maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks. I plan on making a smaller one so it's easier for me to move when I mow. I will hopefully be able to cut and weld it all together.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 5:45:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Kornbread:

It was a little over $500 in materials. That was having my supplier plasma cut the shapes out leaving me to just weld it together.
View Quote

That’s why the material was $500. But if you don’t have the means to cut it yourself, it’s not like you have another option. 1/4” plate isn’t exactly light either if you have to handle a whole sheet.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 12:01:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

You'll pay for programming, nobody wants to work for free. And somebody has to throw that steel around, form it, etc.

Attachment Attached File

R.I.P. Ollie.
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Find a old washing machine .... pull the tub Wala  enameled fire pit.   ;) Im a chimney sweep by trade ask me about fire lol. If you Google washing machine fire pits you can get some pictures to get an idea easy Peezy
Link Posted: 7/3/2020 10:52:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Find a old washing machine .... pull the tub Wala  enameled fire pit.   ;) Im a chimney sweep by trade ask me about fire lol. If you Google washing machine fire pits you can get some pictures to get an idea easy Peezy
View Quote

Find one with a stainless tub, weld some legs on and cap the hole for the hub.

My dad picked one up for free for me (one of his HS classmates is an appliance repairman). Super light and portable. I've had it glowing red before and it has held up well. I'm not sure the enamel tubs will hold up to that sort of heat (there are different types of enamel).
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the new suggestions. My father has an old generator that he has taken apart and I'll be using the steel portion for a fire pit. From the looks of it, the thing was very large at one time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#15]
https://youtu.be/ugVYt4QoHig

Allison Custom Design

Fairfield, MT

All of his work is hand drawn and hand cut(not cnc).

Amazing artist, amazing family.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#16]
The low buck option that I run into frequently is the ends from old air tanks, oil tanks, or whatever tanks cut to the desired height and legs welded on.

You can find old fuel oil tanks or broken air compressors for free or cheap with some patience.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:45:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Dryer drum fire pitDryer drum fire pit
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#18]
OP your are in IL and I'm an hr West of STL.  Be glad to make you one.  I make mine from out dated propane tanks and other industrial salvage.  1/4in thick and heavy.
https://www.ozarkfirekettles.com

Other options on the cheap, the above mentioned SS Dryer Drum.  Those are the cheapest.  If you can find an old Dayton Rim from a school bus those work well.  On the bigger side a tractor tire rim works well too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Buy an old 500 gallon propane tank. cut off both ends and then cut the tube in the middle. Now you have two massive fire bowls and two massive burn barrels for $50 plus abrasives to cut (or use a plasma like we did)

Bonus is you can sell the bowls or barrels to recoup your costs. Around here you can cut scallops in the bowls and sell for $300. The barrels you can fill with wood all the way to the top and they'll burn so hot they get translucent. I can pile 20 2'x16" pine bucks into it and they'll burn to nothing in 30-45 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I use an old Syrup Kettle (aka Hog Scalding Kettle). I found it on Craigslist years ago. They became very popular and went up in price drastically. There is a company is SC that makes reproductions: http://carolinakettles.com/

Accountant
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine is a stainless steel wash tub out of a salvage washing machine.  I set it on top of a steel car rim.  Much like OP's, just more tiny holes.

I saw them at an automotive swap meet.  Dude was selling them with a bundle of firewood.  I recognized they were under priced and knew it would be getting cold that night.

I bought all of them, added $10 each, sold all but one.

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP your are in IL and I'm an hr West of STL.  Be glad to make you one.  I make mine from out dated propane tanks and other industrial salvage.  1/4in thick and heavy.
https://www.ozarkfirekettles.com

Other options on the cheap, the above mentioned SS Dryer Drum.  Those are the cheapest.  If you can find an old Dayton Rim from a school bus those work well.  On the bigger side a tractor tire rim works well too.
View Quote

Thanks for the offer. My father has a big piece of metal from an old generator that I think I'll be using. If that falls through, I'll be sure to drop you a line though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 7:35:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@kornbread

View Quote

If you end up going the "happy wife" route, do your homework on the various bricks before your start building it.
That way you can avoid recreating my neighbor's artillery, mortar and hand grenade simulating fire pit and pizza oven of doom.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you end up going the "happy wife" route, do your homework on the various bricks before your start building it.
That way you can avoid recreating my neighbor's artillery, mortar and hand grenade simulating fire pit and pizza oven of doom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@kornbread

That's hilarious, only because I'm not living next to it. I think I have a large metal ring which will be making it over here soon. It should be thick enough to stand up to the heat.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's hilarious, only because I'm not living next to it. I think I have a large metal ring which will be making it over here soon. It should be thick enough to stand up to the heat.
View Quote

If you are going to dry stack rock/block around that ring, great.  BIG IF HERE you plan to mortar that block/rock around your ring you need to allow for metal expansion as it heats up.  I'd wrap a couple layer of cardboard around the ring before you start stacking and mortaring your block.  When you go to fire up the pit, the cardboard will burn out leaving a gap for expansion.  No gap, and that metal ring will crack your mortal most quickly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you are going to dry stack rock/block around that ring, great.  BIG IF HERE you plan to mortar that block/rock around your ring you need to allow for metal expansion as it heats up.  I'd wrap a couple layer of cardboard around the ring before you start stacking and mortaring your block.  When you go to fire up the pit, the cardboard will burn out leaving a gap for expansion.  No gap, and that metal ring will crack your mortal most quickly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a great tip. I plan on doing as little as possible with this thing, but if we get crazy we'll do the cardboard for sure.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@kornbread

This.  Mine is failing after less than 2 years and not a lot of fires because the bricks are starting to break in the middle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top