Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2021 10:45:05 AM EDT
Anyone using Max Trax?  I want to get a set but the price must be fixed, $299 universally?   Do they ever go on sale?   Any vendors better than the others to buy from?   Oddly it seems not many places stock them or they are sold out right now.  

Edited to add, are 4 necessary or is 2 sufficient?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy once cry once but I got a set of cheapie chinese ones from Ebay for $50 2 years ago.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=2X+Recovery+Traction+Sand+Tracks+Snow+Mud+Track+Tire+Ladder+4WD+Off+Road+Black+P&_id=401697000080&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2658

They don't stack as well as the Max Trax do. I haven't used them yet.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw there are definitely knock-offs.  Apparently all made in China.  I’ll keep looking but you’re right, for the average user we won’t be using them frequently.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:47:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Suspension, tires, winches, skill, no ghey trax.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Axtiontrax, US made and of equal quality to maxtrax.

https://usactiontrax.com/shop
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I bought those first, and then the Actiontrax. There's a huge quality and performance difference between them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Suspension, tires, winches, skill, no ghey trax.
View Quote

They're another tool in the toolbox, and can be handy for the wife's rig too which doesn't need a winch. I have a vehicle that has a winch, 37s, and dual lockers, I still use my Actiontrax from time to time. Just another option to have.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I would look at the action trax. Four is better than two, two is better than none. I used my TRED 1100s last weekend to get out of the snow. They work very well and faster than a winch setup. Dropping tire pressure is beneficial with them as you want to avoid tire spin.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Awesome!  Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I used mine for the first time a few weeks ago in my side by side, stuck in several feet of snow. They worked awesome, I'll definitely keep bringing them with me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:47:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Awesome!  Thank you!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome!  Thank you!

No problem, the first real time I had to use tracks was to help a side by side get back up a ridge he driven down to recover a bear. The hill was fairly steep walking and was all baseball to football sized loose rocks. He would try to get speed and the rocks would just roll away and he couldn't ever gain distance.

We used my 4 tracks and would have to Egyptian railroad him a board length at a time, as soon as he got off the board he would spin. We got it all the way up a few feet at a time. No winch or any other tool would've gotten that thing out. Now my uncle, cousin, and his brother in law all have a set after that experience.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#11]
My buddy got his fully loaded 26’ uhaul stuck in the snow last week, 100’ from his new house. It took two hours of winching to get it and the car trailer out. I think it might have been able to drive out on its own if I’d had a set of good maxtrax. They’re definitely on the list of things I need now.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I’d love some of those things, but damn.

I’ve managed with just carrying a couple 2x8 boards. Wrapped a chain around one once and drove right out.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:48:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a small 2wd truck.

Got two sets of these shortly after buying it.

Snow Joe ATJ651 Thermoplastic Rubber TrackAssist Non-Slip Traction | 24-Inch | For Car Tires in Ice, Snow, Mud, and Sand (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4M4ZUC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_0YEW06743BXHTVYQPETE

Don’t get snow down here near Phoenix.
But these have saved me multiple times in fine sand and deep mud.
They roll up and come in their own bag.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:51:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Excellent product, that’s what I use.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Are the metal tooth version ActionTrax worth the extra $80?

View Quote

The first thing to wear out on these are the teeth on the end, pretty standard deal. With the metal teeth they won't wear, but now your tire is the soft part of the equation. Up to you which is the most important.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are the metal tooth version ActionTrax worth the extra $80?

View Quote

IMO, no. They are just standard hardware store bolts and nuts. If you start shearing off the plastic lugs it may be good to replace them with bolts 1:1. I’d personally rather have the heads of the bolts protruding vs the threaded portion, just so it doesn’t tear the tread blocks off my expensive ass tires.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Go treads, costs $120 bucks and are not huge like max traxx.
Helped me get unstuck more than a few times very happy with them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I’ve got a set of these.  Worked well for recovering cars stuck in snow.  I haven’t tried them elsewhere.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#20]
i wish Maxtrax was a thing I knew about when I live din Daytona beach. The number of everything that got stuck in that sugar sand was crazy! my favorite was a rental C class RV. That guy buried it up to the axels. We had to leave before the bulldozer got there to help
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top