Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2021 7:24:22 PM EDT
So I'm going to repaint some metal patio furniture (iron with the mesh sheeting for surfaces) and think blasting them might be a good way to start my prep; get rid of minor surface rust and crud.

I've got a compressor.

What's a good brand to buy?  How about media?
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 1:16:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Sandblast.

Not sure of media sizes.

I always used the bagged sand from lumber supplier, probably coarse playground size, there must be finer grit for your application.

I would lay down 6 mil visqueen plastic sheeting, to catch and reuse the sand.

Also place large cardboard barriers, in the direction you are blasting, to catch the sand.

We have a outdoor patio set of similar construction that will soon need the same process.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Find someone who can blast it for you, it will be cheaper and quicker.
A friend of mine who owns a blasting business, blasted his 60 year old expanded-metal outdoor furniture and painted it.
It looked absolutely beautiful for several months, and then the rust started coming back.
We figured the only way to completely coat that type of furniture would have been to dip it in epoxy and then shoot the top coat.
But it sure looked great for a little while.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Take them to have blasted, you don't want to be breathing that shit, it can fuck your lungs up. It get's pretty expensive to buy a fresh air supply, gun, and all the hose. Media is inexpensive.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I would blast and power coat the furniture. Most power coating shops have good size pressure pot sand blasters, and powder coat stands up better than paint.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would blast and power coat the furniture. Most power coating shops have good size pressure pot sand blasters, and powder coat stands up better than paint.
View Quote
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                                                     this
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

How much is something like that going to cost?

We've got 6 chairs, a smallish 3x3-ish foot table, and a 6' round table.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:04:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How much is something like that going to cost?

We've got 6 chairs, a smallish 3x3-ish foot table, and a 6' round table.
View Quote

Probably $500. Could get them media blasted for 100-150 and spray them with tractor implement primer and paint. Powder coat uses a lot of natural gas or electric for the oven, so the cost is up there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Probably $500. Could get them media blasted for 100-150 and spray them with tractor implement primer and paint. Powder coat uses a lot of natural gas or electric for the oven, so the cost is up there.
View Quote

Shoot, we've only got probably $200 in them.

Think I'm going to buy a cheap media blaster and see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:11:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd be better off with wire wheels on angle grinders and good paint.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:33:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You'd be better off with wire wheels on angle grinders and good paint.
View Quote

There's a thought.

Be a good reason to buy an angle grinder.  One of the tools I do NOT have yet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

There's a thought.

Be a good reason to buy an angle grinder.  One of the tools I do NOT have yet.
View Quote

Angle grinder will be much faster.  For any “nooks and crannies”, a small handheld media blaster would be perfect.  I have a soda blaster for that type of thing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:53:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess you're talking about the hood and the red tank media sprayer. I had to run two compressors to keep 80 lbs to the nozzle. Hope you got a 5 hp or larger. Most people in the sandblast business have a 25 hp diesel unit supplying the air. I tried sandblasting  antenna tower sections. Ended up using a wire wheel on the easier to access areas anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top