Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/25/2023 5:04:13 AM EDT
GD has many different home build threads, with many interesting ideas.  I wanted to start my new home build 2 years ago - but with Covid, decided to give it a wait.  Finally met with an architect yesterday.

Not sure what even to think about it.  He came recommended.  I am sure he is probably good at his job.  But all he really did in our introductory meeting was try to play fucking mind games.  Apparently we were not worthy of his services after I showed him a CAD drawing of what I was basically interested in.  I tried to explain my main focus was getting North and West views from family rooms located both upstairs and downstairs - then he went to drawing up a rough sketch of a house that would have virtually NO north and west views from a family room.

I don't know if we just got off to a wrong start, because of preconceptions he had about us, or if he simply was an arrogant bastard.  I guess after getting a masters degree and working 20+ years as a professional - I am not used to being treated with absolutely no respect.  It kind of reminded me of going into an Apple store in the 80's - If you did not look like one of their normal customers, they would not wait on you.  My wife and I had busy days and we arrived at his office in our beater cars.
---
anyway, just curious for those who have built custom homes - what was your experience with your architects.  Are they all fucking primadonnas?  It has been close to 30hrs since the meeting and apparently, while I managed to not tell him to fuck himself during it (which was not easy), I have been getting more and more agitated the more I think about it.  I know I am not wealthy by today's standards - but I kind of felt like if I am going to build a 3/4 million dollar house I should kind of get a say in what I want it to be.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:20:27 AM EDT
[#2]
All architects suck.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:27:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Call him and tell him you have elected not to work with because he presents himself as an arrogant, self righteous. Asshole.  Then call whom ever recommended him and explain the same to them.

You saw his best in the first meeting and he is only going to get worse as the project progresses.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:47:01 AM EDT
[#4]
No need to get mad.  

You're paying.  If he's not designing what you want,
go elsewhere.

Arrogant assholes exist in every career.

And in my opinion, you're probably more than capable of
drawing your own plans with a little study.  At least try a
rough sketch of what you want.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:49:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Haven’t met an architect or a landscape architect yet that didn’t think they were gods gift to the universe in 35 years of working with them. I’ve known some very good ones, but they all seem to think that degree confers upon them knowledge of everything.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:57:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I know I always wanted to pretend I was an architect. Nothing is higher than an architect.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 5:59:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Tell him to fuck off and find someone else.

He clearly didnt like you or your ideas so just move on.  He probably just didnt like your vision and would rather work on something he cares about.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:04:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All architects suck.
View Quote

Show us on the doll where the building plans touched you.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:06:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
GD has many different home build threads, with many interesting ideas.  I wanted to start my new home build 2 years ago - but with Covid, decided to give it a wait.  Finally met with an architect yesterday.

Not sure what even to think about it.  He came recommended.  I am sure he is probably good at his job.  But all he really did in our introductory meeting was try to play fucking mind games.  Apparently we were not worthy of his services after I showed him a CAD drawing of what I was basically interested in.  I tried to explain my main focus was getting North and West views from family rooms located both upstairs and downstairs - then he went to drawing up a rough sketch of a house that would have virtually NO north and west views from a family room.

I don't know if we just got off to a wrong start, because of preconceptions he had about us, or if he simply was an arrogant bastard.  I guess after getting a masters degree and working 20+ years as a professional - I am not used to being treated with absolutely no respect.  It kind of reminded me of going into an Apple store in the 80's - If you did not look like one of their normal customers, they would not wait on you.  My wife and I had busy days and we arrived at his office in our beater cars.
---
anyway, just curious for those who have built custom homes - what was your experience with your architects.  Are they all fucking primadonnas?  It has been close to 30hrs since the meeting and apparently, while I managed to not tell him to fuck himself during it (which was not easy), I have been getting more and more agitated the more I think about it.  I know I am not wealthy by today's standards - but I kind of felt like if I am going to build a 3/4 million dollar house I should kind of get a say in what I want it to be.  
View Quote

Don't hold back, OP...name of the architectural firm? You know, so us TX folk can stay clear.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Our first architect sounded a lot like your guy.  We paid him a $5000 retainer.  He made a couple of shitty rough drafts and ignored our calls.  

We found a different architect we really liked.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Our first architect sounded a lot like your guy.  We paid him a $5000 retainer.  He made a couple of shitty rough drafts and ignored our calls.  

We found a different architect we really liked.
View Quote

Sounds like our first architect as well, we had a picture of a 1910 house we liked and he refused to even base a design off that.  All his ideas looked liked some shit box design from one of the big national home builders.  

The “design firm” had gotten attention as they were part of a huge home that was built on Lake MI for a known wealthy family and they were running on that one hit.

If anyone wants a firm in MI to avoid I’ll gladly name them.  

IMO, the high end architects for a residential home aren’t worth shit.  

We paid a local person by the hour, had our builder make some changes and that was that.  

