User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any reason why people go crazy for billions and not 10s of millions. Was at the 711 today girl bought 20 mega millions and 5 or some other thing. I don't get why people get excited for the super jackpots when the regular one would be adequate.
View Quote

Moar is always better. This is a fact.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I got my tickets! I just called my boss and told him what an asshole he is and that I quit!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hostile takeover of Tesla if I win.
View Quote

Lol.

Elon would fuck your shit up so bad.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'd buy $200 million in BTC.  Open a long then buy $200 million more.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Come home to mother.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'd buy $200 million in BTC.  Open a long then buy $200 million more.
View Quote

I like you, no homo.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Less confusing than following a comment thread is to you.  I was responding to 338winmag.

View Quote
Not you buddy.  Next time click view all..or whatever it is.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought three tickets today.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#9]
The line was long at the store. I got beer and a ticket, I'm feeling pretty good about my chances.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#10]
$200 Mil to set aside. The rest to buy politicians and form a private army.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I believe that you are incorrect.

Think of it this way.  

1 in 100 chance of winning $10 on a one dollar bet is not "worth" playing, because of the house edge. However,

1 in 10 chance of winning $10 on a one dollar bet is "worth" playing, because the house has no edge.

It's only when the multistate lottery jackpots get this high that are worth playing.

Odds are 1 in 300M for $2.00 while the cash payout is $700M. No house edge. Yes, the caveat is the possibility of multiple winners.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only $739 million cash?  Almost not even worth playing...

It is absolutely not "worth" playing.

I believe that you are incorrect.

Think of it this way.  

1 in 100 chance of winning $10 on a one dollar bet is not "worth" playing, because of the house edge. However,

1 in 10 chance of winning $10 on a one dollar bet is "worth" playing, because the house has no edge.

It's only when the multistate lottery jackpots get this high that are worth playing.

Odds are 1 in 300M for $2.00 while the cash payout is $700M. No house edge. Yes, the caveat is the possibility of multiple winners.

There was a group that studied this topic and found that the odds of multiple winners increased enough during big jackpots that the lottery NEVER gets to the point of a positive expected value.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any reason why people go crazy for billions and not 10s of millions. Was at the 711 today girl bought 20 mega millions and 5 or some other thing. I don't get why people get excited for the super jackpots when the regular one would be adequate.
View Quote

I'm not willing to light money on fire on a weekly basis so I only buy a ticket when the jackpot becomes newsworthy.

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hostile takeover of Tesla if I win.
View Quote

LOL, you couldn't even afford a tenth of percent of the company on this win.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#14]
If I win the jackpot I will do what that one post said to do about attorneys, financial planning, and setting up trusts and LLC's to manage the money, as well as to figure out beneficaries and charitable contributions.  Then I am running for Senate!
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm not willing to light money on fire on a weekly basis so I only buy a ticket when the jackpot becomes newsworthy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much my answer. I wouldn't not be happy to win $20M but simply don't even bother til its ridiculous as the odds don't change regardless I believe
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well if you spent it all on Bitcoin that would drive the price up to probably double over night and then you sell the next day.

So 24 hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's say that you actually won the Mega Millions jackpot. It's $1 BILLION dollars.

Except that's for the annuity option. If you take the lump sum pay out it's only a measly $739.6 million dollars.

I mean after taxes that's only a shade over a half billion dollars. In Oklahoma, at 4% withholding, and with the Federal withholding of 25%, that's like a paltry $525 million.

If you invested every single penny, and didn't spend any of it on anything, how long would it take to increase that to a full billion? And what types of investment would bring the fastest increase to 1 billion?

Well if you spent it all on Bitcoin that would drive the price up to probably double over night and then you sell the next day.

So 24 hours.

You are significantly underestimating the market cap of Bitcoin.

A $500M influx would be a tiny blip.

The total market for crypto is near a trillion dollars.  That's a million millions.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:01:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wife is out of town visiting her sister.  She texted me and told me to buy a MM lotto ticket.

I never play burn money on the lottery.  I had to get the old lady in front of me to show me how to fill out the ticket.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I spent $20. My chances are just as good as the lucky bastard in shitty little Narcanistan, MD that won the $731 million Powerball this week.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Might be able to buy a case of 5.56....Might have enough leftover for two chicks at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Would 500 mil be enough to buy the presidency ?

I think Beltedstrasse would make a fine POTUS.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:37:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Gotta be in it to win it.

When I win it, I’ll host arfcom
View Quote

Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Math, it's hard.
View Quote

Someone doesn't get sarcasm
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:59:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I would buy the NRA, fire Wayne and the cat lady and put some real people in who give a shit about our rights. Then I would pocket the rest.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

If I remember Austrian(?)'s lottery thread, he recommended:

20% in trust for family events
20% in long term US treasuries
50% in an S&P 500 index fund
10% in cash (hookers and blow money)

Can someone really drop $220+ million into an index fund in one shot?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would buy the NRA, fire Wayne and the cat lady and put some real people in who give a shit about our rights. Then I would pocket the rest.
View Quote

While you're at it, give the Competitions Division to the CMP.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The total market for crypto is near a trillion dollars.  That's a million millions.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Let's say that you actually won the Mega Millions jackpot. It's $1 BILLION dollars.

Except that's for the annuity option. If you take the lump sum pay out it's only a measly $739.6 million dollars.

I mean after taxes that's only a shade over a half billion dollars. In Oklahoma, at 4% withholding, and with the Federal withholding of 25%, that's like a paltry $525 million.

If you invested every single penny, and didn't spend any of it on anything, how long would it take to increase that to a full billion? And what types of investment would bring the fastest increase to 1 billion?

So 24 hours.

You are significantly underestimating the joke.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Wait wait wait, you mean to tell me that there are ARFCOM'rs who aren't even billionaires??!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If I remember Austrian(?)'s lottery thread, he recommended:

20% in trust for family events
20% in long term US treasuries
50% in an S&P 500 index fund
10% in cash (hookers and blow money)

Can someone really drop $220+ million into an index fund in one shot?
View Quote

Yes.

Index funds are MASSIVE, but it would have to be a broad fund.

Sp500 is no problem.

SPDR DoubleLine Emerging Markets Fixed Income ETF?  Probably not without overvaluing the underlying assets causing a sell off.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top