Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2020 12:08:37 PM EDT
Has anyone made a "mead" with real maple syrup (not HFCS with color and maple flavoring)? How did it turn out?
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 7:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked into it but never made any, 100% maple syrup was maple wine. Maple mead was a mix of honey and maple syrup also called Acerglyn.

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I knew there was a term for maple wine, I just couldn't remember it.

I have some mead in the basement aging, and I'm considering maple wine, but I was just looking to see if anyone has any experience with it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Has anyone made a "mead" with real maple syrup (not HFCS with color and maple flavoring)? How did it turn out?
View Quote

YES, I have (just made my 3rd batch with maple syrup). But I would recommend a blend of 2/3 MS and 1/3 honey. Keep in mind that maple syrup is 1) very expensive and 2) does not have enough hardly any acid in it. You'll probably need to add acid blend BEFORE fermentation.
For example honey is usually around pH 3.8 and MS is around pH 6.9.

Your best bang for your buck is to ferment a base mead, stabilize and back-sweeten with real (dark) maple syrup. But depending on how you like it, this may not be enough.

If you just ferment MS by itself to dry it will end up tasting gross- like wood flavored water.

Also I would age it in secondary with medium-toast American oak cubes soaked in bourbon, aging on oak will enhance the MS flavors and enhance the body for a relatively cheap cost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top