Get someone else OP, building a home is stressful enough.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#12]
If he doesn't buy into your vision, you're wasting your money.  He'll never produce what you want if he isn't trying
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:51:36 AM EDT
[#13]
You met 87% of architects. Run.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 6:58:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Did you explain to him that you have a master’s degree?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#15]
We had the in-laws’ house built on our property.
I did a sketch, gave it to the builder.
We all sat down and went over it, he made suggestions, then brought us his sketch a week later .
We OKed it, and he built the house.

Everybody was happy
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:04:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:04:48 AM EDT
[#17]
This is YOUR house and if "Frank Lloyd Wrong" doesn't spec out what you want at the minimum you should call him out on why he's ignoring your minimum requirements...
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Forget the architect and find a draftsman.  Thank me later.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#19]
yea You have to find another one, that guy will continue his fuck fuck games until he gives you what HE wants or you tell him to F.O.    so dont waste anymore of your time with a guy like that. you will not be happy in the end
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#20]
OP you dont need an architect for house plans, take it from me, I put myself through college drawing house plans.  People who want to say "my architect" use them.  I was in architecture for 3 years before I switched to engineering, and glad I did.  

You need a home design and planning service, they are everywhere.  I drew the plans for my parents hosue and other friends and relatives.  The issue today is knowing the building codes.

Sketch out what you want and then bring these to a house planning service, they are typically not architects.  They will charge by the square foot.  I was getting 25 cents a square foot back 45+ years ago, I looked the other day and they local guys around here are getting $2 a square foot.  

Architects will charge a percentage, I have heard as high as 15%....so for a $500K house, that is $75K....NFW, get a house plan designer and drafting service

Architects want to put their name on all of their designs, it is a ego thing, a plan service will draw up just what you want.  Believe me, when I was drawing plans,  I was working for an architect, he let me do the plans on the side because he did not want to mess with them.  

@mousehunter

ETA:  Drawing your own is not that difficult at all.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:12:57 AM EDT
[#21]
OP,,,You need to run away. Our guy APPRECIATED our business and made the trip from Phoenix all the way to the boonies of Deep East Texas. He roamed the place with us, took pics, climbed in the Jon boat and took more pics and was in general a pleasure to work with. We're still friends today. Keep looking.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:16:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP you dont need an architect for house plans, take it from me, I put myself through college drawing house plans.  People who want to say "my architect" use them.  I was in architecture for 3 years before I switched to engineering, and glad I did.  

You need a home design and planning service, they are everywhere.  I drew the plans for my parents hosue and other friends and relatives.  The issue today is knowing the building codes.

Sketch out what you want and then bring these to a house planning service, they are typically not architects.  They will charge by the square foot.  I was getting 25 cents a square foot back 45+ years ago, I looked the other day and they local guys around here are getting $2 a square foot.  

@mousehunter

View Quote

This.  It's  a residence, not a skyscraper.  A draftsman will use software that ensures the plans meet code.  15 years ago we called an architect and in a snotty way he told us to expect to pay him at least 10% of the build cost.  $30k? Fuck off.  We took a floor plan and elevation views we found online to the draftsman and $500 later had our plans.  The dude had been doing this a long time and gave excellent input.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Did you ask them to do any math, because if they could they would be an engineer and not an architect.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:42:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Architects will charge a percentage, I have heard as high as 15%....so for a $500K house, that is $75K....NFW, get a house plan designer and drafting service

Architects want to put their name on all of their designs, it is a ego thing, a plan service will draw up just what you want.  Believe me, when I was drawing plans,  I was working for an architect, he let me do the plans on the side because he did not want to mess with them.  

@mousehunter

View Quote

This.

And ghost the dipshit.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Use an engineer.

Architects often like to make some "interesting" style and design choices. I think they feel a need to put their personal touch on everything.

An engineer will just be rather pragmatic about it, as long as you give them the information they need they will translate that to a plan.

Plan from an engineer I can deal with, any oddities can often be addressed and we can find an alternative method.

Plans from an architect are usually "I drew it, now you build it".
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:47:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Fire him.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This.  It's  a residence, not a skyscraper.  A draftsman will use software that ensures the plans meet code.  15 years ago we called an architect and in a snotty way he told us to expect to pay him at least 10% of the build cost.  $30k? Fuck off.  We took a floor plan and elevation views we found online to the draftsman and $500 later had our plans.  The dude had been doing this a long time and gave excellent input.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@mousehunter

I had a set of plans for a 4000 sq ft house given to me. We were doing layout and something just wasn't working, so I sat down and added up all the measurements on each side. The house was drawn longer on one side than the other. I called the person that drew the plans and asked them what they wanted me to do and she said "Oops, just make both sides the same length"

You pay $15k for a set of plans you on the foundation plan we get "Oops"?

Don't worry, I'll check all  your work for you.

