Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2020 1:54:00 PM EDT
I made and bottled 5 gallons of Mead back in 2017
Mead Project
and opened a bottle for the first time this week. It's amazing what two years in the bottle does. This stuff is so smooth and has lost all of the harsh burn it had when I first made it. It has lost a bit of the aroma but it drinks very nice. Even the wife was impressed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried making a few batches of that old fashion orange mead (JOAM)....the stuff is super easy to make, and turns out great. I never let it set that long though. I usualy bottle it after about 2 months.....and it's all gone a month or so after that.

Mead is ok.....it's a little sweeter than I really like.  I prefer making wine, but it has to age a long time to taster pretty good. Mead is simple and fast if you want to make something that's drinkable pretty quick and hard to screw up.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I tried making a few batches of that old fashion orange mead (JOAM)....the stuff is super easy to make, and turns out great. I never let it set that long though. I usualy bottle it after about 2 months.....and it's all gone a month or so after that.

Mead is ok.....it's a little sweeter than I really like.  I prefer making wine, but it has to age a long time to taster pretty good. Mead is simple and fast if you want to make something that's drinkable pretty quick and hard to screw up.
View Quote
What if I told you that you could make better mead by using appropriate wine yeast instead of bread yeast? And that is could be completely dry if you wanted it to be?
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What if I told you that you could make better mead by using appropriate wine yeast instead of bread yeast? And that is could be completely dry if you wanted it to be?
View Quote

Can confirm.  Did a home mead with EC 1118 and it went dry.  Tasty, and a nice experiment, but that yeast probably won’t be my go to.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Can confirm.  Did a home mead with EC 1118 and it went dry.  Tasty, and a nice experiment, but that yeast probably won’t be my go to.
View Quote

Give that man a Puppers...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top