The framers found a problem with the roof plans too and had to change stuff in the field to make it work.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:51:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

---
View Quote

Hopefully, you realize that talking to an architect was a mistake. You would do much better with a custom home builder who does his own in-house design work.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:53:37 AM EDT
[#29]
We had an architect design our house and while it wasn't as bad as some here, it could have been better. We went with a local one woman shop, though I forget how we found her in the first place, after interviewing with a few. She charged hourly, not the percentage the last few posters mentioned.

We gave a lot of direction in the beginning, I had a sketch and wife brought a ton of pictures for style reference. We also wanted simple, and didn't want to kill ourselves cost wise; we knew we weren't getting a home for tract housing cost, but we weren't looking for multi million either.

The main issues were cost; after the job was done, she kept trying to go in and add more artistic bits that we knew would just cost more money, things we hadn't asked her for and would have just padded the build cost. And her cost estimates were a bit low; I think she just agreed with us to get business. This was pre COVID, so not like that was the source of the cost difference.  Someone mentioned going to a designer instead of an architect; we did meet with one, and she was the only one to actually give us an honest cost to build estimate, though that woman didn't like my sketch layout, said it wouldn't work (it did, we're happy with it)
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:57:24 AM EDT
[#30]
If you are up around DFW, I can give you the contact for the architect we hired to design our house.

Not arrogant in the least and nailed everything we asked for. Charged about 1%, could have been a sweetheart deal for the builder we were working with (turned out to be an ass) but he didn't know us from Adam
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Show us on the doll where the building plans touched you.

View Quote

In the delay claims and change orders
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@mousehunter

View Quote

OP, listen to this guy!

I took a drafting class in HS. 25 years later, I used the information from that class to draw plans for the house I currently live in. Not a genius, no degrees. It's not rocket science.

$2/sq. ft. though? $4K for a 2000 sq. ft. house. No way!
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:01:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Get a 30 pack of Natty lite and find a rough framer. He’ll draw you a rectangle that is roughly house shaped on a scrap of 2x10 you’ll love. Come back 29 beers later to a studded out house he thought you approved.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Many architects, like interior designers, want to impose their vision on you, not bring your vision into being.  As already stated, find one that isn't a prima donna, or use a design/build service.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Broussard?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#36]
Most architects are guys who wanted to be artists, but weren't talented enough, or wanted to be engineers but weren't bright enough.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#37]
You'll probably avoid a half dozen unnecessary roof valleys by avoiding him. Architects seem to get paid by the roof peak these days.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Out custom home builder had people on staff that could draft, change, and stamp drawings.  They had interior and exterior designers to help with finish types, fixtures,  and colors too.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#39]
I got an architect that designs custom multimillion dollar homes. Asked a ton of question son my cheap build and we got what we wanted. He made suggestions, good ones, and we listened. Plans turned out great.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#40]
The few times when I was asked why I didn't go into architecture, I simply responded that I wasn't a homosexual, and therfore, disqualified from being an architect.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#41]
The one architect I have hired sounds similar.  I paid him his initial consulting fees and ghosted him.  

Draftsman from here on out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#42]
i have known personally 3 architects..   they were all assho

holier than thou know it alls..
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:36:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Do you need an architect?
Is an architect required by any codes or jurisdiction?
How many square feet?
There is a square foot threshold where a professional is required.

You could hire a custom home builder and sit down and spend you $750K.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Find another architect.

It was my third one that “clicked” with me.  The house I’m building is the same price range as yours. Over all property will be about 1.5m build out.

Edit:

I have fully rendered drawings of my house. In twinmotion, that I can walk through on my computer. Or with my oculus on. Know where every door knob will be. How the cabinets will fit. How all the quirky little things will be. Like washing machines, fridges, etc.

A good architect is invaluable. No wasted space. Everything laid out perfectly to what I wanted. No “damn, I wish I didn’t put that there…” or “damn… I wish I would have thought of that.” 2 years later.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Every photographer wants to be Ansel Adams

Every architect wants to be Frank Loyd Wright

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Art Vandalay?
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#47]
I’m a mechanical contractor.

This is probably the best piece of advice I can give anyone.
Whoever it is in the chain from the Architect right down to the guy putting up the fence or lawn.

Don’t deal with anyone who wants more than a 20% - 30% deposit before commencing work.

They shouldn’t rely on you to buy their materials.
The only exception is for things like cabinets or such which are custom ordered, just so you can’t back out.

Pay every 30 days or as steps are completed.

Hold back 10% till deficiencies are corrected.

Giving some contractors more than half the money up front means they will be doing other peoples jobs before yours.

The ceramic guy wants money so that he can bring the tile.
No bring the tile and I’ll give you the money.
Same with the window guy.

I’ve been in business for 35 years and have seen it all.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Architects take all the credit and none of the blame.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#49]
How dare you question his vision peasant.

Link Posted: 1/25/2023 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Forget the architect and find a draftsman.  Thank me later.
View Quote

This
Residential building designers tend to be much less arrogant.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top